follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-02-2020, 05:22 PM   #3725
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickMonk View Post
Always appreciated Andrew. I guess I’ll need to suck it up and put it on the short list of To-Dos. Did you have any input re: sway bar endlinks and Rear LCA? Strongly encouraged vs do it someday vs stop majoring in the minors?
Rear LCAs are highly encouraged. Rear endlinks encouraged if using adjustable rear bar.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
MaverickMonk (02-02-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 11:21 PM   #3726
MaverickMonk

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Rear LCAs are highly encouraged. Rear endlinks encouraged if using adjustable rear bar.

- Andrew
Sounds fair, thanks again Andrew. Got some SPC arms to put on, and I guess I’ll skip the end links for now, I’m planning on spending a year once I’m on coils getting alignment setup before I start tinkering with sway bars. Cheers!
MaverickMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaverickMonk For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 01:07 AM   #3727
Cjymiller
Original 2013 Owner

Drives: 13 BRZ, Galaxy Blue Silica
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I'm still considering solutions for my rattling pillowball bearings on my rear top mounts. The easiest option would be to see if my OEM strut mounts match the diameter of my Ohlins R&T MI20.

Since I would have to pull the shocks and disassemble to determine this compatibility, I'm curious if this requires a realignment upon reassembly. The reason I ask is because I do not have any aftermarket suspension/handling components in the rear besides the Ohlins themselves (which are not camber adjustable), so I'm unsure how much variability there can be with my alignment after performing a top hat transplant.

Could anyone provide where on the scale of unnecessary-to-required, an alignment is after performing this experiment?
Perrin Headerback, OFH, OFT, Ohlins R&T MI20, 17x9 Weds TC105N, Hankook RS4 (235/40), TOM's JDM Tails, PCV AOS, Perrin Crank Pulley, Perrin Rear Trans. Mount, Whiteline Shift Bushing, SS brake Lines, Hawk DTC60, Bayson R Lip Kit, LED Lighting , Smoked JDM Sidemarkers, Rear Fog Enable, Carsmo Armrest, Grimmspeed Plate Relocater
φφκα
Cjymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:23 AM   #3728
ka-titties

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjymiller View Post
I'm still considering solutions for my rattling pillowball bearings on my rear top mounts. The easiest option would be to see if my OEM strut mounts match the diameter of my Ohlins R&T MI20.

Since I would have to pull the shocks and disassemble to determine this compatibility, I'm curious if this requires a realignment upon reassembly. The reason I ask is because I do not have any aftermarket suspension/handling components in the rear besides the Ohlins themselves (which are not camber adjustable), so I'm unsure how much variability there can be with my alignment after performing a top hat transplant.

Could anyone provide where on the scale of unnecessary-to-required, an alignment is after performing this experiment?
It shouldn't be necessary to realign.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ka-titties For This Useful Post:
Cjymiller (02-03-2020), strat61caster (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 12:58 PM   #3729
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjymiller View Post

If your ride height changes, you should have your alignment checked.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Cjymiller (02-03-2020)
Old 03-01-2020, 01:32 AM   #3730
Top Gun

Drives: 2013 FRS, 2015 FRS Turbo
I'm feeling a little uneasy about my alignment. Current set-up is 18x9.5 +38 on 255/35/18 lowered about 1.5 - 1.7" (Can barely fit a finger).
Is the toe too much? I had the alignment done 5 weeks ago.
Suspension: FA500 Gen 7, SPC upper camber bolt on the fronts, SPC LCA (toe bushing not installed), stock toe arms.

My alignment specs are:
Left Front: -2.7 | 0.08 toe
Right Front: -2.6 | 0.07 toe
Total Toe: 0.15
Steer ahead: 0

Left Rear: -2.1 | 0.15 toe
Right Rear: -2.3 | 0.12 toe
Total Toe: 0.27
Thrust Angle: 0.01
Top Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 02:16 PM   #3731
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
I'm feeling a little uneasy about my alignment. Current set-up is 18x9.5 +38 on 255/35/18 lowered about 1.5 - 1.7" (Can barely fit a finger).
Is the toe too much? I had the alignment done 5 weeks ago.
Suspension: FA500 Gen 7, SPC upper camber bolt on the fronts, SPC LCA (toe bushing not installed), stock toe arms.

