follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 01-29-2017, 01:40 PM   #1
Aphaux

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Looking for a job/career with cars

I've worked in detail for 8 years and I want to move on, i'm tired of cleaning up after slobs and want to do something more. Help make beautiful cars. I am all right brain, artistic and I am driven. I am just tired of living check to check and utilizing none of my expertise.

I mod and maintain my BRZ.

I can build computers.

I shoot and edit video and dabble in graphic design.

I am driven to learn more and eventually master my talents and the skills I've learned.

I've done breaks, shift springs, trans stiffener, exhaust, oil, diff and trans, calipers, drums. Wrapped interior, interior lighting, sound systems, etc.

Could you wonderful people help me out and maybe give me pointers or ideas as to where I would fit best in the car industry? I just feel like there are jobs out there I am unaware of that I could be great at.

This is one of the few posts I've made so I apologize for any errors I've made. Thank you all very much.
Aphaux is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aphaux For This Useful Post:
Wondark (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 03:04 PM   #2
Wondark
Driver

Drives: MY17 CWP BRZ Limited w/PP
We have a lot of similarities, I wish you luck. Maybe you can be the inspiration for others depending on what you find.

Have you ever thought about vinyl graphics, wrapping and decals? I wouldn't suggest to just anyone to start their own business but it starts with quite low overhead costs. If you're wanting to actually work on cars though that will not get you far. It might however help with your interests in design.

Again, good luck and I hope you find something. We all are looking! Well except Tcoat I think he only looks at these forums and his car.
Wondark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:35 PM   #3
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
you should probably go to school and get some certifications so that you appeal to more companies. though, that is once you figure out which direction you want to go towards
Old 01-29-2017, 03:44 PM   #4
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Find a community college or technical school near where you live.

Check out their course catalogues. Find at least two things you think you might be interested in. Enroll in both...even if they are quite diverse.

You'd be surprised how quickly you'll know whether it's for you or not. Just takes one or two classes. Most schools allow you to move to something else within the first week if you find you're not in the right place.

Many years ago I found a free technical school for myself. It was a 5 or 6 month intensive course. I liked it immediately. After graduating top of my class, got a job and was good to go for almost 20 years, in a field I enjoyed.

Does not take a lot of money to get to where you think you might want to go. Does sometimes mean keeping your present job whilst finding the time to also attend school.
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToySub1946 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 05:51 AM   #5
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
you should probably go to school and get some certifications so that you appeal to more companies. though, that is once you figure out which direction you want to go towards
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySub1946 View Post
Find a community college or technical school near where you live.

Check out their course catalogues. Find at least two things you think you might be interested in. Enroll in both...even if they are quite diverse.

You'd be surprised how quickly you'll know whether it's for you or not. Just takes one or two classes. Most schools allow you to move to something else within the first week if you find you're not in the right place.

Many years ago I found a free technical school for myself. It was a 5 or 6 month intensive course. I liked it immediately. After graduating top of my class, got a job and was good to go for almost 20 years, in a field I enjoyed.

Does not take a lot of money to get to where you think you might want to go. Does sometimes mean keeping your present job whilst finding the time to also attend school.
These^

There is very little in the field that you can just walk in off the street and start doing anymore. The more training you can put on the table the better the odds of getting into an automotive position.
Dadhawk (01-30-2017), strat61caster (02-01-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 01:41 PM   #6
Jen

Drives: 2016 WRX, 2016 Corvette Z51 3LT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Here's a suggestion- I am intensely into cars and became a physics teacher. Half of the year is mechanics, the other half is electricity and magnetism. Do this in NY and you can earn 100k/yr after a while. There are still some shop classes at some schools, but this is getting rare. Then, you can talk about cars, make money, have off lots of days and enjoy/buy your cars.

We had an early release at 11 am today because there's supposed to be an inch of snow. Good times. And the kids are awesome. You won't feel like you are working except for grading labs.

This summer I'm hoping to teach MSF (motorcycle instruction courses). There's a lot you can do with teaching experience.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jen For This Useful Post:
zc06_kisstherain (01-31-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 01:48 PM   #7
JonRZ

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ w/ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Here's a suggestion- I am intensely into cars and became a physics teacher. Half of the year is mechanics, the other half is electricity and magnetism. Do this in NY and you can earn 100k/yr after a while. There are still some shop classes at some schools, but this is getting rare. Then, you can talk about cars, make money, have off lots of days and enjoy/buy your cars.

