follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-24-2009, 01:20 AM   #1
TRD

Drives: Super integra
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Do you think FT-86 will have automatic?

I know FT-86 get 6speed but what about automatic?
It'll be nice what do u guys thinks?
TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:22 AM   #2
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,051 Times in 8,326 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
I pray they won't. Just like S2k, but I'm pretty sure my prayer won't be heard
Old 10-24-2009, 01:30 AM   #3
Shevon

Drives: Accord Coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hope not
Shevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:37 AM   #4
4agze

Drives: Toyota Corolla SR5
Garage

if you look closely the gauge cluster has a N im sure thats for the tiptronic transmission or hope for a dual clutch same as the LF-A
4agze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:42 AM   #5
7shades

Drives: JZX100, AE71(gze)
I hope not.
At least that will ensure it remains a sportscar, and out of the hands of hairdressers who are too stupid to work out what the third pedal does.
I doubt it though... There would have to be an auto of they'd be cutting out the not insubstantial poser market.
7shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:50 AM   #6
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Drives: Datsun Racing Hen
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Uh... why would Toyota not offer an automatic? It would make more sense to just include a well geared AT option for those who want it.

Aisin, for example, has a nice 6 AT.

They could theoretically even revive (and improve on) the design of the MRS's 5 SMT without it costing too much.

For those who are opposed to the idea, what does it matter if they offer some form of AT as an option? I could see people saying "I hope not" if it was going to be the only trans offered...

Saying "I hope not" is bascially just a (somewhat snobbish) desire to make the number of people who might actually buy the car fewer -- that's not a smart strategy for Toyota.

Just get the base version -- done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7shades View Post
I doubt it though... There would have to be an auto of they'd be cutting out the not insubstantial poser market.
Exactly what I'm talking about

The "you're not allowed to drive this car" attitude will hamstring their sales. Just buy the version you want with the options you want. This isn't an exclusive club -- it's a car

A 6 speed AT with tiptronic or (gasp) an improved version of the MRS' 5 speed SMT would be a smart option to offer -- period.

Offering the option will attract more buyers than it will lose.

Last edited by Jordo!; 10-24-2009 at 05:54 AM.
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:11 AM   #7
TRD

Drives: Super integra
Alot of people will be happy if this car came with automatic. I know they will buy it.
TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:17 AM   #8
White Comet
Resident Skeptic

Drives: '04 WRX
It has to have an automatic option, as low sales to the public at large without this option will sink the car almost immediately.

Even Porsche Turbos come with automatics these days. Like it or not, it's all about the Benjamins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4agze View Post

if you look closely the gauge cluster has a N im sure thats for the tiptronic transmission or hope for a dual clutch same as the LF-A
There is not even a snowball's chance in hell that the production car's interior will look even vaguely similar to that of the prototype. Everyone needs to stop thinking otherwise.
White Comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:22 AM   #9
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo! View Post
Uh... why would Toyota not offer an automatic? It would make more sense to just include a well geared AT option for those who want it.

Aisin, for example, has a nice 6 AT.

They could theoretically even revive (and improve on) the design of the MRS's 5 SMT without it costing too much.

For those who are opposed to the idea, what does it matter if they offer some form of AT as an option? I could see people saying "I hope not" if it was going to be the only trans offered...

Saying "I hope not" is bascially just a (somewhat snobbish) desire to make the number of people who might actually buy the car fewer -- that's not a smart strategy for Toyota.

Just get the base version -- done.

Exactly what I'm talking about

The "you're not allowed to drive this car" attitude will hamstring their sales. Just buy the version you want with the options you want. This isn't an exclusive club -- it's a car

A 6 speed AT with tiptronic or (gasp) an improved version of the MRS' 5 speed SMT would be a smart option to offer -- period.

Offering the option will attract more buyers than it will lose.
This might sound cruel, but those people could always learn how to drive a standard. Its not very hard.

I have no sympathy either when it comes to "but shifting while talking on the cell phone" or "shifting while trying to eat something is annoying" Shouldn't be talking on the phone, shouldn't be eating.
No sympathy because I've done both of those, while shifting, in a car that doesn't have a single cupholder. =P
People wanna drive a sportscar, they should learn how to drive a standard.

/shrug, but yeah, it'll come with automatic. The only thing that sucks about that is in the future, trying to source parts from wrecked FT's. "Aww, this one was an auto." Or trying to find a second fun car. "Damn, all of them are auto's right now." blah blah blah.

Let susy chewing gum blonde hair have her auto though.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:30 AM   #10
White Comet
Resident Skeptic

Drives: '04 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys View Post
This might sound cruel, but those people could always learn how to drive a standard. Its not very hard.

Let susy chewing gum blonde hair have her auto though.
It's a necessary evil. If Susy can't (and doesn't) get her automatic, we're not going to be able to get our stick shift. I don't think auto versions take away from the enthusiast market, since they are the whole reason for offering a stick in the first place.

We'll just ostracize those who do buy the slushbox at local meets, instead.
White Comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:07 AM   #11
S2KtoFT86
Resident Post Whore

Drives: 2022 WR BRZ
Auto's ruin the experience at least for me. The S never came as an automatic and it sold really well for the first few years. If they're really wanting to revive the sports car then revive the true sports car. Autos are for bitches. Sorry.

S2KtoFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:35 AM   #12
Ground N Pound

Drives: S2K
Absolutely will have automatic. Like some of the other guys said without sales of automatic FT-86s we won't have any FT-86 to drive because it'll tank. The unknown factor is what kind of MT or DSG transmission the car will come with (standard or optional).

While I love the fact that my S2000 only came with MT, making it that much of an enthusiast only car, I'm pretty sure that Honda could have sold a lot more if it was also offered with AT.
Ground N Pound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:00 AM   #13
S2KtoFT86
Resident Post Whore

Drives: 2022 WR BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground N Pound View Post
While I love the fact that my S2000 only came with MT, making it that much of an enthusiast only car, I'm pretty sure that Honda could have sold a lot more if it was also offered with AT.
Honda had a nice 10 year run with the S and only a MT. I don't think it'd be too much for this to only have a MT. I guess if it does have an AT, then it's not a purist car.

S2KtoFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:13 AM   #14
CoreDump

Drives: Protege 5
How about two trim levels, like Corolla SR5/GTS and Celica GT/GTS. The base model can be opted with auto while the top model comes with manual trans only. However, I wouldn't mind to have an optional DSG type trans on the top model though.
CoreDump is offline   Reply With Quote