follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 04-30-2022, 05:17 AM   #5797
EddyEggnog

Drives: 2019 BRZ Series.Gray
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hey everyone, I started the install of my C38 JRSC tonight. I bought it used from a local guy who had already sold his FRS but claimed to have all the parts. I asked him about the PCV valve, upgraded MAF sensor, etc but didn't check every single part before I bought it.

I ran into an issue with the pulley and stud that gets installed on the alternator side. I don't have a second 76mm pulley and I don't have the two stepped spacers that the pulley is supposed to sit on.

I can get a flat 76mm pulley pretty easily from Advance Auto Parts or AutoZone near me tomorrow, but I can't find any info on a replacement for the stepped spacers. The part number that the instruction manual lists as an "8mm ID stepped idler spacer" is 2630-07-J01 but literally the only reference to that part number online is the PDF of the install instructions. (And now this page I guess).

I found a couple close-up pictures from videos online of people doing the install. The spacers look like this:

Can I find a similar spacer at Lowe's or Home Depot or something? Some spacer that has an ID of 8mm and a OD of whatever the pulley needs. And if I can't find one that has the steps that keeps the pulley aligned, what do you think of putting some washers on each end to keep the pulley aligned instead, just as a temporary measure?

I'm going to reach out to Jackson Racing on Monday and try to order the parts from them. I realize I should probably just wait on the install until they arrive, but I'm antsy to get it tuned and going and not just sitting on jack stands in my garage all week. And the parts I'm missing don't seem that specialized or critical as long as the belt lines up correctly. A jury-rigged solution should work for the next few days at least... right?
EddyEggnog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 01:14 PM   #5798
JDMChris

Drives: 2016
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to JDMChris
They're custom spacers. Call Jackson Racing and order them.
JDMChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 07:17 PM   #5799
EddyEggnog

Drives: 2019 BRZ Series.Gray
I got the spacers ordered from Jackson Racing. For future reference they are $13.49 each. I'm glad they have the parts available and are sending them to me but I'm bummed that I won't be able to finish the install until later this week 😓
EddyEggnog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 10:23 PM   #5800
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have always used a setup similar to a forums member's example below. I didn't know if it made any difference at all until I data logged for a tune revision after changing exhaust setups. Using VD I tried to get similar conditions for testing:
Full tank of 93oct,
~80F Air temp,
~29.9-30.0 inHg
35 psi in tires.

The butt dyno didn't lie. The intake temp was consistently 5* C higher at the beginning of pulls with the Std JRSC air filter location. Additionally that location saw a 20*C delta from beginning to end of pull.

The bumper location saw consistent 15*C delta and started cooler initially. Mass airflow reading with the in-bay intake peaked at 223 (g/s) vs Bumper 239 (g/s) where the sensor maxes out its scale.

There is a major downside I have found mounting the filter in the bumper. The SC doesn't sound nearly as nice or loud! I had no idea how this kit actually sounded until the filter was in the Std location. BUT, I'll just deal with it.

Results will vary but, often FI cars with inside the engine bay intakes are dyno'd with the hood open. Cooling aside, this is not realistic at all. I wager none of them actually make whatever power the dyno says the second that hood is closed. We would never run an open filter in the engine bay NA; so why do we do it FI? An easy reference to correlate my result is from a YouTube video shot by Speed Academy. Their 260+ whp JRSC FRS barely walked a bolt-on AP2. 260whp and similar weight should leave buses in between vs 210whp. However, perhaps the car only ever made 230whp the second they close the hood? They attributed the results to the more aggressive gearing of the S2K. It wasn't the gearing. IMO

TL/DR

Blue: Stock JRSC intake location in the engine bay.
Red and Green: Intake similar to below.

Same tune for all.

Last edited by PulsarBeeerz; 05-15-2022 at 10:36 PM.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PulsarBeeerz For This Useful Post:
kevaughan (05-20-2022)
Old 05-15-2022, 10:33 PM   #5801
dynarun55

Drives: 2015 midnight blue limited edition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
I have always used a setup similar to a forums member's example below. I didn't know if it made any difference at all until I data logged for a tune revision after changing exhaust setups. Using VD I tried to get similar conditions for testing:
Full tank of 93oct,
~80F Air temp,
~29.9-30.0 inHg
35 psi in tires.

The butt dyno didn't lie. The intake temp was consistently 5* C higher at the beginning of pulls with the Std JRSC air filter location. Additionally that location saw a 20*C delta from beginning to end of pull.

The bumper location saw consistent 15*C delta and started cooler initially. Mass airflow reading with the in-bay intake peaked at 223 (g/s) vs Bumper 239 (g/s) where the sensor maxes out its scale.

