follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 10-01-2021, 03:48 PM   #15
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
But I would recommend staying with either the stock wheels or some other 17" wheel. The combination of less sidewall by going wtih 18's and stiffer sidewalls from the runflats will likely not be a good combination for your rims or the ride.
The current Corvette has 19" and 20" rims and uses runflats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
Especially on a car (BRZ/86) that was not designed to be used with runflats
Which is why I was asking for direct experience with this platform. What's the actual difference? Does anybody actually know? Surely someone before me has done it.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 04:47 PM   #16
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've never driven runflats, but I always thought that their stiff sidewalls would be beneficial in spirited/track drive. Everyone here says this isn't the case, though. Why is that?
Tires like the MPS4S are praised for stiff sidewalls. Wouldn't runflats offer more of a good thing?
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 05:04 PM   #17
bucketfoot

Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
The current Corvette has 19" and 20" rims and uses runflats.
Keep in mind that the C8 was designed to use runflats, along with the fact that very few of these will ever be daily drivers that see bad road conditions on a regular basis.

Also the trend for larger wheels is all about appearance. Multiple tests have shown that 17" wheels offer the best performance. And yes a 15" or 16" will given a better ride than a 17" as there is more dampening which makes the overall suspension softer.

You probably already know this given what you are asking, but tires are a huge part of your suspension.

I wish I could give you direct BRZ/86 feedback (actually I'm not as given my past experience I would not consider runflats for my use), but the physics are basically the same. It is extremely common for people to want to get rid of their runflats. I'm sure people have done it, but I have actually never heard of anyone changing to runflats.

That said, I'll again say that they do seem like a reasonable option for your usage. I'd recommend 17" wheels, but that and $3 or so will buy you a cup of coffee

Last edited by bucketfoot; 10-01-2021 at 05:24 PM.
bucketfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 05:17 PM   #18
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Isn't it one of most common bmw "mods" - to get rid of runflats, to improve handling & performance & comfort? As for alternatives .. imho nothing beats spacesaver tire. Fix a flat kit & compressor is not that much lighter then spacesaver tire, doesn't allow to fix all tire damage problems, and in most cases tire shops won't fix tire that had that gunk used on. Spacesaver will help and can be relied upon, even if you have complete sidewall rip, and in many cases simple puncture of tire can be fixed in tire shop, letting to save on not having to buy two new tires (which will have different wear at that). Also spacesaver in many cars doesn't rob one of trunk space. Hence for all the reasons above imho those "donuts" are of best compromise.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
x808drifter (10-01-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 07:25 PM   #19
extrashaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
As for alternatives .. imho nothing beats spacesaver tire.
Until you die because of it.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:27 PM   #20
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Until you die because of it.

Well, looks like you’ll be the first test subject in this here forum. Good luck.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 08:38 PM   #21
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
If one dies because ignoring all warnings how not to drive with spacesaver tire, like going full speed on highway or driving too long with it or pushing on grip boundaries like as on normal tires .. it's due sheer stupidity and lack of common sense and being Darwin award candidate. And not as if driving in similar way with punctured runflats or repaired with foam gunk tires is much safer. Sane people should have no problems using spacesaver tires in intended way, and from miscellaneous compromises it seems best all-rounder for reasons i mentioned before. Obviously, full-size spare would be much better option for morons ignoring warnings purely driving wise, but caveats of lugging extra weight and robbing from trunk space for that one puncture per year or two offsets gain.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 12:42 AM   #22
pope
has a funny hat

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Has anyone here actually installed runflats on your 86 or BRZ and have experience with them on this platform?

Pros?

Cons?

How do the stiffer sidewalls handle rough roads and potholes?

Recommended brand and model?

I use my BRZ as a daily and long distance driver across the hurricane zone along the Gulf Coast. After every hurricane I end up with flats because of all the nails and screws littered in the road when people start hauling away demolition debris.

