follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southwest

Southwest AZ, NM, NV, OK, TX, UT

User Tag List

Old 02-26-2019, 09:26 PM   #1
14stu

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Tire Rack Street Survival School

I am sending out an open call for in-car coaches (total of 25 needed) and volunteers (5 total needed, but we won't turn anyone away) for our upcoming April 13th Tire Rack Street Survival School at Dragon Stadium in Southlake. This is our fourth year to host Street Survival Schools, in 2016 we hosted 3 schools and over 80 total students and in 2017 we had 2 schools with over 60 students, and in 2018 we hosted 2 schools and had 70 students! The key to our success is you. Like all the Texas Region's endeavors, the Street Survival Schools are entirely volunteer run and I need your help.

At the banquette we gave away $2000 in TireRack gift cards as coaching incentives and the plan is to increase that this year. We have 3 schools scheduled: April 13th, September 28th, and December 14th (registration is open for the April event and will open soon for the other two). Each time you volunteer/coach you'll be added to our drawing for some sweet TireRack gift cards, as a bonus, if you coach/volunteer for all 3 events you'll be added into a bonus drawing for a $500 TireRack gift card!

To be an in-car coach all you need to do is (1) have a basic understanding of car control, especially weight transfer (2) be willing and able to ride and communicate with a teenager, and (3) complete the online coaches training below. If you are interested in helping out, just send me an email at: sgraff09wrx@gmail.com to let me know that you would like to be an in-car coach or volunteer (please include your shirt size if you haven't coached/volunteered before or want a new shirt).

The class is very rewarding and quite a bit of fun for both the in-car coaches and students. Car crashes are the leading cause of death for teens and a mere reduction in traffic fatalities of 10% would save more teenagers' lives than curing all disease! If having fun, saving lives, and spreading car culture aren't enough incentive, at the end of the year we'll have a drawing for over $2000 in Tire Rack gift cards.

If you are a new instructor, or have not instructed with us recently, please take a few moments to complete the online training course here: http://streetsurvival.org/schools/become-a-coach//

It doesn’t take very long and it is very straightforward, but it does touch on some core lessons and terminology we’ll be using, so please complete this before 4/06/2019 and e-mail your digital certificate to Tim Beechuk, one of our national coordinators, whose contact information is displayed at the end of the course.

This class session will be capped at 45 students, costs $95 per student, and I will give priority to any students that you refer. Just email me their info and I'll move them to the top of the list. We split the group into two, one on course and one in class, at any given time, so we"ll have about 20 students per group. If you volunteered to help on-site rather than instruct, then you do not need to take the course. Simply show up ready to help with registration, direct traffic, inspect vehicles, and shag cones throughout the day. We enlist the parents to help as well.

Breakfast, lunch, and bottled water will be provided to all volunteers and in-car coaches, and anyone who does not have one will be issued an official Tire Rack Street Survival Logo shirt. If you have a yellow instructor shirt, please wear that and if you need a new shirt, please email me with your size.

Remember to dress for the conditions and stay hydrated. We usually have some sunscreen on hand, but it is a good idea to bring some and wear a hat. We need all volunteers onsite by 7:45am to setup the course. I recommend bringing work gloves to help keep your hands clean from the cones. We will be finished with the course and tear down by 4pm at the latest.

One last thing, the event will be bring your own chair for both the students and instructors (you'll be in a car all day except for lunch). If you have an extra chair, please bring it along for our classroom sessions. Also, if you have an air compressor and don't mind bringing it along, the more we have for the tech inspections the faster we can get through them.

Again, thank you all for volunteering. This is a wonderful program and we’ve been able to reach hundreds of area teens over the years, but we couldn’t do it without the help and support of people like you.

Sam Graff
Texas Region SCCA
TRSS Chair

Last edited by 14stu; 02-26-2019 at 11:15 PM. Reason: broken link fix
14stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:10 PM   #2
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,974 Times in 2,194 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Sounds like a great program.
How many cars and who owns them?

The link provided has been shortened (...) and doesn't work.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:18 PM   #3
14stu

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
Sounds like a great program.
How many cars and who owns them?

The link provided has been shortened (...) and doesn't work.
Students drive their own cars (we tech them and pre-approve them for rollover risk) and our cap is 45 students per school.

I fixed the link.

This is a charitable, non-profit deal that's completely volunteer run. There is no better way to make kids safer on the road and save lives.
The Following User Says Thank You to 14stu For This Useful Post:
bcj (02-26-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 09:35 PM   #4
Aluma007

Drives: 2017 Brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'd of liked to instruct but thats one heck of a drive for me...:0
Aluma007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aluma007 For This Useful Post:
14stu (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 09:55 PM   #5
14stu

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluma007 View Post
I'd of liked to instruct but thats one heck of a drive for me...:0
There are schools all over the place, check the streetsurvival.org website to see if there's a closer event for you. If you're in town we'd love the help but I can usual find enough locals to help.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to 14stu For This Useful Post:
Aluma007 (03-01-2019)