follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-03-2014, 10:50 PM   #1
86-tundra
Troll Hunter

Drives: fr-s, tundra
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Clutch popping when engaging pedal & Car off -- SOLVED

Today I moved the clutch engage position around based on the diy here

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8040

I moved it around a couple of times, found what worked for me, and tried it out. I came back, moved it once more, and all the sudden got this clicking sound. I moved the clutch pedal back to it's original engagement point and was still getting it. I'm getting it at the most extreme (long engagement) and 70% short engagement.

It pops when I push it in, and then pops again when I release

From there, it doesn't pop. But it's undriveable that close.

It happens both on and off. can be heard very well inside the cabin. Can also be heard above the dash as shown in the video.

I took the cotter pin out from the clutch engagement pedal, and moved the now two parts individually. Isolated the noise to between the cotter pin and the master cylinder. Noise does not come from between pedal and cotter pin.

Feels purely mechanical.. any thoughts? Not to worried about it, it's just annoying.

video here - you can hear it pretty well. Doesn't happen every time.

FIX!

Okay, so here's the fix.

This bolt here, with the red circle around it, is too tight. It may be hard to locate at first. Look for the rod that you adjusted that goes into the master clutch cylinder. Follow that back until you find the large rod that goes perpendicular to it, going all the way to the clutch pedal. The assembly to hold the actuator in, that bolt there is too tight. Factory spec is 13ft lbs but it should be more around 8 ft lbs. I bought a nylon washer from lowes, not sure if it helps much. This will remove the popping noise. I can still hear some kind of noise, but it is much more subtle and not as loud as the obnoxious pop.

The key is to not over tighten that bolt. Loosen it up a bit, and do a guess and check. Play and see if that causes it to pop. I think the nylon washer allowed me to make it a little tighter while still preventing the noise from happening.

If it is real loose, then the assembly will move around a bit. You want it right where it doesn't move around barely, and it doesn't make the noise

Last edited by 86-tundra; 03-13-2014 at 08:58 PM.
86-tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 86-tundra For This Useful Post:
Aztec (08-20-2015), brandonblt2 (01-12-2020), supramkivtt2jz (03-19-2014), unsurety (04-01-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 11:11 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,825 Times in 16,428 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
hmmm.......just a couple of "obvious" comments.

* you did tighten up the locking nut ..?

* are you sure the cotter pin isn't hitting the bracket .. ?

humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
86-tundra (02-03-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 11:13 PM   #3
86-tundra
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
hmmm.......just a couple of "obvious" comments.

* you did tighten up the locking nut ..?

* are you sure the cotter pin isn't hitting the bracket .. ?

lol, thanks humfrz. yes the locking nut was tightened back up, and the cotter pin isn't hitting the bracket. it really sounds like it's coming from the master cylinder. I appreciate the response
Old 02-03-2014, 11:23 PM   #4
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorovert View Post
lol, thanks humfrz. yes the locking nut was tightened back up, and the cotter pin isn't hitting the bracket. it really sounds like it's coming from the master cylinder. I appreciate the response
Another swing .... maybe the master cylinder is flexing (against) the firewall..?

.....and NO, I ain't sellen them braces ....
Old 02-03-2014, 11:26 PM   #5
86-tundra
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Another swing .... maybe the master cylinder is flexing (against) the firewall..?

.....and NO, I ain't sellen them braces ....
I think maybe this could be it. I don't know why adjusting the clutch engagement location would change it at all. It's really hard to diagnose because there is only 1 of me, and not someone to hit the clutch will looking at different areas
Old 02-03-2014, 11:32 PM   #6
Pacific Auto
Master Installer

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Adjust back to stock and see if it still does it.

If yes, then you have bigger problems... If not, then you mess up adjusting it.
Pacific Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:25 AM   #7
86-tundra
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Auto Films View Post
Adjust back to stock and see if it still does it.

If yes, then you have bigger problems... If not, then you mess up adjusting it.
Yes thanks, I did adjust back to stock and same issue. why would you say this is a bigger problem?
Old 02-04-2014, 12:42 AM   #8
humfrz

Quote:
I think maybe this could be it. I don't know why adjusting the clutch engagement location would change it at all. It's really hard to diagnose because there is only 1 of me, and not someone to hit the clutch will looking at different areas
Ask that cute little neighbor girl to help you out .... .... I doubt she has heard that pick up line before.

