follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 12-10-2020, 02:51 AM   #1
fitcious

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
help me choose tires

ok, time to get new tires for my frs. it must be summer tires with great grip. also dont want to spend a fortune as I only put around 2,000 miles a year on the car. My current tires only have around 5-6k on it, but its been 5 years. I know the Pilot Sport 4S are good...any other ones out there?

Size is the stock tire size as the TRD wheels I currently have uses the stock tires.

Thanks!
fitcious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 04:57 AM   #2
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,882 Times in 2,026 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
PS4S are good, but you might look at the "Extreme Performance" category for more grip and better handling feel (at expense of tire life, noise, and maybe some hydroplaning resistance)
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...earDiameter=17

Filter by category, look at "Extreme Performance Summer" and "Max Performance Summer". Most have test reports, study those to figure out what works best for you in terms of wet/dry grip, feel, noise, etc.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=262

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=242

etc...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
fitcious (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 11:43 AM   #3
Westen86
Purist

Drives: 2013 FRS - Hot Lava
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Yokohama Advan Apex V601
Continental Extreme Contact Sport

Dont bother with the Falken FK510

RaceComp SS-1, Complete SuperPro bushings, TR Motorsport FF10 17x9 +45, GruppeS UEL, HKS Hi-Power V2, OFT(93/E85)
Westen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 01:08 PM   #4
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
i think you would be wise to get a street performance tire.
dont let people recommend you tires that come as standard equipment on porsche GT3 and the like...

offroad tires on the street suck, street tires offroad suck, street tires on the track suck, track tires on the street suck, street tires on the street are great, and track tires on the track are great.

seeing as you have 800 forum posts and still created your own thread asking what tires to get for a canyon carver, i give you... the General G-max RS for $100 in the stock 215/45r17 size

fitcious (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 01:34 PM   #5
fitcious

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
i think you would be wise to get a street performance tire.
dont let people recommend you tires that come as standard equipment on porsche GT3 and the like...

offroad tires on the street suck, street tires offroad suck, street tires on the track suck, track tires on the street suck, street tires on the street are great, and track tires on the track are great.

seeing as you have 800 forum posts and still created your own thread asking what tires to get for a canyon carver, i give you... the General G-max RS for $100 in the stock 215/45r17 size

How is the compound on it? I’m worried that it will easily have flat spots from sitting vs other brands. Never heard of used general before.

Additional I create a new thread because this forum have lots of noise even in specific thread topics. Don’t have time to sift through those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to fitcious For This Useful Post:
HaXx (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 01:43 PM   #6
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,113 Posts
PS4S is good. Your issue will be dry rotting tires before wear is ever an issue.

You might be better off saving a bit and using something like Conti extrem contact sports... Or a step further and get Firestone Indy 500s. Weaker on the wet but if you primarily drive the car on nice sunny days they have good dry grip and stiff sidewalls.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
fitcious (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 02:05 PM   #7
fitcious

Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
PS4S is good. Your issue will be dry rotting tires before wear is ever an issue.

You might be better off saving a bit and using something like Conti extrem contact sports... Or a step further and get Firestone Indy 500s. Weaker on the wet but if you primarily drive the car on nice sunny days they have good dry grip and stiff sidewalls.

Yeah I only drive the car in summer and on nice sunny days here in SoCal.

My main concern are tires that can be slow to have flat spots with the compound they have. PS4S is good but I also hear it doesn’t do well sitting.

I’ve heard mixed reviews on the indy500. Looking into continental extemes...how about the hankook v2?

Old 12-10-2020, 05:18 PM   #8
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitcious View Post
How is the compound on it? I’m worried that it will easily have flat spots from sitting vs other brands. Never heard of used general before.

Additional I create a new thread because this forum have lots of noise even in specific thread topics. Don’t have time to sift through those.

I just bought the Gmax summers for my WRX and have the PS4S on my BRZ. Both are great, I felt that the Gmax have a softer side wall that made turn in feel a little soft compared to the Michelin’s. But the grip was very good, whipping around turns was a joy and were definitely on par with my old conti extreme DS that I had before for 7 years. Let’s see how these hold up long term.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (12-11-2020), fitcious (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 06:08 PM   #9
ZDan

Quote:
Yeah I only drive the car in summer and on nice sunny days here in SoCal.

