follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-05-2020, 12:07 PM   #15
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
There is a definite difference between winter and summer blend fuel. Here is the average by month for the history of my car. The dips occur consistently in the winter but 90% of my driving is the exact same route. That does not change per month.

Now that is some data!
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-05-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 12:26 PM   #16
nextcar
Guilt free parts vulture!

Drives: 2013 FR-S - Asphalt 6MT
Thanked 1,762 Times in 932 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybaboon View Post
I bought my FRS in 2013 and for the first few years I was happy getting ~23 mpg almost all city driving. I calculated it myself after every refuel. One day it dropped to ~18 and has been the same ever since. After a couple years of this, I took it to the dealer and they used a scan tool and said everything was in range. I just fueled up yesterday and got 17 MPG on this tank and it's driving me crazy.

Is there an issue that wouldn't show up on the scan tool or something I should look into to figure this out?

Tires are aired to specs. I've gotten all recommended maintenance. Driving habits haven't changed.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Any chance that your drop in mileage corresponds to a change in tires/wheels?

I personally observed changes in milage when I ditched the primacy tires and then again when I changed rims...

Almost everyone I know never replaces the original tires with another set of OEM tires.

Tires/wheels make a big difference in both handling and mileage in these cars.
nextcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 01:17 PM   #17
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcar View Post
I personally observed changes in milage when I ditched the primacy tires and then again when I changed rims...
A tire change was my first thought as well. Stickier tires could reduce mileage a decent percentage point. A change in your route or driving habits could as well.

Mine did not change signficantly when I bought new tires, but that's because, while I didn't stick with Primacy, I did get a similar all-season touring tire rather than a "sportier" tire.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Busybee (06-05-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 01:40 PM   #18
Busybee

Drives: BRZ limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
A tire change was my first thought as well. Stickier tires could reduce mileage a decent percentage point. A change in your route or driving habits could as well.

Mine did not change signficantly when I bought new tires, but that's because, while I didn't stick with Primacy, I did get a similar all-season touring tire rather than a "sportier" tire.

I guess all this info here will change my decision for the coming tire selection. I was almost set for sticky PS4S for my daily. May be I should consider PSA/S3.
I am set for the Michelin. Any recommendation from Michelin users? Car is daily and stock. Don’t want to loose any comfort but better (if possible) is preferred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mazda 323F BA 1997 - Overseas
Mazda 323 BG 1994 - Sold
Mazda 323 BG 1991 - Sold
Busybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 02:01 PM   #19
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busybee View Post
I guess all this info here will change my decision for the coming tire selection. I was almost set for sticky PS4S for my daily. May be I should consider PSA/S3.
I am set for the Michelin. Any recommendation from Michelin users? Car is daily and stock. Don’t want to loose any comfort but better (if possible) is preferred

I had MPS4s and AS3+. Would highly recommend PS4s over AS3+ as PS4s ride better, have more traction, and also is more fuel efficent contrary to popular beliefs.

The AS3+ are warrantied longer though if that matters to you but the MPS4s. If you are on the stock Primacy, AS3+ or MPS4s is more comfortable than the primacy. However PS4s is more comfortable the AS3+ and roadnoise is also lower on the MPS4s than AS3+ due to the softer compound.

I wouldn only get AS3+ if you're on a budget and encounter light snow. Other than that MPS4s is the best. Traction is greatly improved from the MPSS though, I no longer spin tires as often in 1st/2nd gear on my BMW M4.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N1rve For This Useful Post:
Busybee (06-05-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 02:59 PM   #20
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Well, they aren't Michelins, but the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus that I traded out for the Primacies were good enough I bought them again. They are also 60K mile tires if your primary mission is commuting.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Busybee (06-05-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 03:48 PM   #21
Busybee

Drives: BRZ limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
I had MPS4s and AS3+. Would highly recommend PS4s over AS3+ as PS4s ride better, have more traction, and also is more fuel efficent contrary to popular beliefs.

The AS3+ are warrantied longer though if that matters to you but the MPS4s. If you are on the stock Primacy, AS3+ or MPS4s is more comfortable than the primacy. However PS4s is more comfortable the AS3+ and roadnoise is also lower on the MPS4s than AS3+ due to the softer compound.

I wouldn only get AS3+ if you're on a budget and encounter light snow. Other than that MPS4s is the best. Traction is greatly improved from the MPSS though, I no longer spin tires as often in 1st/2nd gear on my BMW M4.

Great info! Thanks

I have gone through almost all topics to figure out my needs. I got my Brz in April 2019 and since then drive every week from Boston to NY (25K). I used the stock primacy summer/winter and 5/32 is left. Soon I will permanently move to NY and want to get another set of rims (summer winter).
Based on my search I settled for 17/8 with the closest offset to stock (most probably I will get Enkei TS5 - 17/8 with 45 offset) and want to warp them with the MPS4s (225/45/17). The stock rims I want to keep fo winter and planed to get an all season tire like the AS3+.
I am not an expert and never had separate summer/winter sets. Based on my experience I am not sure if I really will need solid winter tires. My daily commute will be max 15-20 miles.