We had an early release at 11 am today because there's supposed to be an inch of snow. Good times. And the kids are awesome. You won't feel like you are working except for grading labs.
Great post! And expanding on that, I have a few hobbies. The few hobbies I have tend to cost a bit of money to get involved with. This is more specifically true when involving cars.

When I had decided what I wanted to do (involvement with IT), it really had nothing to do with cars yet it allowed me the resources (from a financial, time, flexibility, etc. aspect) to enjoy a hobby and passion without directly being a career choice!

It may be worth noting that finding a career that you can enjoy that will additionally give you the means to successfully enjoy your passions is certainly something to consider! Best of luck on whatever you decide

Edit: I see that you're into computers as well. Awesome. I'd be more than happy to discuss the route I took to get to where I am today. Just send a PM!
JonRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:22 PM   #8
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Start a youtube channel. Even if it doesn't become a career if you get enough of a following you can make some money on the side.

If you are good at computers and are good at teaching others about computers, put an add in the local paper or see if the local senior center would let you advertise with them. Even $20 an hour or some type of weekly cheap tech support for normal people can help with money. Some people just know absolutely nothing about computers, but really need to.

If you are good at modding and upgrading cars people are always looking for someone they can trust to do that. Go on facebook or your local forum here and see if people need help. Auto labor pays well, most people won't blink at a minimum of $75 an hour, and you could also sell parts to them as well.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:41 PM   #9
wreckedrex

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
I read or heard something sorta like this: Pick a company you want to work for, go to their website, find the jobs you think sound good, look at the required qualifications, go out and obtain said qualifications, then get the job. Made sense to me, anyway.
wreckedrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:01 PM   #10
00NissanNinja
The Thread Lurker

Drives: '14 BRZ, '17 GTI, MT09
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I'd recommend going to a school that does partnerships with the automotive industry schools like Clemson University and network like crazy. I myself really wanted to go into the auto industry as a mechanical engineer but found it quite difficult not having that in my university. Not only that with the shift in the industry to computers and automation technology they aren't as big into fresh mechanical engineers was another problem. Beyond that just getting in there did not guarantee I'd be doing something super fun for several years.

Learn some CAD with solidworks or AutoCAD. These are going to be used heavily with design even when you want to do something like interior design. If you like the modding cars and fixing them there are ways for you to get things going with regards to that as well. Its not too horrible to get ASE certified and you could shop yourself around to people as being a capable modder. For example using your own car and customers to show the quality of your work. I did my own mechanics practice for a little while myself on the side and what I did for my customers was be very detailed (and I mean really detailed) about everything that was done to their car.

Anyways quick answer, certifications, seek education with places that do partnerships with auto industry, utilize what you know now to figure where you fit and where you could bring business to yourself.
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:52 PM   #11
trippinbillies40

Drives: '22 WRB
Thanked 1,213 Times in 400 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Sorry I didn't see this post till tonight. I'm actually in Portland right now on business and would have been happy to meet up with you and tell you more about working for Subaru. Long story short, and not to beat a dead horse, but you're going to need a solid resume. For SOA, a 4-year degree is mandatory for anything but interns. Even our call center reps have them.

If you don't have a degree, plenty of companies will hire you with "equivalent experience" but that's for them to decide, and you need to be able to paint a VERY clear picture in a resume on how your accomplishments demonstrate you have that equivalent experience.

For example, my (soon to be former) room mate has about half of a mechanical engineering degree finished but quit half way through to work full time as a mechanic. He ended up teaching himself how to fabricate very very well with metal, fiberglass, and CF. He is also an extremely talented autocrosser, multi-time national champion. He got a job at 3R racing a couple years ago working on Pirelli World Challenge cars. All of this was on his LinkedIn profile. Who ended up calling him to recruit him? Tesla! He just accepted a job as a vehicle dynamics engineer. So, he'll be test driving Teslas to help shape their driving dynamics. No degree, but more than enough proven experience.

Based on what you've posted you're capable of, I would start by building a website about yourself showcasing your photo/video and graphic design skills. If it's good, you can use that as a reference. In the meantime, the advice everyone listed above is fantastic. Narrow down what you want to do, because there are about 4329429469832146932864193284 different "careers with cars" available, and an equal number of different education/experience requirements. Figure out what you want to do, and get trained to do it!
trippinbillies40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trippinbillies40 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (02-03-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 06:37 PM   #12
JeremyR

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I went to school to be an auto tech, and lasted for about 1 year when I finally got on the job.

I realized I like working on my own cars vs. others...

From the skills you listed, I would look for a local performance shop that needs sales or marketing help, with a bit of mechanical duty here and there. Maybe an apprenticeship somewhere?
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JeremyR For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 07:17 PM   #13
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinbillies40 View Post
Sorry I didn't see this post till tonight. I'm actually in Portland right now on business and would have been happy to meet up with you and tell you more about working for Subaru. Long story short, and not to beat a dead horse, but you're going to need a solid resume. For SOA, a 4-year degree is mandatory for anything but interns. Even our call center reps have them.

If you don't have a degree, plenty of companies will hire you with "equivalent experience" but that's for them to decide, and you need to be able to paint a VERY clear picture in a resume on how your accomplishments demonstrate you have that equivalent experience.

For example, my (soon to be former) room mate has about half of a mechanical engineering degree finished but quit half way through to work full time as a mechanic. He ended up teaching himself how to fabricate very very well with metal, fiberglass, and CF. He is also an extremely talented autocrosser, multi-time national champion. He got a job at 3R racing a couple years ago working on Pirelli World Challenge cars. All of this was on his LinkedIn profile. Who ended up calling him to recruit him? Tesla! He just accepted a job as a vehicle dynamics engineer. So, he'll be test driving Teslas to help shape their driving dynamics. No degree, but more than enough proven experience.

Based on what you've posted you're capable of, I would start by building a website about yourself showcasing your photo/video and graphic design skills. If it's good, you can use that as a reference. In the meantime, the advice everyone listed above is fantastic. Narrow down what you want to do, because there are about 4329429469832146932864193284 different "careers with cars" available, and an equal number of different education/experience requirements. Figure out what you want to do, and get trained to do it!
Excellent! He started at the bottom and worked his way up. That is how real life works. I hire new engineers every once in a while and they all want to start in the design and prototype areas. They are usually pretty disappointed to find out they will be crunching numbers, filling in spreadsheets and ordering materials on routine manufacturing tasks for their first several years. You don't start at the top or even the middle in the automotive field no matter how many wrenches you have pulled or concept drawings you drew in your high school class. You start at the bottom and work your way up just like this example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
I went to school to be an auto tech, and lasted for about 1 year when I finally got on the job.

I realized I like working on my own cars vs. others...

From the skills you listed, I would look for a local performance shop that needs sales or marketing help, with a bit of mechanical duty here and there. Maybe an apprenticeship somewhere?
THIS OH GOD SO MUCH THIS^ It is a blast to work on your own car, in your own garage, at your own pace, with nobody to have to account to but yourself for any screw up you make (and I don't care how good you think you are you will screw up). It is a whole different matter when you have to work on somebody else's car, following somebody else's rules, requirements, timetable and control. Not that there are not guys that still love it but it loses it's happy glow really fast. All those dealer mechanics that everybody here loves to hate on so much at least started out like the people that put them down so much. They loved working on cars and wanted to do it for a living. That gets beat out of them fast in real life.
JeremyR (02-02-2017), strat61caster (02-01-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 12:05 AM   #14
Silver Cervy
*Some really cool title*

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I considered taking the BMW training course at my local community college years ago, but in order to do it I would've had to have either postponed or completely abandoned getting my undergrad degree. The degrees you get from such classes (and the teachers will tell you this) will pretty much guarantee you a job at a dealership. But the problem with working at a dealership is that you have a very small ladder of progression, and at best you become a master technician and get to choose which dealership to work at.

Getting beyond a dealership is extremely hard, as there aren't many positions available, and you have to have good connections and a lot of luck to get such a position anyway. And as @JeremyR said, if you don't enjoy the customer relations now then you will hate it in anything else. Technicians get a lot of rap, some deserved and a lot undeserved, and I've yet to meet one who looks truly happy with his situation.

If you're really that committed, though, I'd recommend finding a local tuning shop or even a paint shop and learn under them, then maybe eventually open up your own place.
Silver Cervy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver Cervy For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-02-2017)