follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AFRICA

User Tag List

Old 12-10-2015, 08:20 AM   #15
sav
Official anti-BS squad

Drives: Toyota 86 High 6MT
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammod View Post
You are a piece of work man...

And to think last year I was having to explain IAM to you:
Yep, amazing how quick I've learned compared to the likes of you. Maybe you should pull your head out of phoenix' ass and you'll also grow.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:13 AM   #16
Fish Eagle
Platinum Member

Drives: Toyota 86 Vortech SC
Thanked 1,021 Times in 541 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Eagle View Post
That's probably the cause of your poor performance at the drags.

My car runs 10-15% down on power without octane boosting. It obviously pulls timing. I don't use octane booster all the time, just when I do track days, and then the power difference is very noticable.

Lately, I've been getting satisfactory results on the highveld from Sasol 95 + Liqui Moly Octane Booster at approx 1 tin per 25 litres, and I start 2 tankfuls before the event to give the ECU time to adjust. At my home altitude (750m) I find Engen 95 the best and most consistent without octane boosting, but YMMV.

Latest Liqui Moly price is about R78/tin (bought today for Sunday's track session).

PS: Just watched the video. I don't know much about drag racing, but something's wrong with either your tyres, warming them up, or your technique because launching's not coming together...

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=40

???
Phew, you must have gone to a lot of effort to rake that up out of the archives...
That was a long time ago.

However, that's exactly what I believed for a few months, then I smelt a rat...

I always used to track at Midvaal, and fill up at Sasol in Heidelberg. I'd add octane booster and the car would be fine at the track. I'd fill at the same filling station on the way home without booster, and the car would be down on power. I would never have noticed the issue if I didn't one day have to go into Meyerton to fill up because I didn't have enough fuel left to get to Heidelberg - and voila, it was very different. The car seemed 100% OK without booster.

I reckon it was an unethical rural filling station jippo'ing the fuel. I changed to filling at Sasol Secunda and/or Engen Meyerton, and it's been like day and night since.

But, I've got a practical test coming up soon. I need to dyno in January for Leg 1 of the Michelin Cup and that'll be in Gauteng. I won't put octane booster and we'll see what happens. It'll actually be nice if I'm down a few kws cause where I should be (168wkw), puts me in the 160-200wkw class, and I'd like to be in the <160wkw class

Last edited by Fish Eagle; 12-11-2015 at 02:54 AM.
Fish Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fish Eagle For This Useful Post:
Alang (12-10-2015), JouMaSeHoes (12-11-2015), sav (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 09:24 AM   #17
Dammod

Drives: .
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Phew, you must have gone to a lot of effort to rake that up out of the archives...
That was a long time ago.

However, that's exactly what I believed for a few months, then I smelt a rat...

I always used to track at Midvaal, and fill up at Sasol in Heidelberg. I'd add octane booster and the car would be fine at the track. I'd fill at the same filling station on the way home without booster, and the car would be down on power. I would never have noticed the issue if I didn't one day have to go into Meyerton to fill up because I didn't have enough fuel left to get to Heidelberg - and voila, it was very different. The car seemed 100% OK with booster.

I reckon it was an unethical rural filling station jippo'ing the fuel. I changed to filling at Sasol Secunda and/or Engen Meyerton, and it's been like day and night since.

But, I've got a practical test coming up soon. I need to dyno in January for Leg 1 of the Michelin Cup and that'll be in Gauteng. I won't put octane booster and we'll see what happens. It'll actually be nice if I'm down a few kws cause where I should be (168wkw), puts me in the 160-200wkw class, and I'd like to be in the <160wkw class
Took around 20 sec with the forum search tools.

I had remembered what you said since it rung true from what I had heard from a few other RGM SC 86's - thanks for clearing that up.

The fact that you feel no performance benefit can mean your tune is on-point, a noticeable increase in power as you described would mean there is some work to be done, glad its not the latter.

All the best for Michelin Cup

Last edited by Dammod; 12-10-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Dammod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:01 AM   #18
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I don't routinely use any octane booster, only when I go on track, then I pop in a tin of LM for knock protection.

I've never felt any difference in performance whatsoever.

I decided to try a top end octane booster, and if I am really honest... I didn't feel a damn thing

I am really not sure it is worth while/makes any noticeable difference that would make me do it regularly.

I've also read on quite a few sites (some engineering sites, some car sites, etc) that it can sometimes cause a residual to be left on spark plugs which - over prolonged use - causes the spark plugs to not work as they should.

I've decided to go flexfuel myself (happening in Jan so I can run proper e%% and have the tune etc that goes with it.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:44 AM   #19
Dammod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 South Africa View Post
I decided to try a top end octane booster, and if I am really honest... I didn't feel a damn thing

I am really not sure it is worth while/makes any noticeable difference that would make me do it regularly.

I've also read on quite a few sites (some engineering sites, some car sites, etc) that it can sometimes cause a residual to be left on spark plugs which - over prolonged use - causes the spark plugs to not work as they should.

I've decided to go flexfuel myself (happening in Jan so I can run proper e%% and have the tune etc that goes with it.
The effectiveness of the OB depends on how much timing the ECU pulled beforehand, perhaps you drive "well" in the sense that you don't "lug" the car, don't make quick throttle changes etc so the ECU hadn't pulled as much timing as someone that might have those driving habits.

Different OB's also vary in the amount they will boost your octane. NF Ultra and Torco being the best that I know of but yes, not amazing for your plugs if you use it all the time.

