follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 08-06-2021, 05:46 AM   #15
sygfrid
FT8Syg

Drives: `12 FRS & `17 BRZ Inazuma
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
For those of you who run winter tires, do you stick with the OEM 215 size or do you drop down to something narrower like at 205?

Secondly are there any particular tires that people here like?

I was very happy with the Pirelli Sottozero 3s that I had on my BMW and I will definitely consider them. That said, in this new world with no commute I'm down to 4K or fewer miles are year on the car and might just opt to save money (something like $60 a tire) and go with something like the GT Radial Champiro Winterpro.

It seems like a waste to spend a lot more for a tire that will age out well before I actually wear the tread out.
Actually, you have to invest MORE in high performance tires for adverse weather conditions like rain, snow & ice because you need to have more control of the vehicle in these difficult situations. What's a few hundred bucks more in order avoid getting into an accident?

For our climate in Vancouver wherein we can see snow, slush, & rain within a day, I run on UHP winters 225-40-18 Michelin Alpin PA4 that's really meant for sports cars. It's like the PS4S for winter conditions.

You can check out the latest winter tires & their performance reviews on YouTube especially by Tyrereviews.com.
Modding for daily fun & efficiency: Gruppe-S UEL, HKS dual res. FP, STi Per. Muffler, Delicious T. Ecutek tune, Crawford BPB, Grimmspeed CAI, STi Flex T. Bar, TRD Door Stabilizer, DSS aluminum propeller shaft, Verus diffuser & underbody covers, Verus LCA, Perrin bushings, Bilstein B6+RCE Yellows, Michelin PS4S + 18" WedsSport TC105X-summer, Michelin Alpin PA4 +18" Motegi MR140-winter
sygfrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:19 AM   #16
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
With stock wheels, just stick with stock size tires IMO.

I did enjoy my 16x7 RPF1s with 205/55/16 Blizzak WS80 in a "wow there's even less grip than expected way" in the dry. The Blizzaks were a big part of that though, other winters will be a little bit better in the dry. Good in the snow though.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:51 AM   #17
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Even less grip in the dry still is sufficient for normal DD turning/braking/accelerating. But if on wrong tires one stops on ice/snow 2x-3x further distance vs car on right season tires .. it should worry a bit.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 06:25 PM   #18
saltywetman

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygfrid View Post
Actually, you have to invest MORE in high performance tires for adverse weather conditions like rain, snow & ice because you need to have more control of the vehicle in these difficult situations. What's a few hundred bucks more in order avoid getting into an accident?

For our climate in Vancouver wherein we can see snow, slush, & rain within a day, I run on UHP winters 225-40-18 Michelin Alpin PA4 that's really meant for sports cars. It's like the PS4S for winter conditions.

You can check out the latest winter tires & their performance reviews on YouTube especially by Tyrereviews.com.
Uhp winters are better.for handling but worse for straight line traction and stopping. IMO stopping traction is the most important for DD in winter since there are times where people try to suddenly stop in front of you or cut you off. Handling in winter may be important if you live in an area that do winter track days but I would rather drive more responsibly on winter roads than test my luck with spirited turning. If I want to have fun I'll skid around in an empty parking lot
saltywetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 05:30 PM   #19
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Thoguht i'd bump this as its related.

My 18" OEM tires are 215/40/18. I have winters from a Scion iM which are 205/55/16 and thats what im going to be using (its 2 sizes down but..not equipped with brembos or sachs. So fitment shouldnt be a problem)

I just need to get a new set of steel wheels for it as the scion im has a different bolt pattern, so i cant use them until they're swapped out.

This brings me to another question.

Steel wheels or Alloys for winter? Im finding the steel wheels are a bit more pricey than i expected. If they're close enough to some cheap alloys i might just get cheap alloys instead of steelies.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 06:23 PM   #20
bucketfoot

Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Normally when talking performance, un-sprung weight is considered to be bad, but with winter tires/wheels it is actually a positive. So if you don't mind the look, steel wheels are a really good option for winter use.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:32 PM   #21
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Sasquachulator: or .. used alloys. For example, OE wheels from more common subbies. Cheap (vs new steelies cost), very common, better looking then steelies and probably lighter, strong as f****.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote