follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
Sam Strano

Old 01-22-2019, 03:09 PM   #4803
conehead

Drives: RS 2.0
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevBRZ View Post
I just picked up a BRZ and looks like i may just go into DS this year, was contemplating SSC or maybe STX but i figured maybe i would just see how this thing is stock being i have only put like 50 miles on it so far.... Hated to tear out/change the suspension radically before even getting much seat time at all in it. Its a been about 3 years since i have had a car to run so I am just glad to be back in the game. So far it is a hoot to drive!!

I find it much more enjoyable to add mods one by one and see the result of each. You can save a lot of money by having an end game in mind though. Like for example, you wouldn't want to install regular Konis now and then decide to go into SSC and have to buy another set of the sealed SSC Konis later.
conehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to conehead For This Useful Post:
Rampage (01-22-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 05:46 PM   #4804
KevBRZ

Drives: 15BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
re autox

Quote:
Originally Posted by conehead View Post
I find it much more enjoyable to add mods one by one and see the result of each. You can save a lot of money by having an end game in mind though. Like for example, you wouldn't want to install regular Konis now and then decide to go into SSC and have to buy another set of the sealed SSC Konis later.
Yeah i agree, i added parts one by one on my old stx civic and i liked that, i was starting to think about starting with those konis and also possibly the front bar from the kit, but i may end up having to order the bar again with the kit from tire rack in the future being I am not sure if they can be separated,Not sure how that bar would fair for D street (although not sure how competitive i will be anyhow) ,but even if i get a specific D street bar i could always just resell it on here etc. and also thought about just running the falkens also to start so i would learn those along the way, although i do have some z2s that are getting old and need to be used up. i would say SSC sounds very likely for 2020.If not SSC then STX.
KevBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:14 AM   #4805
Shadotracker

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ TS
And thus starts a new season of Autocross.

Shadotracker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shadotracker For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (02-07-2019), strat61caster (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 03:18 PM   #4806
jtmroczk

Drives: C-Street FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevBRZ View Post
Yeah i agree, i added parts one by one on my old stx civic and i liked that, i was starting to think about starting with those konis and also possibly the front bar from the kit, but i may end up having to order the bar again with the kit from tire rack in the future being I am not sure if they can be separated,Not sure how that bar would fair for D street (although not sure how competitive i will be anyhow) ,but even if i get a specific D street bar i could always just resell it on here etc. and also thought about just running the falkens also to start so i would learn those along the way, although i do have some z2s that are getting old and need to be used up. i would say SSC sounds very likely for 2020.If not SSC then STX.
If you go SSC, I would suggest buying the whole kit ASAP. You cant, LOL “can’t”, make a mistake in the purchasing stage. It has pretty minimal tuning and you can also easily folow another more experienced competators damper setting selections. Aswell as underatand what your car, and maybe aspirationaly yourself, is realistically capable of by watching others on course.

Now STX, pretty well none of the above applies and you can even screw up the car with a pourly selected set of coilovers, generally speaking.
jtmroczk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:16 AM   #4807
Shadotracker

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ TS
Quick question just to make sure I am understanding something. We can change the struts/shocks but can we change the springs as well or must they remain stock?
Shadotracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:20 AM   #4808
TMF

Drives: '14 FRS TT5
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadotracker View Post
Quick question just to make sure I am understanding something. We can change the struts/shocks but can we change the springs as well or must they remain stock?
Springs must stay stock. Unless it says you can, you can't
Old 11-19-2019, 01:58 PM   #4809
Mball19

Drives: Toyota 86 TRD/SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_driver View Post
So I just got into a 2017 BRZ-PP and have a Spec-D Tuning Catback Exhaust (the neighbor's are big fans) and a set of Enkei RPF1's 17x7.5 (having to use 5mm spacers to clear brembo's) with BFG Rival S 1.5 245/40/17 (probably too wide but I wanted to try out the new BFG -there was no 235 option- and get as much out of the extra half inch on the wheels as i could).

Does anyone know of any front bar upgrades or brake pads that autocrossers have been successful with in the 17 PP? Or is this a time where progress requires experimentation?

Are you running the 5mm spacers with the stock studs?
Mball19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:35 AM   #4810
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,469 Times in 765 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mball19 View Post
Are you running the 5mm spacers with the stock studs?

I'd suggest not doing that. 3mm is about the max for safe thread engagement with stock studs.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (11-20-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 12:07 PM   #4811
Mball19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
I'd suggest not doing that. 3mm is about the max for safe thread engagement with stock studs.