I decided to have 2 sets but still not sure about the winter. MPS4s should be fine in from mid spring until snowy days.
Will see. Information provided in this forum helps a lot.

Thanks

Mazda 323F BA 1997 - Overseas
Mazda 323 BG 1994 - Sold
Mazda 323 BG 1991 - Sold
Busybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:47 PM   #22
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Great info! Thanks

I have gone through almost all topics to figure out my needs. I got my Brz in April 2019 and since then drive every week from Boston to NY (25K). I used the stock primacy summer/winter and 5/32 is left. Soon I will permanently move to NY and want to get another set of rims (summer winter).
Based on my search I settled for 17/8 with the closest offset to stock (most probably I will get Enkei TS5 - 17/8 with 45 offset) and want to warp them with the MPS4s (225/45/17). The stock rims I want to keep fo winter and planed to get an all season tire like the AS3+.
I am not an expert and never had separate summer/winter sets. Based on my experience I am not sure if I really will need solid winter tires. My daily commute will be max 15-20 miles.

I decided to have 2 sets but still not sure about the winter. MPS4s should be fine in from mid spring until snowy days.

Thanks

If you have a dedicated set of winter rims (stock OEM), you might as well get dedicated winter tires instead of all seasons. I am not sure how winter gets in New York though and what kind of snow/how much snow you would get.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:34 PM   #23
johnnybaboon

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Was the ~23 mpg same during winter and summer ?
I have a noticeable change between summer and winter. Did you check every fueling or from time to time.

Yes it was consistent. Fluctuation was +/- 1 mpg. I calculated after every fuel up.

Quote:
There is a definite difference between winter and summer blend fuel. Here is the average by month for the history of my car. The dips occur consistently in the winter but 90% of my driving is the exact same route. That does not change per month.
My chart would look something like this
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
.................................................. .........|
.................................................. .........|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcar View Post
Any chance that your drop in mileage corresponds to a change in tires/wheels?

Almost everyone I know never replaces the original tires with another set of OEM tires.

Tires/wheels make a big difference in both handling and mileage in these cars.
I didn't replace the tires until 2 years after this started happening.
johnnybaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:19 PM   #24
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybaboon View Post
My chart would look something like this.
Yea I realized that after I responded to the post about fuel, which made me think of tires, which you also said it can't be.

I'm at a loss to explain it then. The only other things (besides some kind of mechanical issue or your neighbor siphoning gas out of your car) would be a change in driving habits or routes, but I believe you stated it is neither of those.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:53 PM   #25
johnnybaboon

Quote:
Yea I realized that after I responded to the post about fuel, which made me think of tires, which you also said it can't be.

I'm at a loss to explain it then. The only other things (besides some kind of mechanical issue or your neighbor siphoning gas out of your car) would be a change in driving habits or routes, but I believe you stated it is neither of those.
Lol I park in the garage, so I don't think it's being siphoned. And yeah my driving habits have not changed. My route has changed, but not significantly.
The Following User Says Thank You to johnnybaboon For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-06-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 08:27 AM   #26
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Great info! Thanks

Thanks

Unless you are going to new york city where you will not need to drive the car, you want winter tires. You can get General Altimax artic from tire rack on inexpensive wheels so you can swap them yourself. No reason not to do it that way. The car drives awesome in snow on winter tires, and sort of scary on all seasons.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
Busybee (06-07-2020), p1l0t (06-07-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 01:46 PM   #27
johnnybaboon

Update: It was very likely a bad O2 sensor. I took it to another mechanic and he told me the same as the dealer that the computer didn't show anything wrong. One of the things I found consistently when searching online was that a bad O2 sensor could cause a 20-30% drop in mpg. Since that's what I was seeing I asked the mechanic about it and he said it was possible. He said if I wanted to change it out to buy the part and bring it back in and he'd do it for me.

He just finished and showed me the old one and said it was running rich so that was probably the problem. I just filled up and I'll know in a couple weeks when I go through this tank if that fixed it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnnybaboon For This Useful Post:
bcj (06-20-2020), Busybee (06-20-2020)
Old 06-21-2020, 08:52 AM   #28
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Great info! Thanks

Thanks
Go with dedicated winter tires like the Conti EWC or similar. The roads here (50 miles north of midtown Manhattan so not far north at all) get scary in the winter, not often but often enough that you need them. After 5 years with dedicated winter rubber I didn't get another set last year and the one time I got caught out and had to drive home in the snow was one of the most challenging rides I've ever had. I actually couldn't get all the way home and had to leave the car at a train station lot and take a cab and that was on tires that reviews say are better than just acceptable in the snow, they are all WRONG. The other thing about those MPS's is they will be pretty terrible when the temps are below 40* especially if it was colder overnight even if the pavement is completely dry.