follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 09-10-2019, 10:03 AM   #4887
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,251 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowsFeast View Post
This may be a dumb one but how much is the master cylinder brace actually needed? I don't recall ever hearing about them in other vehicles I've owned but suddenly with the 86 it seems like anyone who goes with stainless lines also gets a master cylinder brace.

Is the OEM setup really that flimsy? Does it really increase pedal feel that much? I don't suppose there's any side-by-side video showing the comparison? Has anyone had the master cylinder bend/break off without reinforcement?
It isn't needed. I have not heard of it bending or breaking. The brace provides a little better feel while threshold breaking, thereby improving the driver's ability to modulate at the limit. I didn't notice much difference other than that. It's nice, but not a big deal. I wouldn't bother if you don't threshold brake.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:11 AM   #4888
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowsFeast View Post
This may be a dumb one but how much is the master cylinder brace actually needed? I don't recall ever hearing about them in other vehicles I've owned but suddenly with the 86 it seems like anyone who goes with stainless lines also gets a master cylinder brace.

Is the OEM setup really that flimsy? Does it really increase pedal feel that much? I don't suppose there's any side-by-side video showing the comparison? Has anyone had the master cylinder bend/break off without reinforcement?
It's not. It does, however, reduce long term stress on the firewall where the master is mounted.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:35 AM   #4889
jayliu.jiayu@gamil.com

Drives: 2017_86 2016_frs 2007_335i
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hi Mike
a few month ago i posted a video asking about the trail brake thing, if u can remember. anyway here is the new track video which i was trying to study trail braking

am i using trail braking this time?

this is a full section second video is faster , so u can watch the second one or if u got time watch the part 1 too
thx for all the help

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72HigUE5P1Q[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLwCQtgIxDk&t=613s[/ame]
Old 09-12-2019, 12:40 PM   #4890
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayliu.jiayu@gamil.com View Post
am i using trail braking this time?
Im not mike, Im sure he'll come give you some proper insight. But what I can see from your video is that you are not getting any rotation at all in a lot of corners. I can barely see in the video that you are keeping your foot in the brake while turning in, but the car is washing out.

Did you do the pedal dance? Because this looks exactly like what happens if I dont pedal dance on my car, car just washes out and no rotation what so ever.

If you did do the pedal dance, then the problem is most likely too much pressure on your brakes when you turn in. Grip is limited, you want to release some of the grip used to brake to let the front wheels turn, so brake release needs to happen simultaneously (or ever so slightly before) turn in, but some brake pressure should be kept all the way till the apex. If you trail brake correctly, there is no need at all for the amount of steering angle you are using, you should need very little steering at all, in fact, in some corners you should use the steering to initiate turn-in and then the brake and accelerator to control the rotation and aptitude of the car.

Now, all of this might be a load of crap, since there is only so much you can speculate while seeing a video only (no data, its all guesses without being in the car at that time).
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
lutfy (09-13-2019), NoHaveMSG (09-12-2019), Tristor (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 02:35 PM   #4891
peaches

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Also not Mike, but I agree. Only in a few corners did I see\hear the brake towards the apex but not all the way in. Most of the time there's too much push and too much steering input. You're losing a lot of speed there. Also can't see the lights in the dash due to the steering wheel, not sure if you did the pedal dance.
peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peaches For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 07:02 PM   #4892
jayliu.jiayu@gamil.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
Im not mike, Im sure he'll come give you some proper insight. But what I can see from your video is that you are not getting any rotation at all in a lot of corners. I can barely see in the video that you are keeping your foot in the brake while turning in, but the car is washing out.

Did you do the pedal dance? Because this looks exactly like what happens if I dont pedal dance on my car, car just washes out and no rotation what so ever.

If you did do the pedal dance, then the problem is most likely too much pressure on your brakes when you turn in. Grip is limited, you want to release some of the grip used to brake to let the front wheels turn, so brake release needs to happen simultaneously (or ever so slightly before) turn in, but some brake pressure should be kept all the way till the apex. If you trail brake correctly, there is no need at all for the amount of steering angle you are using, you should need very little steering at all, in fact, in some corners you should use the steering to initiate turn-in and then the brake and accelerator to control the rotation and aptitude of the car.