I won't
The Following User Says Thank You to Mball19 For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (11-21-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 12:08 PM   #4812
Mball19

I am planning on running my 86 in CS in 2020. I ran it in DS this year. My current mods are Toyota camber bolts, a TRD front bar and RE71s. The car felt great and would rotate on demand. I will install the TRD springs and rear sway bar. I have a couple of questions.
1. Are the Sachs struts ok with the TRD springs? I have had several sets of Konis on other cars and was unimpressed with the quality of the last 2 sets that I had. I would prefer to keep my stock struts or go with Cuscos.
2. I have a 22mm Perrin front bar also. Is this too much front bar for the TRD rear bar? I felt it was too much for the stock rear bar and springs.
3. Is there a preferred alignment with the CS mods?
Old 11-21-2019, 10:32 PM   #4813
Biggins

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mball19 View Post
I am planning on running my 86 in CS in 2020. I ran it in DS this year. My current mods are Toyota camber bolts, a TRD front bar and RE71s. The car felt great and would rotate on demand. I will install the TRD springs and rear sway bar. I have a couple of questions.
1. Are the Sachs struts ok with the TRD springs? I have had several sets of Konis on other cars and was unimpressed with the quality of the last 2 sets that I had. I would prefer to keep my stock struts or go with Cuscos.
2. I have a 22mm Perrin front bar also. Is this too much front bar for the TRD rear bar? I felt it was too much for the stock rear bar and springs.
3. Is there a preferred alignment with the CS mods?
1. Yes. I have no experience with the Sachs, but the stock struts/shocks are very good. I would pick the Konis over the Cuscos and Sachs, but I still think the stocks are really good. I'm on the CS-legal MCS 2WNR set-up which are a different level of cost/performance. I don't know the cost of the Sachs, but I suspect they will be okay.
2. It depends on driving style and other set up choices. I am running both TRD bars and am content with it. I have previously run a 25mm Hotchkis and 19mm Perrin with success. I will eventually switch to the Karcepts trick bar, but I think you will be fine with the 22mm on soft.
3. Max camber, very slight toe out in front, 0 toe or very slight toe in in the rear.

I'm also switching back to CS this year, so let's see if we can surprise some NDs and S2ks!
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggins For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (11-22-2019)
Old 11-22-2019, 03:48 PM   #4814
Mball19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
1. Yes. I have no experience with the Sachs, but the stock struts/shocks are very good. I would pick the Konis over the Cuscos and Sachs, but I still think the stocks are really good. I'm on the CS-legal MCS 2WNR set-up which are a different level of cost/performance. I don't know the cost of the Sachs, but I suspect they will be okay.
2. It depends on driving style and other set up choices. I am running both TRD bars and am content with it. I have previously run a 25mm Hotchkis and 19mm Perrin with success. I will eventually switch to the Karcepts trick bar, but I think you will be fine with the 22mm on soft.
3. Max camber, very slight toe out in front, 0 toe or very slight toe in in the rear.

I'm also switching back to CS this year, so let's see if we can surprise some NDs and S2ks!

Coming from a WRX, this car is just so much fun to drive. I want to be competitive but, mainly have fun. I was beating the NDs and Fiats in DS configuration, so I think that CS will be even more fun. Thanks for the input. I will probably try the TRD front bar first and see if I need more.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mball19 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (11-22-2019)
Old 11-22-2019, 04:58 PM   #4815
oofie

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Might be a stupid question, but how do you guys (Biggins and Mball19) switch between CS and DS?
oofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:04 PM   #4816
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,474 Times in 4,995 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oofie View Post
Might be a stupid question, but how do you guys (Biggins and Mball19) switch between CS and DS?
TRD package was considered factory equipment on the RS1.0 an RS2.0 FR-S so TRD lowering springs and swaybars were allowed on all FR-S's and they bumped the non-TRD pack FRS and all BRZ's down to DS. The option exists on the 86 as well so pre/post facelift isn't an issue and I believe parts are the same.

It's called out in Appendix A for both CS/DS citing with/without TRD pack.

Edit: I didn't realize the 86 without TRD stuff was classed in DS which is nice, I think it's got a better shot at being a dark horse in that class by being more agile than the souped up economy cars whereas the ND Miata is just better in CS. But hey as above make the car fun and who cares, stiffer springs and sways should help with the camber wear and transitions.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
oofie (11-22-2019)