My main concern are tires that can be slow to have flat spots with the compound they have. PS4S is good but I also hear it doesn’t do well sitting.

I’ve heard mixed reviews on the indy500. Looking into continental extemes...how about the hankook v2?
Given your usage, I'd say it comes down more to what you want from tires in terms of feel and noise. If you want immediate responsive feel and don't care about noise and harshness, it's going to tilt you to the Extreme Perf tires. If you want lower noise and smooover ride, Max Performance or UHP summer.

But again you'll want to look at test results/impressions and also at customer ratings to get an idea which tires will be best for you.

Can't help you on resistance to flat-spotting during storage...

I'm running Conti ExtremeContact Sport tires and they're pretty great street tires. I tend more towards running Extreme Perfomance category even for street-only use, but was going to use these to run a specific class with my time trialing club.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
fitcious (12-10-2020), HaXx (12-11-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 06:28 PM   #10
fitcious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Given your usage, I'd say it comes down more to what you want from tires in terms of feel and noise. If you want immediate responsive feel and don't care about noise and harshness, it's going to tilt you to the Extreme Perf tires. If you want lower noise and smooover ride, Max Performance or UHP summer.

But again you'll want to look at test results/impressions and also at customer ratings to get an idea which tires will be best for you.

Can't help you on resistance to flat-spotting during storage...

I'm running Conti ExtremeContact Sport tires and they're pretty great street tires. I tend more towards running Extreme Perfomance category even for street-only use, but was going to use these to run a specific class with my time trialing club.

I am def looking for immediate responsiveness and performance. Noise and harshness will not bother me as I only drive this car 2x a month or so.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:37 PM   #11
ZDan

Quote:
I am def looking for immediate responsiveness and performance. Noise and harshness will not bother me as I only drive this car 2x a month or so.
Falken RT660 probably a good bet
Or RT615K+ if $$$ important
RE71R is great, I've run a few sets of those street/track.
Dunlop ZIII
Hankook RS4

I think any of those would work for ya
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
fitcious (12-10-2020), RToyo86 (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 10:55 PM   #12
holeeray

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westen86 View Post
Yokohama Advan Apex V601
Continental Extreme Contact Sport

Dont bother with the Falken FK510

What's wrong with the FK510? Just for reference, I was looking for a tire that offers a bit more grip than the stockers, but not so much grip that I can't still break the rear end when I want to.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:50 AM   #13
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T Argento
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
It would be helpful if you could share what you've got on the car, what tires you're familiar with, and what level of grip, NVH, and firmness you're looking for (relative to your experiences).

I think what ZDan said probably will be good too btw. Unless you want to slide around, then breaking those would be difficult with our power (probably).

Falken FK510 are interesting tires .. I had them on all 4 and my steering lost its centered feeling. I was constantly moving my wheel left and right ever so slightly because I couldn't get the sense of when the front tires were centered. Also I didn't feel all too confident driving hard on them, but the harder I pushed them the more they gripped - odd. The most impressive thing is they gave wet traction like no other. Really amazing stuff in the wet. I have them on my rears only now.

I've tried Indy 500, Falken FK510, Achilles ATR 1 and 2, Nexen NFera SU1.

Indy 500s had great dry grip, good sense of steering. Harsher on the ride and noise, pretty strong sidewalls. Less wet grip than falken.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:53 AM   #14
ZDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by holeeray View Post
What's wrong with the FK510? Just for reference, I was looking for a tire that offers a bit more grip than the stockers, but not so much grip that I can't still break the rear end when I want to.
Again, go to Tire Rack and read their test reports. Falken FK510 is probably fine, but if you want livelier handling and an ability to hang the back end out...
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=247
The Azenis FK510 was composed, stable and secure around the track, and with a tendency to understeer when pushed beyond the limit, it felt like the driver could never get in over his or her head. This personality scored highly with our team, and the average lap times were a solid third, but to the enthusiasts in our group, it felt a little cold and clinical. The G-MAX RS was much livelier, with strong front-end authority and a tendency to rotate under power and through transitions.