follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 08-31-2017, 06:31 PM   #1
JeremyR

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TPMS reset in Bay Area

Hey guys!

Do any of you in the SF Bay Area have techstream and can program tpms sensors?

Switching the sensors to my new wheels and I had to replace one of them..

I'm sure the dealer will charge an arm and a leg so if someone in the bay could do it i'd rather throw some cash to a fellow enthusiast.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:17 PM   #2
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Hey guys!

Do any of you in the SF Bay Area have techstream and can program tpms sensors?

Switching the sensors to my new wheels and I had to replace one of them..

I'm sure the dealer will charge an arm and a leg so if someone in the bay could do it i'd rather throw some cash to a fellow enthusiast.
It's funny how the dealer would "charge an arm and a leg" for something like that. I work at Honda and it literally takes no more than 15mins to reprogram new TPMS sensors to a car. Usually the most expensive thing is the sensors themselves. I don't know how our TPMS systems are programmed but with how easy it is at Honda makes me wish the computer would recognize other vehicles.

I would say contact your dealer and ask what the pricing is before assuming that they're just going to rip you off.
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterSheep For This Useful Post:
JeremyR (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 01:38 AM   #3
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
I think based on @JeremyR saying "i'd rather throw some cash to a fellow enthusiast", he isn't interested or looking to take his car to a greedy "for profit" stealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
I would say contact your dealer and ask what the pricing is before assuming that they're just going to rip you off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
JeremyR (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 02:06 AM   #4
tintumz22

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Toyota 86
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
I went to Works Motorsports with my tpms issue (got it fixed) but they did charge me around $149 (dealership where i bought the car from reimbursed it so I did not mind the cost) but I do remember not being charged like that when I brought my first car for the same issue there (Cost went up? i dont know.) But I did bring my car first before going to Works to a subaru dealership but they did not fix the issue and charged me for $169 and recommended other stuff for further diagnosis (long story). Just sharing my experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tintumz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tintumz22 For This Useful Post:
JeremyR (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 02:43 PM   #5
JeremyR

Thanks guys.

I figure taking it to the dealer would be a minimum hour's charge of labor, and a wait time of anywhere from 2-4 hours or more for what is essentially a 10 minute job. Even if the price was less than $60 (which I doubt) it wouldn't be worth the time spent waiting.

I could do it myself, but installing techstream on a macbook would require me to do a VM to run windows on it so i can install it. Which seems like a lot of effort to do a such a simple task.

I did reach out to a few friends who have windows laptops, so it looks like I'll be purchasing the mini vci cable from ebay and going that route.

Also, I'd be happy to let anyone borrow it though who might need to do the same, or mess with anything else in techstream.
The Following User Says Thank You to JeremyR For This Useful Post:
tintumz22 (09-06-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 12:00 AM   #6
benrz
button pusher.

Drives: S.HB BRZ | TL
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I went to these guys in San Leandro: https://www.yelp.com/biz/wheel-works...dro-2?osq=tire when I first put on my wheels and they reprogrammed them for free. Your miles may vary though.
benrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to benrz For This Useful Post:
JeremyR (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 04:09 AM   #7
FR-Sky

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series [755]
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
You can buy the TPMS from ebay. However, if you want the code to disappear on your display then suggestion from above will be useful.
FR-Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-Sky For This Useful Post:
JeremyR (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 02:09 PM   #8
JeremyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Sky View Post
You can buy the TPMS from ebay. However, if you want the code to disappear on your display then suggestion from above will be useful.
I probably should of done that... the new one I bought from Subaru was 80 bucks and some change!

So I can really only imagine the price they would charge to reprogram.

With that said, I did purchase the cable off ebay, and it should be here next week, so I should of this situation remedied shortly
The Following User Says Thank You to JeremyR For This Useful Post:
FR-Sky (09-08-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 02:26 PM   #9
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I probably should of done that... the new one I bought from Subaru was 80 bucks and some change!

So I can really only imagine the price they would charge to reprogram.