Now, all of this might be a load of crap, since there is only so much you can speculate while seeing a video only (no data, its all guesses without being in the car at that time).

nah just the track mode,and good video for example? some footage u think is good to see for trail braking
Old 09-12-2019, 08:47 PM   #4893
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayliu.jiayu@gamil.com View Post
nah just the track mode,and good video for example? some footage u think is good to see for trail braking
I cant confirm since I dont have a 17+ model but from some credible sources track mode is good enough for trail braking, so the problem is just the application. I would say to check any videos of mike on his own BRZ or the CSG videos when they were testing different things. You'll see the amount of rotation they can get and they are usually pretty neutral or small steering angles yet fully rotated by the apex. I dont know what good this will do as Im by no means a pro driver but I have managed to improve my braking quite a bit lately (no pedal cam and no data overlay, but you can hear the brakes, brakes making sound means light pressure, brakes full pressure make no sound):

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3mxv8hKEkY"]https://youtu.be/i3mxv8hKEkY[/ame]
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:02 PM   #4894
jayliu.jiayu@gamil.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
I cant confirm since I dont have a 17+ model but from some credible sources track mode is good enough for trail braking, so the problem is just the application. I would say to check any videos of mike on his own BRZ or the CSG videos when they were testing different things. You'll see the amount of rotation they can get and they are usually pretty neutral or small steering angles yet fully rotated by the apex. I dont know what good this will do as Im by no means a pro driver but I have managed to improve my braking quite a bit lately (no pedal cam and no data overlay, but you can hear the brakes, brakes making sound means light pressure, brakes full pressure make no sound):

i dont know man, i watched from start to 7:50. the track u got there is pretty fast track. but my is like narrow sharp corner everywhere. lets see how mike says
here is the map tho

thx for the help

Name:  VIMR-Phase1-1.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  290.8 KB

Name:  png.png
Views: 512
Size:  198.0 KB
Old 09-15-2019, 09:12 PM   #4895
Sgtfluffy16

Drives: White BRZ Limited
Garage
Im ready to go to Pocono Tomorrow.

P.S This TIRE TRAILER IS FOR SALE!

Sgtfluffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sgtfluffy16 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-16-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 09:02 AM   #4896
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,186 Times in 593 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I am in the market of a new set of wheels so I have been thinking about switching from 255/40/17 to 265/35/18 for the increased contact patch on my track only FRS.

Is the extra weight (23 lbs more total), extra height (+.3" dia.) & cost ($389 more per set of tires) worth the extra 10 mm of tire when considering ultimate grip and lap times?
- #813 2013 Scion FRS Build Thread
- JHerbert Racing Website

Last edited by Takumi788; 11-05-2019 at 07:23 AM.
Takumi788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:17 AM   #4897
Code Monkey

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
^ WIll it improve lap times? Yes. Is it worth it? Only you can answer that question.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:46 AM   #4898
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
^ WIll it improve lap times? Yes. Is it worth it? Only you can answer that question.
Lower lap times means its worth it. Thanks. Just looking for thoughts on this topic.

Last edited by Takumi788; 11-04-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:57 AM   #4899
Goingnowherefast

Drives: AP2 S2000, 91 Miata 1.8L Rotrex 5MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
Does anyone have any data on that claim? I'm convinced it's probably true, but it would be cool to get some real-world numbers on that.
Takumi788 (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 11:28 AM   #4900
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
Does anyone have any data on that claim? I'm convinced it's probably true, but it would be cool to get some real-world numbers on that.
I was going to try not to get too nerdy about this. However, I have been messing with a program called Optimum Lap. It takes the specifications of your car (including tire size) and spits out your theoretical fastest lap time. So far I have found it very close with my team mates spec miatas. I am entering my cars information in the program tonight.

I guess my question should have been. Has anyone with a track prepped/track car done this and care to share their outcome?

FYI before the FT86 Speedfactory time attack car went widebody they ran the 18" setup.

Last edited by Takumi788; 11-05-2019 at 07:22 AM.