It's inconvenient to have to stop many miles from home to get a tire patched, but it's worse when they say, "Oh, that's too close to the sidewall, but I could get you a new tire here in three days." Looking for alternative solutions.
I currently have Michelin PS4 ZP (Zero Pressure) run flats on stock wheels on my BRZ.

Pro: I don't worry about getting a flat. I also have AAA and the space saver in the trunk, so I really don't worry about flats.

Cons:

How do the stiffer sidewalls handle rough roads and potholes? The ride might have gotten slightly harsher, but the oem shocks/struts already seemed harsh on the generally shitty MI roads.

I did not purposely seek out the ZP variant of the PS4. Costco had a Michelin sale and the lowest price compatible tire option happened to be 225/45r17 PS4 ZP's, but the way they were listed on the computer it was not apparent they were the ZP until after the receipt printed. Even then, I did not know what the ZP designation meant until I got home and googled it. I almost canceled the order based on the reviews, but the cost savings was enough I decided to just go with it.

I have no complaints. I also have no complaints about putting a 225 on the stock rim, which is supposed to make turn-in a bit squishy. I don't have any great driving roads around me, but I have a couple okay driving roads and the steering feel with my current tires is infinitely better than the no name budget tires the previous owner had on my car.

I'll be the first to admit, my driving situation in no way requires a "high end", 200tw, summer performance tire, but I would have paid significantly more for less tire at the time, so I have what I have.

I'm just speculating here, but also I kinda think the hard, run flat sidewall is actually offsetting the squish of the extra width, so instead of having two negatives, my "non-ideal" setup balanced out. It's also very possible I don't push my car hard enough to find a problem with the setup.
pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pope For This Useful Post:
extrashaky (10-03-2021), Ohio Enthusiast (10-02-2021), Pointmutation (05-06-2023), soundman98 (10-02-2021), x808drifter (10-02-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 07:07 PM   #23
extrashaky

Quote:
If one dies because ignoring all warnings how not to drive with spacesaver tire, like going full speed on highway or driving too long with it or pushing on grip boundaries like as on normal tires ...
No, it has nothing to do with any of that. You'd die because you didn't bother reading the dangerous situation I described that I'd like to avoid, and you'd get your head splattered all over the road like the last guy who died out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
I currently have Michelin PS4 ZP (Zero Pressure) run flats on stock wheels on my BRZ.
Thanks for your impressions. That was exactly what I was looking for, and in fact I was considering the PS4 ZP tire (just because I've never gone wrong with Michelins since the redlines I put on my TR6 in 1986).
Old 10-03-2021, 07:15 PM   #24
extrashaky

Quote:
If one dies.. it's due sheer stupidity and lack of common sense and being Darwin award candidate.
18.2 miles. More than 1000 collisions since 2014. At least 15 deaths.

"Derpie derp derp it's your own fault if you don't use a donut correctly."

Go stand out there and change a tire inches from the travel lane.

Fool.

[IMG]https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/theadvocate.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/f/5b/f5b***ac-c938-11e9-8437-6b7259e316a2/5d65e280ec7ae.image.jpg[/IMG]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
EAGLE5 (10-03-2021), Ultramaroon (10-03-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 07:22 PM   #25
extrashaky

I get to run this one frequently also. Pontchartrain Causeway. 24 miles. Average speed, about 80 mph.

The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (10-03-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 07:27 PM   #26
extrashaky

I run the Mississippi bridges as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (10-03-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 07:48 PM   #27
extrashaky

Off the bridges and on "dry" land, it's not unusual for the shoulder to look like this:

And even when it's "dry," I drive through a lot of swamps. You don't pull off beyond the shoulder in a swampy area, because you're not coming back out without help. Even a grassy area that looks stable will be mushy. So that means you're changing the tire with the entire vehicle on the pavement, inches from whizzing traffic. It's no safer than being on a bridge.

Two killed while changing tire on shoulder of I-10

I said I wasn't going to justify my questions, but god damn.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
EAGLE5 (10-03-2021), Ultramaroon (10-03-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 10:20 PM   #28
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Either get runflats or move away from the south. Great road design there, it seems.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
extrashaky (10-04-2021)