follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 01-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #1
86-tundra
Troll Hunter

Drives: fr-s, tundra
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Scratches on Tint

I had tint installed about 4 months ago by a reputable company. Since I got tint, I have noticed when rolling windows up and down with water on them, I get the death squeak.

Today I was washing my car and notice a nice big scratch in the tint on the window. The tint does have the felt strip, which I thought was supposed to prevent scratches like this.

The tint is Formula One high performance auto tint / llumar, and has a life time warranty.. but against "cracking, crazing, dematallizing, delaminating, or color change"..

Do tint guys generally warranty against scratches like this? Or is this something I did that I could prevent from happening?

Old 01-18-2014, 02:21 PM   #2
Muskokan

Drives: white Sport-tech
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Just to be safe, pull a small amount of your drivers side, rear bottom corner.
Then the auto up down when you open the door will do the rest and it will start to peel at the bottom.

Mine actually did that on its own and I'm getting it replaced no questions asked lol
Muskokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:25 PM   #3
Yamajee

Drives: Rocket Bunny'd GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Got llumar and got the scratches you're talking about in the middle of the driver's side window, no idea about the warranty but mine are barely notice-able. Give it a shot and see if they will fix it for you.
Yamajee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamajee For This Useful Post:
86-tundra (01-18-2014)
Old 01-18-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
Zach3794

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, Raven, Manual
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Generally this is something that is avoidable if the installer explains how to take care of the tint to you. These cars come with felt, first off, so if that was sold to you as an extra, you got scalped. Second, it is the responsible thing to ensure that you regularly clean the inside of your windows with an ammonia free window cleaner, especially where the window meets the rubber seal at the top. Unless your factory felts were contaminated to begin with, I don't see how this could be happening to you. I have Llumar's CTX 35 on my FR-S...which is comparable to Formula One (without the fancy name).

Sources being that I work for one of the largest and most reputable window tinting companies in southern California. If your installer was reputable, he will have given you a Llumar warranty card with the film's lot number and installer information. Contact CP Films, (owner of llumar), and file a warranty claim using the information listed on said card. Explain that you follow proper cleaning procedures, you think the installer may have scammed you by selling window felts on a car that comes with them, and ask them to make it right. They're generally very reasonable.
Zach3794 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zach3794 For This Useful Post:
86-tundra (01-18-2014)
Old 01-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #5
86-tundra
Troll Hunter

Thanks for all the help guys.

The felt wasn't sold to me as an extra, I just recognize that it's there. I've cleaned my tint with ammonia free window cleaner before, didn't think it needed to be cleaned recently.. So I'm really not sure how it happened. The scratch comes from below the felt, upwards, halfway up the window.

I do have a warranty card with all the info on it. I may just give them a call - but wanted to see if it was advisable to try to get it covered under warranty or not
Old 01-18-2014, 08:28 PM   #6
Zach3794

There's no reason not to try, the worst they can say is "no". Try contacting the installer first at this point, explain the scratch and see if he will fix it. If he doesn't you'll be contacting CP Film's warranty department and leaving a review while you're there...installers generally just fix whatever is wrong to make the customer happy at that point. They don't want selling rites taken away etc. If it does go as far as CP claims department, tell them you believe the film was installed with less than ideal window preparation, and that as a result you believe dirt left in the bottom of the window has since scratched the film. That *should* get you your claim, at which point they will likely send a different installer to replace the film. Hope this helps
The Following User Says Thank You to Zach3794 For This Useful Post:
86-tundra (01-18-2014)
Old 01-18-2014, 10:19 PM   #7
86-tundra
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach3794 View Post
There's no reason not to try, the worst they can say is "no". Try contacting the installer first at this point, explain the scratch and see if he will fix it. If he doesn't you'll be contacting CP Film's warranty department and leaving a review while you're there...installers generally just fix whatever is wrong to make the customer happy at that point. They don't want selling rites taken away etc. If it does go as far as CP claims department, tell them you believe the film was installed with less than ideal window preparation, and that as a result you believe dirt left in the bottom of the window has since scratched the film. That *should* get you your claim, at which point they will likely send a different installer to replace the film. Hope this helps
You're the man! If I could give you a 100 "thanks" I would
Old 01-19-2014, 12:01 AM   #8
Zach3794

Anything I can do to help. I figure I have a unique perspective on this one. Our company is actually the one that Llumar uses for their warranty jobs in the southern california region, so we get sent out to fix other installers' shit work all day :P
Old 01-19-2014, 06:35 AM   #9
ericmpena

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Happened to me as well. Both my driver side and passenger window have very small scrapes. It actually happened within the 1st month of even having the tint. The scrapes are so small that I didn't think it'd be worth taking back in unless they worsened. So far they have just stayed as very small so I've just forgotten about them.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:28 AM   #10
greenguy101
VMFIC ORLANDO SCIKOTICS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
My rollers have actually scratched the glass on the outside. IMO it a horrible design flaw from Toyota.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2014, 09:13 AM   #11
slicktop

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS 2JZ-GTE/V160 swapped
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
My weather stripping is causing friction and sometimes folds down into the door when the window rolls down.

It's pretty embarrassing when you have a brand new car making any abnormal sounds.
slicktop is offline   Reply With Quote