follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 07-29-2020, 12:54 PM   #15
BigTuna

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
+1 for the Falken. I had them for close to 2 years with similar duties to what you put them through. They wear much slower than others, but don' give up too much grip for it.

If you haven't, also look into the Maxxis Victra VR1. Its another contender that is usually lesser known due to not being on TireRack.
Old 07-29-2020, 12:58 PM   #16
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennlistuser3 View Post
Just making sure I understood things correctly: the above post you mean to say for 95% of us the 225 will not produce better lap times than the 215? or I misunderstood?
IMO it'll be a very small difference, difficult to detect unless very consistent driver!

Quote:
I sort of change my mind right now and I'm going for 225/45R15 Falken RT615+ just from the posts I've read so far. It's mostly for the cosmetic looks of a 225 and the price tag of the Falkens still being cheaper than the stones even at 215 and have longer life as I understood.
Yeah, sounds good...

Quote:
Sorry follow up question as well,
will the 215s "feel" better to drive? I came to learn from reading online that skinnier tires communicate better than fatter tires and generally feel more agile
Is this the case?
In my experience this difference varies depending on the make/model of tire. A tire with a flimsy sidewall is going to feel a lot better being slightly "stretched".

My approach without knowing specific tire characteristics would be to go 215/45-17 on 7" wheel, 225/45-17 on 7.5".

If you're leaning that way anyway... And if the punier look of the 215 on 7.5" might bother you...

You're not going to lose much if anything in terms of "feel" with a decent Extreme Perf tire IMO, going 225 vs. 215 on 7.5
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
rennlistuser3 (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 07:57 PM   #17
rennlistuser3

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
OK everyone thanks a million for all your posts and feedback

I ended up buying the Stones RE71R 225/45R17. I was trying to get Falkens of the same size but they were all sold out in my area! so I had to pay $165 US extra for the stones.

I could've saved money and got the 215s but I really just wanted to check out what the 225s are like in many ways including visual/feedback/grip/acceleration/agility, I just sort of like to try things out. I know it won't be apples to apples as my older 215 are Pruis tires but extremes are feedback nontheless

In all regards I think I was leaning towards the Stones anyway because of reviews I read comparing the two tires but I do understand the enthusiasm towards the Falkens especially for me the longevity, I'm hard on my car plus the price difference! wow!

Thanks everyone, I might post later on to give feedback if anyone's interested or something
rennlistuser3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:36 PM   #18
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
You're gonna love them. I ran 225/45-17 RE71Rs on my factory PP wheels (42 lb. wheel/tire), and went as fast or faster at the track on them vs. 235/40-17 Nitto NT01s on lightweight(ish) 17x9 6UL wheels (36 lb wheel/tire).
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
rennlistuser3 (07-30-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 01:05 PM   #19
jordan7831

Drives: 2016 Halo FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey everyone, sorry to take over the thread a bit. Im in a similar situation as I finally used up the junky nankangs on the rims I bought. Of the choices presented, which would be the best option to be used primary as a daily tire with occasional autox? I dont have the space for a separate set of tires. Thanks everyone!
jordan7831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:32 PM   #20
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7831 View Post
Hey everyone, sorry to take over the thread a bit. Im in a similar situation as I finally used up the junky nankangs on the rims I bought. Of the choices presented, which would be the best option to be used primary as a daily tire with occasional autox? I dont have the space for a separate set of tires. Thanks everyone!
OP here

Guess I might as well give my feedback

I came off destroyed OEM Pruis tires and wanted to try AutoX tires. I went for Bridgstone RE71 something I don't remember. They're practically the most famous AutoX tires out there I guess along with the Falkens.

I tried to get Falkens but they were all sold out in my area. I ended up paying extra for the stones. I don't remember how much more I paid but it was not a negligible amount.

The grip and handling dynamics are from another dimension all together. I don't have time to elaborate on my experience but I'm sure others here will chip in. It's just not fair at all.

Just to give you an idea, before when I was running the OEM tires I would place around top 10 in AutoX local amateur novice class. After I got these tires, I won the class trophy by 0.8 second margin (off memory not %100 sure but pretty sure).

