follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 08-16-2020, 12:28 PM   #687
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sidewalls can be as stiff in a 16" tire. You are looking in the wrong category of tires. Check in the UHP category or upper and you'll find many choices. Otherwise, just select a touring eco category tire and call it a day. There are plenty of tires in this size too. Don't be so naive by searching performance tires exclusively in the 18+ inch marketing driven category.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:29 PM   #688
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
But it's not false belief that tires over latest few decades have improved immensely. And they keep improving. Pair that with tire manufacturers releasing new models in bigger sizes only .. We are not putting diagonal cord tires with white sidewalls on 13" wheels on ours anymore or considering that they will outperform modern tires? One needs to drive a line somewhere, where pros of smaller wheels outperform cons, and from where trying to stick with smaller wheels is less optimal choice with cons starting to outweight pros.
Also not sure if race car argument can be used much. After all, many races use not street legal tires of very low threadwear, so hardly considerable outside pure racing. And then there are several race types with regulated mono-tire. Again, how it's applicable if you want to choose best available in certain tire class and not being forced to specific selection?
True racing and DD have different demands. But let’s be honest most pick size for looks. So many cars with 18s that look great but drive rough on the crappy roads we have here in the northeast. San Diego and Florida that have no salt and winter, have nice smooth roads which make 18s more livable, if not better.

I will stick with 17s plenty of wheels and good tires, why spend more for 18s. If I was competing I would certainly consider a 16 setup if it was lighter than a 17.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:56 PM   #689
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
You get a much better ride on crappy roads with a higher sidewall. 205/55 R16 and 225/50 R16 are what I run.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:54 PM   #690
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
But it's not false belief that tires over latest few decades have improved immensely. And they keep improving. Pair that with tire manufacturers releasing new models in bigger sizes only .. We are not putting diagonal cord tires with white sidewalls on 13" wheels on ours anymore or considering that they will outperform modern tires? One needs to drive a line somewhere, where pros of smaller wheels outperform cons, and from where trying to stick with smaller wheels is less optimal choice with cons starting to outweight pros.
Also not sure if race car argument can be used much. After all, many races use not street legal tires of very low threadwear, so hardly considerable outside pure racing. And then there are several race types with regulated mono-tire. Again, how it's applicable if you want to choose best available in certain tire class and not being forced to specific selection?
I have no idea what point you're trying to make here...
Old 08-16-2020, 05:56 PM   #691
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
True racing and DD have different demands. But let’s be honest most pick size for looks. So many cars with 18s that look great but drive rough on the crappy roads we have here in the northeast. San Diego and Florida that have no salt and winter, have nice smooth roads which make 18s more livable, if not better.

I will stick with 17s plenty of wheels and good tires, why spend more for 18s. If I was competing I would certainly consider a 16 setup if it was lighter than a 17.

See, I disagree that 18s look good on these cars. They look clownish to me, like a 14 year old kid drawing a car. Tires need some sidewall to look like real tires...
Old 08-16-2020, 07:00 PM   #692
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
See, I disagree that 18s look good on these cars. They look clownish to me, like a 14 year old kid drawing a car. Tires need some sidewall to look like real tires...

I agree. 17s look perfect IMO. 16s look great too. 18s look like a mid 2000s concept car.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (09-23-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 07:30 AM   #693
grumpysnapper

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Its true tyres have improved over the last few decades and continue to improve, but that also includes 16" tyres.
Remember too that many of those so called "improvements" have been to try and replicate the (often) more progressive lateral grip transitions and ride characteristics of a more realistic side wall.
The other major "improvements" are producing massive diameter tyres that can also cope with the bloated overweight SUV sports barges with ludicrous power outputs.
Its hardly surprising that tyre manufactures are only making larger rim diameters in their extreme performance tyres.... a 488 Pista or a Mclaren 720s might be able to use their inherent capabilities...but how many 800hp, 800 NM @3000rpm, active aero, mega suspended, developed at any cost, road car BRZ/86's are there?
The reality is that the twins were not designed for maximum mechanical grip...in fact in my street at the moment is a brand new Volkswagen Caddy delivery van that came delivered with Michelin Primacys...
grumpysnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:05 PM   #694
Berserker

I can't remember if I have posted my set up here or not but lehgo

BBS 16x6.5's from a JDM Legacy Spec B. I use these for my entry level "Drag set up"

Fitted with a 245 NT555R out back for the hook & book

Old 09-23-2020, 02:18 PM   #695
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post

BBS 16x6.5's from a JDM Legacy Spec B. I use these for my entry level "Drag set up"

Fitted with a 245 NT555R out back for the hook & book
Sorry to go OT a little bit here, but I have the NT555R in a 245/45R17 on some wheels. Do they feel squishy to you? I haven't gotten to drive mine yet and I'm curious if I should have a second set of Azenis for the times when I'm not going to care about wheel spin.