There is a major downside I have found mounting the filter in the bumper. The SC doesn't sound nearly as nice or loud! I had no idea how this kit actually sounded until the filter was in the Std location. BUT, I'll just deal with it.

Results will vary but, often FI cars with inside the engine bay intakes are dyno'd with the hood open. Cooling aside, this is not realistic at all. I wager none of them actually make whatever power the dyno says the second that hood is closed. We would never run an open filter in the engine bay NA; so why do we do it FI? An easy reference to correlate my result is from a YouTube video shot by Speed Academy. Their 260+ whp JRSC FRS barely walked a bolt-on AP2. 260whp and similar weight should leave buses in between vs 210whp. However, perhaps the car only ever made 230whp the second they close the hood? They attributed the results to the more aggressive gearing of the S2K. It wasn't the gearing. IMO

TL/DR

Blue: Stock JRSC intake location.
Red and Green are inner bumper cover intake location.

Same tune for all.

Sorry whats going on with the red again ?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
dynarun55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 10:35 PM   #5802
PulsarBeeerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynarun55 View Post
Sorry whats going on with the red again ?

Red and green lines are with the intake in the bumper.
Old 05-15-2022, 10:36 PM   #5803
dynarun55

Quote:
Red and green lines are with the intake in the bumper.
Yeah I got that .. I wanted to know why Red was different from green...

Old 05-15-2022, 10:37 PM   #5804
dynarun55

Quote:
Full tank of 93oct,
~80F Air temp,
~29.9-30.0 inHg
35 psi in tires.

TL/DR

Blue: Stock JRSC intake location in the engine bay.
Red and Green: Intake similar to below.

Same tune for all.

I was also thinking the same thing and was wondering if a TRD style intake could be fit on the JRSC.

Old 05-15-2022, 10:38 PM   #5805
PulsarBeeerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynarun55 View Post
Yeah I got that .. I wanted to know why Red was different from green...

Look at the atmospheric conditions. Red is 86 F, green and blue are 80 F.
Old 05-15-2022, 10:57 PM   #5806
dynarun55

Quote:
Look at the atmospheric conditions. Red is 86 F, green and blue are 80 F.
Oh gotcha thanks!

Old 05-17-2022, 02:08 PM   #5807
Jackson Racing

Drives: JR FR-S,
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Eh, I doubt moving your intake resulted in a 30hp gain. I think the "virtual" dyno is giving you a false reading.

Filter location is for maintenance, ease of concern that your filter is actually connected/filtering air, and for easiest draw for the supercharger unit. As long as your bumper intake doesn't cause unnecessary restriction for the supercharger and you are good about maintenance, cooler air draw is not a bad thing. It just won't have the huge gains mentioned.

-Oscar Jr.
Jackson Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jackson Racing For This Useful Post:
tomm.brz (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 02:12 PM   #5808
Brz866

Drives: Series Blue WRB JRSC C38 HBP Flex
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Throwing in my 2 cents this is my setup. Perrin foam filter with recommended Amazon pipes from another post on here. I can confirm as well that it makes a noticeable difference in performance. As far as sound I can't hear almost any of the good noises anymore but apparently everyone pulling up next to me can hear it clear as day.
Attached Images

Brz866 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brz866 For This Useful Post:
PulsarBeeerz (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 11:26 PM   #5809
PulsarBeeerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Racing View Post
Eh, I doubt moving your intake resulted in a 30hp gain. I think the "virtual" dyno is giving you a false reading.

Filter location is for maintenance, ease of concern that your filter is actually connected/filtering air, and for easiest draw for the supercharger unit. As long as your bumper intake doesn't cause unnecessary restriction for the supercharger and you are good about maintenance, cooler air draw is not a bad thing. It just won't have the huge gains mentioned.

-Oscar Jr.
I agree that the difference shouldn't be THAT large. I usually get pretty consistent results from VD which is why it stuck out as the only change was filter local after a few runs to verify as it was unexpected. But even without looking at VD the difference in MAF (g/s) sensor readings and IAT was enough for me to take notice.

Curious, did you all try either option during development years ago? I know a competitor who also used Rotex units went with the intake outside of the engine bay. No idea if it was performance or packaging based.
Old 07-07-2022, 12:51 AM   #5810
FRScott

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Red Scion FR-S
Hey all. Just installed my C38 kit with the CARB tune and after a week of obsessively ensuring that everything is running well, it seems like everything is running as it should.

I do have a question regarding how the tune works with a stock MAP sensor vs. a higher resolution MAP sensor like a 3 bar unit. I know that there are people who have installed the kit with an aftermarket MAP unit and were able to see higher boost. If I installed a higher pressure MAP unit, will the CARB tune adjust for the higher boost or will I need to retune?
FRScott is offline   Reply With Quote