My alignment specs are:
Left Front: -2.7 | 0.08 toe
Right Front: -2.6 | 0.07 toe
Total Toe: 0.15
Steer ahead: 0

Left Rear: -2.1 | 0.15 toe
Right Rear: -2.3 | 0.12 toe
Total Toe: 0.27
Thrust Angle: 0.01
I'd say so. Especially with that much camber, but those toe figures are still within factory recommended range IIRC. I would at least reduce the toe in by 50% or more.

example:
+0~0.07 front combined toe-in

+0~0.15 rear combined toe-in

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 02:35 PM   #3732
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Is there a reason for running toe out in the rear? would make the car more skiddish it would seem
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:52 PM   #3733
Top Gun

Drives: 2013 FRS, 2015 FRS Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
I'd say so. Especially with that much camber, but those toe figures are still within factory recommended range IIRC. I would at least reduce the toe in by 50% or more.

example:
+0~0.07 front combined toe-in

+0~0.15 rear combined toe-in
Correct it is within factory spec. The tech would set everything to within spec unless you say so. I clearly didn't pay attention to the toe. I'll bring it back and see if he can get close to 0 with the toe. Thanks!
Top Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:19 PM   #3734
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Clutch Dog: positive values means toe-in, negative - toe-out. So if he had positive both front and rear, it's toe-in on both axles. In most cases for RWD cars common alignment choice is zero toe front, and slight toe-in rear, for some extra rear stability under throttle and if with limited grip. Toe-out .. it's more of specific uses/needs where one is willing to ignore drawbacks. For example, if you make drift alignment with stock NA power, to ease loosing grip (as those that have enough power probably wouldn't resort to such 'hacks' with toe settings, rather prefering more control)

Top Gun: i'd probably prefer to dial front toe to zero. Maybe 0.2 total rear toe, but your rear +0.27dg toe is not that off to care. Still, your current overall your alignment seems drivable, with maybe a bit dulled steering.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (03-01-2020), strat61caster (03-01-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 12:46 AM   #3735
solidONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
Correct it is within factory spec. The tech would set everything to within spec unless you say so. I clearly didn't pay attention to the toe. I'll bring it back and see if he can get close to 0 with the toe. Thanks!
^ a bit of toe in the back for stability going straight.

I've seen some people setting toe-out either just the front or just the rear for turning characteristics. But like churchx was saying, usually these people know what they are giving up to get a desired effect. I like to run as much camber as reasonable for my use and 0 toe or "toe-less" for better wear up front.

JK maybe a touch of toe-in depending on how I feel. Just get 2 24-25" long boards and you can set your own toe however you like with reasonable accuracy. Toe-plates, DIY style.

Toeless

Last edited by solidONE; 03-02-2020 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:59 AM   #3736
BlueWhelan

Drives: 2013 Blue Subaru BRZ. 6 Spd manual
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Back when I had only -.6 degrees of camber, I ran roughly .1 total toe out in the rear to get the rear to rotate. Was kinda sketchy on bumpy downhill canyon runs, but on an auto-x course it had the desired effect.

Now that I have over -2 degrees in front, there's no need for toe out anymore.
BlueWhelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:49 AM   #3737
jmoham

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP Pack
I daily drive my car with spirited driving, never track or auto x. Currently I am running on coils with 18x9.5 +40 wheels squared on 245/35 tires. I have been debating about going on air for a handful of reasons. I have two questions; are bags specifically airlift performance series, are they a comfortable ride similar to stock or softer spring rate coils? Secondly, is it possible to fit my wheels while clearing the bags? Maybe adding spacers hoping it wont have issues with my fender as well. If not I would definitely find a newer setup with a lower offset but would it be possible to run them temporarily? Will it clear while riding and the only con is not airing out for the time being or something along those lines? Thank you!
jmoham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:13 PM   #3738
solidONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoham View Post
I daily drive my car with spirited driving, never track or auto x. Currently I am running on coils with 18x9.5 +40 wheels squared on 245/35 tires. I have been debating about going on air for a handful of reasons. I have two questions; are bags specifically airlift performance series, are they a comfortable ride similar to stock or softer spring rate coils? Secondly, is it possible to fit my wheels while clearing the bags? Maybe adding spacers hoping it wont have issues with my fender as well. If not I would definitely find a newer setup with a lower offset but would it be possible to run them temporarily? Will it clear while riding and the only con is not airing out for the time being or something along those lines? Thank you!
Your suspension links will stay the same length when you adjust the height via airbag, so you'd want to settle on a 'cruising ride height' and set your alignment for that specific height. I'd set it high in the rear for more of a camber gain when you rest it on the floor. If your wheels clear the fender at 'cruising height' it will surely clear the fender when you drop the ride height. On the air-bag side, no so sure.

That's the only thing I can think of as I have 0 experience with bags besides handling them when displayed at shows. Hopefully someone with airbags on their car can chime in. This thread there is not much talk abut airbags, but keyword search is your friend. I'm sure there is more info floating around somewhere on this website.