My complaints with the tires is the excessive road noise to the point of wondering if there is a train driving by you when you listen to audio, and that the tires are so good they promote sloppy driving skill cause they're just too good and they promote very very bad driving attitude which I am not proud of at all.

To give you more feedback, after I installed these tires and went racing with him in closed circuits, I got blackflagged for riding the bumper of some guy in a lowered moded RSX who mistakenly thought he could gap me. I ran down a Porsche Macan S multiple times, and I gaped a lowered superchaged Nissan Z350. This is all off memory but I am not making any of this stuff up. I am still trying to get my head around in which way possible can this vehicle be called slow? I wouldn't call it slow in a straight line even let alone the hell it unleashes on track bone stock with just proper race tires. But then again what do I know? I just have a trophy from a local amateur novice class.

Sorry can't type much too busy but that's it in a nutshell on my side.

Also sorry for sloppy writing and misspells.

oh and by all means hijack away, I don't like posting on this forum anyway, I just come here if needed than scoot out of here.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rennlistuser3 For This Useful Post:
bcj (09-25-2020), jordan7831 (09-25-2020), Plumbus (09-28-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 01:42 AM   #21
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,297 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=255
More on Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R vs Falken Azenis RT660
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timurrrr For This Useful Post:
jordan7831 (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 08:44 AM   #22
jordan7831

Drives: 2016 Halo FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
OP here

Guess I might as well give my feedback

I came off destroyed OEM Pruis tires and wanted to try AutoX tires. I went for Bridgstone RE71 something I don't remember. They're practically the most famous AutoX tires out there I guess along with the Falkens.

I tried to get Falkens but they were all sold out in my area. I ended up paying extra for the stones. I don't remember how much more I paid but it was not a negligible amount.

The grip and handling dynamics are from another dimension all together. I don't have time to elaborate on my experience but I'm sure others here will chip in. It's just not fair at all.

Just to give you an idea, before when I was running the OEM tires I would place around top 10 in AutoX local amateur novice class. After I got these tires, I won the class trophy by 0.8 second margin (off memory not %100 sure but pretty sure).

My complaints with the tires is the excessive road noise to the point of wondering if there is a train driving by you when you listen to audio, and that the tires are so good they promote sloppy driving skill cause they're just too good and they promote very very bad driving attitude which I am not proud of at all.

To give you more feedback, after I installed these tires and went racing with him in closed circuits, I got blackflagged for riding the bumper of some guy in a lowered moded RSX who mistakenly thought he could gap me. I ran down a Porsche Macan S multiple times, and I gaped a lowered superchaged Nissan Z350. This is all off memory but I am not making any of this stuff up. I am still trying to get my head around in which way possible can this vehicle be called slow? I wouldn't call it slow in a straight line even let alone the hell it unleashes on track bone stock with just proper race tires. But then again what do I know? I just have a trophy from a local amateur novice class.

Sorry can't type much too busy but that's it in a nutshell on my side.

Also sorry for sloppy writing and misspells.

oh and by all means hijack away, I don't like posting on this forum anyway, I just come here if needed than scoot out of here.
Thanks for the detailed response, its much appreciated. Did you get the 215s or 225s for your setup?
jordan7831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:35 AM   #23
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7831 View Post
Thanks for the detailed response, its much appreciated. Did you get the 215s or 225s for your setup?
I got the 225s. I unfortunately am not expert enough to tell the difference between he 225s and 215 driver characteristic wise. I do know that the 215s OEM felt much lighter and agile but I don't know if this is due to the 215 size or the reduced grip of the compound.

The more expert posters on here will chip in better than I can

Looks wise the 225s definitely look better on the car than the 215. As a matter of fact if you're looking for looks than I believe off memory I met someone running 245 or 255 (I don't recall which) and he said there was no rubbing or anything and the car looked spectacular with those tires and of course drove on racetracks like it's possessed.
The Following User Says Thank You to rennlistuser3 For This Useful Post:
jordan7831 (09-25-2020)