follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 10-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #15
86-tundra
Troll Hunter

Drives: fr-s, tundra
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJohnDoe View Post
The apartment complex owns the trees and it's unlikely that they are ignorant of the issue. Whether or not you can use this to break the lease is not something I can say (thus the consult your attorney bit). Approach the apartment manager first (preferably using a method that helps you document the discussion), explain the situation, ask what they can do to help. If they come back with something like not my problem you can choose to accept or seek professional legal advice.

The fact is that their trees are causing harm and you can attach a value to the harm that is being done. Best of luck with dealing with the issue.
This. Thank you for constructive feedback like this.
86-tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #16
Myv

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'd buy a car cover, but a good one, I heard poor quality ones could scratch your car.

Definitely get your car opti-coated asap, gives you easier time cleaning the tree sap plus I noticed it protects from micro scratches and swirls after washing (I use 2 bucket wash and microfiber/chamois to dry, but I still notice water 'swirls' after drying but they don't stay after the leftover water completely evaporates).
Myv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #17
OrangeJuleas

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Are you saying I'm a troll?? Really that's funny.

Do I know how apartments work? Yes I actually do. I own and manage a company that specifies in just this.

You could get out if your lease if the landlord allows you, but "legally" they don't have to at all. It's not their fault either that sap from trees goes on your car. Sorry it just doesn't work like that.
That is unhelpful advice, and I am not considering you a troll. It is apartment complexes run by people who don't care that made me swear off ever renting one again. I would rather live in the street than give one red cent to an apartment with apathetic landlords. I have also made it my personal duty to denounce every apartment complex that has made it their policy to not quite give a rat's ass about the people that pay their salaries.

I know managing an apartment complex can be tough, believe me, my girlfriend used to manage a 20 unit complex, but this is not the correct way of managing a pet, let alone people who need shelter. I hope that you're not trying to tell us that your management company "specializes" in treating people poorly when they have a simple request.

That being said, @trevorovert, there's really nothing you can do. Short of asking them to relocate to a space where this isn't an issue (and that depends on how nice they are feeling that day), you signed the lease and you don't get to pick your parking. That's just the way it goes. Hell, if a branch fell directly onto your car, they wouldn't be responsible for the damage unless you could prove that they were negligent. I'd say for you to document the issue with pictures, then try to bring up the paint issue with Toyota/Scion. If they tell you the issue causing the paint to prematurely fail (which they most likely will), then you just might have a case. It will be a long battle for you. Sorry bud.

Otherwise, invest in a car cover that protects from physical damage (this can also cause swirls in the paint job so get one that fits!). Your car is an investment, you should be protecting it anyway.

I'm not insane, in fact I'm kinda rational, when I be asking y'all, "Where did all the passion go?"
OrangeJuleas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrangeJuleas For This Useful Post:
86-tundra (10-11-2013)
Old 10-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #18
86-tundra
Troll Hunter

Drives: fr-s, tundra
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeJuleas View Post
That is unhelpful advice, and I am not considering you a troll. It is apartment complexes run by people who don't care that made me swear off ever renting one again. I would rather live in the street than give one red cent to an apartment with apathetic landlords. I have also made it my personal duty to denounce every apartment complex that has made it their policy to not quite give a rat's ass about the people that pay their salaries.

I know managing an apartment complex can be tough, believe me, my girlfriend used to manage a 20 unit complex, but this is not the correct way of managing a pet, let alone people who need shelter. I hope that you're not trying to tell us that your management company "specializes" in treating people poorly when they have a simple request.

That being said, @trevorovert, there's really nothing you can do. Short of asking them to relocate to a space where this isn't an issue (and that depends on how nice they are feeling that day), you signed the lease and you don't get to pick your parking. That's just the way it goes. Hell, if a branch fell directly onto your car, they wouldn't be responsible for the damage unless you could prove that they were negligent. I'd say for you to document the issue with pictures, then try to bring up the paint issue with Toyota/Scion. If they tell you the issue causing the paint to prematurely fail (which they most likely will), then you just might have a case. It will be a long battle for you. Sorry bud.

Otherwise, invest in a car cover that protects from physical damage (this can also cause swirls in the paint job so get one that fits!). Your car is an investment, you should be protecting it anyway.
Thanks for the input. I've contacted management and they understand my concerns. There are car ports, but they are dedicated to specific units. I asked if it was possibly to transfer the car port to my unit.. otherwise I'll consider transferring within the apartment complex. Also looking at purchasing a car cover since I only drive my FR-S on the weekends. Anyone got any tips on a good cover?
86-tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86-tundra For This Useful Post:
Kakawate (10-21-2013)
Old 10-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #19
TRD_86

Drives: 2013 86 white
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
There is big pine tree from my neighbor drip potka dot like orange/brownish all over my white car. I have to constantly clean it with towel every week w/ towel. This is insane. I'm worried the paint layer will be worn and fade out.
Are there any good suggestion for type of spray cleaner to get at local auto shop to get? it take crazy amount of time to go over dot by dot after car wash.
TRD_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:43 AM   #20
FRSfan111
Sideways and smiling!

Drives: First 86 FRS 5/8/2012 (second US)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_86 View Post
There is big pine tree from my neighbor drip potka dot like orange/brownish all over my white car. I have to constantly clean it with towel every week w/ towel. This is insane. I'm worried the paint layer will be worn and fade out.
Are there any good suggestion for type of spray cleaner to get at local auto shop to get? it take crazy amount of time to go over dot by dot after car wash.
It might sound dumb but it works wonders for me. I have to park my car under trees at work and once in a while I get tree sap.
Turtle wax makes a bug and tar remover spray. I spray it on the sap and I mean I spray heavy. I let it sit for about 10 min. Meanwhile I boil a pot of water. After the 10min or so I dip one of my car wash sponges or mits in the boiling hot water and use it to wipe off te sap. The heat helps brake up the sap. Usually takes me only 1-2 passes across the sap and it's all gone.
FRSfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:20 AM   #21
hanabie

Drives: WRB LMTD '13
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
rubbing alcohol works wonder. Try to apply a little on a softcloth then rub that tiny tree sap spot. Remember to rewax that spot.
hanabie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hanabie For This Useful Post:
86-tundra (10-21-2013)