With that said, I did purchase the cable off ebay, and it should be here next week, so I should of this situation remedied shortly
80 isn't too bad I called for a quote to a local Toyota stealership and they quoted me around $250+ I just laughed and said that's crazy. What dealership did you buy the tpms from for 80? Did you ever get a dealership quote for a reprogramming of a tpms?
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DandoX For This Useful Post:
JeremyR (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 02:31 PM   #10
PMok
Codename: Stitch

Drives: 91 MR2; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ; 18 CX-5
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,307 Posts
Mentioned: 462 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
80 isn't too bad I called for a quote to a local Toyota stealership and they quoted me around $250+ I just laughed and said that's crazy. What dealership did you buy the tpms from for 80? Did you ever get a dealership quote for a reprogramming of a tpms?
I *think* he's saying he got 1 TPMS sensor (4 needed) for $80...
Old 09-07-2017, 04:42 PM   #11
Student Driver

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Series 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
these are for TPMS in the wheels??? IIRC when I put my new rims on Wheel Works in Livermore charged me like $90 for all new ones (total)... I didn't realize how expensive these got!
Student Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Student Driver For This Useful Post:
JeremyR (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 04:50 PM   #12
JeremyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMok View Post
I *think* he's saying he got 1 TPMS sensor (4 needed) for $80...
It was Capital Subaru in San Jose. I've bought from them before, and I've had good success with getting them to match prices from https://parts.libertyautocitysubaru.com/ which I have found to usually be the lowest for OEM stuff. Although right now they have the TPMS sensor listed at $111.42

Interestingly enough, that is the same list price on my invoice from Capital Subaru.

I should mention though; my friend who works at Capital Hyundai ordered it for me (Both dealers are owned by DGDG) and the price was $73.54 + $6.80 for tax.

I never got a quote to get them reprogrammed, but people over at
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...s-reset-53499/ were paying around 99 bucks at the dealer back in 2009.

For 14 dollars and some change, I snagged the cable + software cd off ebay, which to me seems about the right price for something I can do myself.

Plus, being able to help other locals with it would be nice too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student Driver View Post
these are for TPMS in the wheels??? IIRC when I put my new rims on Wheel Works in Livermore charged me like $90 for all new ones (total)... I didn't realize how expensive these got!
I used to work for Wheel Works back in the day, and I don't have too many good things to say about them unfortunately. Chances are $90 for all 4 are generic reprogrammable ones, not OEM Subaru ones. And that includes a huge mark up over actual costs - which wheel works is known for.

You could probably start the whole debate that it really doesn't matter, they are just sensors. Although in my case, it would bother me that 3 of my sensors were OEM Subaru and 1 was not.

TPMS reprogram meet anyone? lol
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeremyR For This Useful Post:
DandoX (09-07-2017), spike021 (09-07-2017), tintumz22 (09-07-2017)
Old 09-14-2020, 03:06 PM   #13
zedthebrz

Drives: Silver ‘17 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
It was Capital Subaru in San Jose. I've bought from them before, and I've had good success with getting them to match prices from https://parts.libertyautocitysubaru.com/ which I have found to usually be the lowest for OEM stuff. Although right now they have the TPMS sensor listed at $111.42

Interestingly enough, that is the same list price on my invoice from Capital Subaru.

I should mention though; my friend who works at Capital Hyundai ordered it for me (Both dealers are owned by DGDG) and the price was $73.54 + $6.80 for tax.

I never got a quote to get them reprogrammed, but people over at
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...s-reset-53499/ were paying around 99 bucks at the dealer back in 2009.

For 14 dollars and some change, I snagged the cable + software cd off ebay, which to me seems about the right price for something I can do myself.

Plus, being able to help other locals with it would be nice too.

I used to work for Wheel Works back in the day, and I don't have too many good things to say about them unfortunately. Chances are $90 for all 4 are generic reprogrammable ones, not OEM Subaru ones. And that includes a huge mark up over actual costs - which wheel works is known for.

You could probably start the whole debate that it really doesn't matter, they are just sensors. Although in my case, it would bother me that 3 of my sensors were OEM Subaru and 1 was not.

TPMS reprogram meet anyone? lol
Hey Jeremy, do you still have this? Where in the bay are you located? Just picked up a set of Enkei Raijins and America’s Tire in SJ wants to charge me $110
zedthebrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:15 AM   #14
Wally86
Be Kind

Drives: 2020 86
Thanked 1,254 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedthebrz View Post
Hey Jeremy, do you still have this? Where in the bay are you located? Just picked up a set of Enkei Raijins and America’s Tire in SJ wants to charge me $110
As long as you have the new TPMS codes from the new set, you can get something as simple as a carista module on amazon and do it yourself for cheap.