FlexFuel in general is awesome, I'll be going that route next year too for sure.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:50 AM   #20
GeeTee86
86 Nut

Drives: 86 Satin 6MT High
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
I run 5l of E95 to 30l of fuel, keeps the IAM on 1 and flkc on 0. (when I run my 98 file)
GeeTee86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:54 AM   #21
Ryan86
Road Warrior

Drives: Toyota 86 Satin Pearl White
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee86 View Post
I run 5l of E95 to 30l of fuel, keeps the IAM on 1 and flkc on 0. (when I run my 98 file)
Try E85 = 30wkw gains
Ryan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:51 AM   #22
86 South Africa

Garage
Quote:
The effectiveness of the OB depends on how much timing the ECU pulled beforehand, perhaps you drive "well" in the sense that you don't "lug" the car, don't make quick throttle changes etc so the ECU hadn't pulled as much timing as someone that might have those driving habits.

Different OB's also vary in the amount they will boost your octane. NF Ultra and Torco being the best that I know of but yes, not amazing for your plugs if you use it all the time.

FlexFuel in general is awesome, I'll be going that route next year too for sure.

Cool. I like to think I drive fairly smoothly
I'm keen to see what you get from your flex fuel mods... + the tune obviously.
Will be good to compare notes.

I used an nf one (+5/6 octane I think), but I reckon it's just better to do the tune, get the FF so I don't have to worry about wrong mixes etc + it'll be tuned for normal fuel then anyway.
Dammod (12-14-2015)
Old 12-13-2015, 03:52 AM   #23
86 South Africa

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan86 View Post
Try E85 = 30wkw gains
You run ethanol?
What's your experience been with it?
Old 12-13-2015, 01:58 PM   #24
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
You run ethanol?
What's your experience been with it?
If you have available suppliers then its good.

more power with just a tune

Its more convenient with a flex fuel setup but not necessary

stock car tune for E85 about 20hp, but with your 95 ron fuel its probably 25hp over that.

with headers and exhaust probably 35hp or so over stock on petrol.

no mods to fuel system required.

E85 on stock car
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67310
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
86 South Africa (12-14-2015), JouMaSeHoes (12-14-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 02:36 AM   #25
Dammod

Quote:
Cool. I like to think I drive fairly smoothly
I'm keen to see what you get from your flex fuel mods... + the tune obviously.
Will be good to compare notes.

I used an nf one (+5/6 octane I think), but I reckon it's just better to do the tune, get the FF so I don't have to worry about wrong mixes etc + it'll be tuned for normal fuel then anyway.
@FT_86_SM_GP will be running our Ethanol tune in the Michelin Cup, and he will need to dyno before hand so maybe if I ask him nicely he will share his results to compare.
I can tell you from first hand experience that even on one of our earlier tunes for E50 its like night and day! We didn't see too much benefit over E70 so found E50 to be a nice "in-between" since the higher your ratio of ethanol, the quicker you will go through fuel. E50 is also easy to mix if you are not running a flex fuel kit.

As Steve said, a flex fuel kit is not a REQUIREMENT but a nice luxury since the tune will adjust to the amount of ethanol in your tank and so you wont have to swap tunes or "stress" about getting the mix right.

We will be releasing a flex fuel kit next year - been testing and refining it for a while now but will "announce" it when we happy to release it to the public.

RMS who use Delicious tuning in the states have been getting great results too from what I've heard and seem to be a competent bunch of guys and I'm sure you will be very happy with the results
FT_86_SM_GP (12-15-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 03:02 AM   #26
86 South Africa

Garage
Quote:
@FT_86_SM_GP will be running our Ethanol tune in the Michelin Cup, and he will need to dyno before hand so maybe if I ask him nicely he will share his results to compare.
I can tell you from first hand experience that even on one of our earlier tunes for E50 its like night and day! We didn't see too much benefit over E70 so found E50 to be a nice "in-between" since the higher your ratio of ethanol, the quicker you will go through fuel. E50 is also easy to mix if you are not running a flex fuel kit.

As Steve said, a flex fuel kit is not a REQUIREMENT but a nice luxury since the tune will adjust to the amount of ethanol in your tank and so you wont have to swap tunes or "stress" about getting the mix right.

We will be releasing a flex fuel kit next year - been testing and refining it for a while now but will "announce" it when we happy to release it to the public.

RMS who use Delicious tuning in the states have been getting great results too from what I've heard and seem to be a competent bunch of guys and I'm sure you will be very happy with the results
@steve99 and @Dammod - thanks... my own reasons below (just FYI)

It sounds awesome... I'm looking forwards to it once it's done in Jan.
I chose to go Flex Fuel for 2 reasons really (besides just running ethanol for the power increase);

1) Convenience because I can't be certain I can get ethanol all the time and will therefore have varying eXX content

2) Safety... I'd rather have a tune/hardware to measure and adapt to the varying content to optimise the ECU and tune while I drive than have to mix it myself and potentially make a mistake or drive with an incorrect map etc... it just takes out the human error part of it so I never have to been upset with myself for doing something wrong... just fill up and drive.

I'm doing headers with it, rest of the car and exhaust is stock, so should be
Dammod (12-15-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 03:03 AM   #27
86 South Africa

Garage
@FT_86_SM_GP
I'm sure you really want to share your Michelin Cup dyno... just for fun and so we can all see the results of your e85
Please...
FT_86_SM_GP (12-15-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 09:48 AM   #28
Ryan86
Road Warrior

Drives: Toyota 86 Satin Pearl White
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
@86 South Africa
Yes I have the Delicious Tuning Flex Fuel kit Stage 2.
I found best power on E75, dyno attached.
No guess work needed with mixing Ethanol and you can use any fuel available
Im sure you will be extremely happy with your choice.
Attached Images

Ryan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan86 For This Useful Post:
86 South Africa (12-15-2015)