I hope you get it sorted out. Let us know what it was.
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
86-tundra (02-04-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #9
86-tundra
Troll Hunter

Does anyone have a diagram of the mastery /slave cylinder brace including the clutch line?

I'm considering disassembling it and trying to isolate the noise
Old 02-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #10
BaeK

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Your case sounds very similar to mine, although mine didn't appear until ~4000 miles mark. (I did the clutch adjustment at around 500 miles) And as you stated, it does feel mechanical and after hours of troubleshooting, I believe the sound is coming from the weld where the long metal shaft meets the triangular metal piece - right above the gas pedal (if you did the clutch adjustment, you should know what I mean).

*edit: maybe mine is coming from the pin to the cylinder as well. I never took the pin out to test both pieces, so my assumption could be wrong.*

I originally posted a thread - http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51935, but the clicking sound still exists today!

I actually went into the dealership to get it looked at a couple months ago and the outcome was a brand new clutch and clutch cover/plate. Their reason was: loose clutch plate. And guess what? The sound came back on my drive back home on that same day.

I'm almost at 8k miles with no clutch failure; I've been just ignoring the annoying clicking sound...
BaeK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BaeK For This Useful Post:
86-tundra (02-04-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #11
86-tundra
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaeK View Post
Your case sounds very similar to mine, although mine didn't appear until ~4000 miles mark. (I did the clutch adjustment at around 500 miles) And as you stated, it does feel mechanical and after hours of troubleshooting, I believe the sound is coming from the weld where the long metal shaft meets the triangular metal piece - right above the gas pedal (if you did the clutch adjustment, you should know what I mean).

*edit: maybe mine is coming from the pin to the cylinder as well. I never took the pin out to test both pieces, so my assumption could be wrong.*

I originally posted a thread - http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51935, but the clicking sound still exists today!

I actually went into the dealership to get it looked at a couple months ago and the outcome was a brand new clutch and clutch cover/plate. Their reason was: loose clutch plate. And guess what? The sound came back on my drive back home on that same day.

I'm almost at 8k miles with no clutch failure; I've been just ignoring the annoying clicking sound...
Wow, thanks for the post! That is crazy. So they replaced the clutch.. same issue. It's gotta be something in the hydraulics of the master cylinder.

It's something really hard to explain to someone, because most people would shrug it off as being part of the transmission noise. I'm glad you spoke up

You should go take the cotter pin out and disconnect the cam from the rod that goes to the cylinder. if you move the pedal, do you still get the sound? I didn't, so I know it's got something to do from the rod down
Old 02-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #12
BaeK

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Wow, thanks for the post! That is crazy. So they replaced the clutch.. same issue. It's gotta be something in the hydraulics of the master cylinder.

It's something really hard to explain to someone, because most people would shrug it off as being part of the transmission noise. I'm glad you spoke up

You should go take the cotter pin out and disconnect the cam from the rod that goes to the cylinder. if you move the pedal, do you still get the sound? I didn't, so I know it's got something to do from the rod down
Np! Now that I've read your post, I'm going to try and remove the cotter pin to further investigate where the sound may be originating. (Does the clutch move back up when you have the pin removed? I guessing you moved it with your hands back and forth??)

What I'm also planning on doing is to revert back to the original clutch height and rotate the U-bracket instead of the small rod that goes into the master cylinder. I used my fingers to rotate the rod for adjustment, but now I am questioning myself if I should have rotated the U-bracket.
BaeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #13
JB86'd

Drives: JAWS
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaeK View Post
Np! Now that I've read your post, I'm going to try and remove the cotter pin to further investigate where the sound may be originating. (Does the clutch move back up when you have the pin removed? I guessing you moved it with your hands back and forth??)

What I'm also planning on doing is to revert back to the original clutch height and rotate the U-bracket instead of the small rod that goes into the master cylinder. I used my fingers to rotate the rod for adjustment, but now I am questioning myself if I should have rotated the U-bracket.
I remember in the clutch adjustment thread someone saying they rotated the U bracket instead and that was the proper way to do it. I have this popping noise as well so maybe that was our mistake. Keep us updated!
Old 02-04-2014, 03:24 PM   #14
86-tundra
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB86'd View Post
I remember in the clutch adjustment thread someone saying they rotated the U bracket instead and that was the proper way to do it. I have this popping noise as well so maybe that was our mistake. Keep us updated!
I rotated the rod as well. There is definitely a common trend there.