To be on-topic, I run 16" wheels for my winter tires and love them. The ability to run a thinner tire with more sidewall is awesome
Attached Images

DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:05 PM   #696
Berserker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Sorry to go OT a little bit here, but I have the NT555R in a 245/45R17 on some wheels. Do they feel squishy to you? I haven't gotten to drive mine yet and I'm curious if I should have a second set of Azenis for the times when I'm not going to care about wheel spin.

To be on-topic, I run 16" wheels for my winter tires and love them. The ability to run a thinner tire with more sidewall is awesome
When you say squishy as in really soft when say putting your finger nail into the rubber? If so then Yea that's the nature of them They are rating at 100 treadwear. They are a much softer compound versus the normal NT 555 G2's which are I believe up near the 300 Treadwear rating. If you have the G2's on the front and the 555R's out back then the difference between them is pretty big.

Now if you are referring to my 16x6.5's with the 245's being squishy then yes again due to the narrow wheel and the side wall bulge hanging over the lip of the wheels. Going straight this isn't a issue or concern but if you had a square set up on 16's with bulge & you are road racing or hard corner carving then you would have a lot of side wall flexing imo. If I push on the side of my car standing still the tires will flex a bit & the car will wiggle.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:43 PM   #697
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post

Now if you are referring to my 16x6.5's with the 245's being squishy then yes again due to the narrow wheel and the side wall bulge hanging over the lip of the wheels. Going straight this isn't a issue or concern but if you had a square set up on 16's with bulge & you are road racing or hard corner carving then you would have a lot of side wall flexing imo. If I push on the side of my car standing still the tires will flex a bit & the car will wiggle.
The wheel floating in the middle of the tire is mostly what I was referencing, yes. I wasn't sure how noticeable it was for you when turning on these.
Mine aren't pinched so it should be better ( I also think my sidewall profile isn't quite as extreme) Thank you, I was just curious. I can't wait to feel them dig in! All of my experience with my turbo setup has been on winter tires. It'll be nice to be able to have the car grip.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:07 PM   #698
Berserker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
The wheel floating in the middle of the tire is mostly what I was referencing, yes. I wasn't sure how noticeable it was for you when turning on these.
Mine aren't pinched so it should be better ( I also think my sidewall profile isn't quite as extreme) Thank you, I was just curious. I can't wait to feel them dig in! All of my experience with my turbo setup has been on winter tires. It'll be nice to be able to have the car grip.

Funny thing is around town I don't notice any flex feeling but I am also not trying to push super hard around the corner's on that wheel / tire combo. You will be happy to actually be able to put some power down

If you have a 17x8 or 9 that 245 will sit nice on there.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:15 PM   #699
Bunny

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I'd like to thank everyone that contributed to this thread. I helped my girlfriend buy a Scion FR-S last year. She's always loved the appeal of the car, but eventually came to realize she wasn't a fan of the handling. For the last year, she's complained about how much the car shakes on the road. She wanted the sporty look with the luxury comfort.

I discovered this thread a few months ago and ended up convincing her to experiment. The smaller wheels and bigger tires made all the difference she needed to feel content.

Here's what she got if anyone is interested:

https://www.tourenwheels.com/wheels/tr60-blackred-ring/

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.j...!&gclsrc=aw.ds
Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bunny For This Useful Post:
bcj (09-25-2020), grumpysnapper (09-26-2020), venturaII (09-27-2020), why? (10-22-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 11:09 PM   #700
WolfWings

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Premium, Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
I discovered this thread a few months ago and ended up convincing her to experiment. The smaller wheels and bigger tires made all the difference she needed to feel content.
205/65R16 is a size I'm seriously considering, having run 205/55R16 for the first 2 years and change of my own Toyabaru. No rubbing issues at that size I take it? I love the look TBH.
WolfWings is offline   Reply With Quote