follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-13-2021, 11:29 PM   #29
gen3v8
Barred

Drives: My18 wrxsti My19 brzts
Thanked 1,178 Times in 607 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
+1 On the over think. These cars have been out for 8 years now and the tubes have been out for around the same amount of time and not once has MAF rescale for one came up. Stock, Perrin, custom 3.25", I ran and logged them all. The MAF doesn't care. FWIW I'd stick with a stock MY17+ setup as it has a very gentle bend compared to most aftermarket tubes, is already slightly larger than the MY13-16 intake and aesthetically looks better.
Except for the sound generator junk, which is probably on them all.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:21 AM   #30
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,059 Times in 769 Posts
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
overthinking and the parts that modifying filter and duct doesn't mess with the MAF sensor is false anyway, as any drop in filter into the oem box, will throw away the maf signal compared to what was before

While maf scaling precision is quite important for driveability and smoothness , there are too many variables , being weather as temperature and pression, fuel quality and composition , etc..
and those variables will make the afr constantly in the need of corrections (stft + ltft)

Thing is MAF signal will dictate also the engine load "signal", since it depends on the maf, so sometimes having a particular engine load swing is wanted even if that could throw away the maf scaling precision

Maf scaling is a simple 2D table, so there are other complementary tables that will adjust the final AFR and try to correct its scaling even against temperature and pressure change

Anyway, any mod to the intake even the smaller one could change things and need a check.
Think how many people are putting dropin filters into a stock car with stock tune, unaware they are leaning out the afr like crazy
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
gen3v8 (02-14-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 08:05 AM   #31
Cephas

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 (860 SE)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
Anyway, any mod to the intake even the smaller one could change things and need a check.
Think how many people are putting dropin filters into a stock car with stock tune, unaware they are leaning out the afr like crazy
So I did a drop in filter and the tube and my AFR is still exactly where it ought to be. Not sure where you're finding evidence that those simple, low-impact mods would have any sort of drastic effect on AFR. The system is quite capable of flexing to handle a much wider variety of inputs than a smooth silicone tube and a filter that flows a little better.
Cephas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:05 AM   #32
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
overthinking and the parts that modifying filter and duct doesn't mess with the MAF sensor is false anyway, as any drop in filter into the oem box, will throw away the maf signal compared to what was before
I need proof of this, surely this will change the AFR, but anything before a measure point can't affect measures. It's physic.
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:16 AM   #33
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Wouldn't the sound tube also impact the airflow? If you assume that a change in the intake hose diameter, profile of bend or lack of resonator would require MAF recalibration, wouldn't the sound tube delete require the same?

Why do you want to change the intake hose to silicone? As far as I can tell, there's no proven issue with the stock intake hose (marketing claims of "turbulence" due to the accordion bend notwithstanding).
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 11:44 AM   #34
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm surprised nobody's seen a difference in their logs after changing the inlet hose. On my E85 logs, I'd never seen engine loads above 1.30 g/s until switching to the Mishimoto inlet. Prior to that, engine loads peaked in the high 1.2x g/s range in the same ambient temps. Not a huge difference, but overall engine loads were a tick higher on the top end.

FWIW Delicious, Mishimoto, Perrin, etc. claim the inlets are good for a few hp on their dynos. That's obviously different from MAF sensor readings, but assuming a 3" silicon inlet doesn't throw the MAF sensor readings way off (which I don't think is the case since the MAF sensor location and housing stay the same), you'd expect to see slightly higher MAF readings if that was true.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 02:54 PM   #35
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,059 Times in 769 Posts
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi View Post
I need proof of this, surely this will change the AFR, but anything before a measure point can't affect measures. It's physic.
If the afr changes with a dropin filter and everything else stays the same, something messed up with A/F sensor or MAF sensor then.
Air doesn't go through the intake pipe where MAF sits as a steady wall of molecules , a drop in filter will certainly modify the flow and the turbolences around the maf measuring point
MAF sensor had an built in air straightener , it helps a lot in providing a stable flow to the sensor itself , but still, all the air that bypasses the straightener and doesn't get measured, you don't know about it directly, but only indirectly via the fuel trims and the A/F sensor

You can test by yourself with your ecutek kit, log with oem filter and then with an aftermarket dropin filter; check then afr target, afr actual, maf voltage, maf g/s, engine load, fuel trims and you will find yourself with 2 totally different logs
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote