follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 03-12-2020, 06:38 PM   #43
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltywetman View Post
that's one of the drawbacks of partnering up i guess. Maybe if the GR yaris becomes a big hit toyota will go back to fully developing their sports cars once again. Kinda wondering if I should just bite the bullet and get the overpriced 2020 lol. I half regret not jumping on the trd edition that was in edmonton up until early this year. Main reason I avoided it was because it was pre lowered and lacked the updated infotainment system. But it was priced lower than the 2020 gt's and also came with the trd exhaust, trd intake system. Coulda shoulda woulda :\

In a way I am really wanting to get the 2020 also because wish such low sales in Canada, I wouldn't be surprised if the next gen 86 doesn't even get released up here. They didn't even bring over the handling package for the 2020. It's not like it has to pass any form of additional safety tests as it's the same stuff that was in the 2019 TRD SE. Those pics of the 2020 GT 6M from the quebec dealership really made me sad as it confirmed that it doesn't come with brembos. Are these brakes ones that brembo made specifically for the twins or could I eventually just the same model as an aftermarket part and install it once i'm out of warranty?
The Yaris will be a limited number made for a restricted market. It is also just a souped up econo box so sales will not impact sportscar development just more souped up econoboxes.

As I have said one of the reasons the Canadian sales are low because they don't push the car. If they go for a mass market higher production model for the 2nd gen then they may push it more. That will not make it a better car just more "public" friendly.

You could add them later but it would be expensive. Why not just buy a BRZ if the PP is a priority for you? You can get it all for less money.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:48 PM   #44
saltywetman

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
You could add them later but it would be expensive. Why not just buy a BRZ if the PP is a priority for you? You can get it all for less money.
Yeah they don't advertise them at all over here in Alberta, nor even on the Toyota.ca website. Heck they didn't even put the 2020 models on the site until late January and when they did they did it silently, no special splash poster on the front page with "the 2020 86 is here!" like they do with their other cars.

The BRZ sport tech or ts is the logically better buy for me. But I'm a silly nostalgic classic Toyota person and the 86 belongs with Toyota. I will never be fully satisfied driving this car and seeing all the Subaru/STI logos. So yes, my reason is completely illogical lol. Especially when I'll be paying more for the GT 6M model than I would for a ts which comes with 2 upgrades that is probably valued ~2k. Paying more for less just for that silly Toyota emblem.

I'm thinking if I'm going to consider subaru, I might as well look at the WRX, and if i was going for that... I might as well tack another 10k of debt and go STI. But I've want to change things up with a RWD as I've pretty much driven AWD all my life (first car was celica altrac st165, then rav 6 till now)
saltywetman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saltywetman For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 08:00 PM   #45
Tcoat

Quote:
Yeah they don't advertise them at all over here in Alberta, nor even on the Toyota.ca website. Heck they didn't even put the 2020 models on the site until late January and when they did they did it silently, no special splash poster on the front page with "the 2020 86 is here!" like they do with their other cars.

The BRZ sport tech or ts is the logically better buy for me. But I'm a silly nostalgic classic Toyota person and the 86 belongs with Toyota. I will never be fully satisfied driving this car and seeing all the Subaru/STI logos. So yes, my reason is completely illogical lol. Especially when I'll be paying more for the GT 6M model than I would for a ts which comes with 2 upgrades that is probably valued ~2k. Paying more for less just for that silly Toyota emblem.

I'm thinking if I'm going to consider subaru, I might as well look at the WRX, and if i was going for that... I might as well tack another 10k of debt and go STI. But I've want to change things up with a RWD as I've pretty much driven AWD all my life (first car was celica altrac st165, then rav 6 till now)
Re badge! Subaru is written all over the 86 anyway. Just open the hood.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:02 PM   #46
saltywetman

Quote:
Re badge! Subaru is written all over the 86 anyway. Just open the hood.
Lol yeah, I don't know... I don't think I will be able to do that haha if i go subie it'll be for one of their 4wd machines!

Subaru currently has a 0.5% financing promotion for the 2020 BRZ until the end of march... It's like everything is telling me to go subaru!

Last edited by saltywetman; 03-12-2020 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:20 AM   #47
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
If you dont care about the PP and want to stick with Toyota you could always just get a preowned slightly older model (2018+ for GT trims). Its what im doing. Im hoping a 2018+ 86 GT in Oceanic shows up, and i think they could be had for around 25k for a nice savings. I dont really care all that much about the newer 2020 head unit. The older HU is the same one used in my Scion IM so that isnt going to bother me at all.

Yeah there is literally no advertising of these cars in AB. Its just there. Im assuming they just dont sell many here but they might like having 1 sports car in the showroom just to attract showroom traffic. It just so happens the Supra is kind of the "flavour of the month" so to speak so thats the one they want to show off.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:22 PM   #48
saltywetman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
If you dont care about the PP and want to stick with Toyota you could always just get a preowned slightly older model (2018+ for GT trims). Its what im doing. Im hoping a 2018+ 86 GT in Oceanic shows up, and i think they could be had for around 25k for a nice savings. I dont really care all that much about the newer 2020 head unit. The older HU is the same one used in my Scion IM so that isnt going to bother me at all.

Yeah there is literally no advertising of these cars in AB. Its just there. Im assuming they just dont sell many here but they might like having 1 sports car in the showroom just to attract showroom traffic. It just so happens the Supra is kind of the "flavour of the month" so to speak so thats the one they want to show off.

The new head unit was one of the reasons why I didn't pull trigger on the trd edition that was selling for a great price back in January (along with the color, garish bodykit and coming with lowering springs installed) I'm 90% sure I'll end up still pulling the trigger on a 2020 but will fight harder to see if I can get a good price on it. I'll be looking to put a few add-ons so hopefully even if they don't have wiggle room on the car itself they can play with the options
The Following User Says Thank You to saltywetman For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-13-2020)
Old 03-13-2020, 09:19 PM   #49
Tcoat

Quote:
The new head unit was one of the reasons why I didn't pull trigger on the trd edition that was selling for a great price back in January (along with the color, garish bodykit and coming with lowering springs installed) I'm 90% sure I'll end up still pulling the trigger on a 2020 but will fight harder to see if I can get a good price on it. I'll be looking to put a few add-ons so hopefully even if they don't have wiggle room on the car itself they can play with the options
Don't expect to get any super discounts or free/deeply discounted extras. These are not high mark up cars like a Corolla or Camry where they can play with prices and extras. If you can find one with the trim and colour you want that has been sitting there a bit you may have a bit more bargaining power but even then we are just heading into the time of year where they start to sell here so they may not budge far. It isn't that they are trying to rip people off or being a "stealership" but the simple fact that they are not going to lose money on selling a low margin car for dirt cheap. They are a business after all.
Now... find the right car, in the right place and at the right time then you may at least save a little.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:22 PM   #50
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post

LOL So few they ship one all the way to ME!
Old 03-14-2020, 10:19 AM   #51
saltywetman

Quote:
Don't expect to get any super discounts or free/deeply discounted extras. These are not high mark up cars like a Corolla or Camry where they can play with prices and extras. If you can find one with the trim and colour you want that has been sitting there a bit you may have a bit more bargaining power but even then we are just heading into the time of year where they start to sell here so they may not budge far. It isn't that they are trying to rip people off or being a "stealership" but the simple fact that they are not going to lose money on selling a low margin car for dirt cheap. They are a business after all.
Now... find the right car, in the right place and at the right time then you may at least save a little.
Yeah I have a feeling you're right. You managed to get your hakone for a bit below cost right? Not looking for a super steal but seeing as the value of the gt 6m significantly dropped finding out it lacked brembos and sachs I definitely won't want to overpay. Won't be looking for them to drop the price below a brz ts but I def don't want the usual dealer markup on top of the price generated from the toyota.ca website!
Old 03-14-2020, 10:42 AM   #52
Tcoat

Quote:
Yeah I have a feeling you're right. You managed to get your hakone for a bit below cost right? Not looking for a super steal but seeing as the value of the gt 6m significantly dropped finding out it lacked brembos and sachs I definitely won't want to overpay. Won't be looking for them to drop the price below a brz ts but I def don't want the usual dealer markup on top of the price generated from the toyota.ca website!
Looking at some of the markups in some areas then getting it for MSRP is actually pretty good if you are there. I got about $500 off MSRP and that was all they could do. I know and trust them there. Since they did not have it in stock there was no mark up and the Toyota Canada price is what they stated so I didn't have to fight mark up.
saltywetman (03-14-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 06:20 PM   #53
saltywetman

Quote:
Looking at some of the markups in some areas then getting it for MSRP is actually pretty good if you are there. I got about $500 off MSRP and that was all they could do. I know and trust them there. Since they did not have it in stock there was no mark up and the Toyota Canada price is what they stated so I didn't have to fight mark up.
Is MSRP the price that would be listed on build your toyota? (GT 6M trim is listed at $34450 on there)

Right now one of the dealers emailed me

"Here is what my manager structured for you.
MRSP: $36,921 + accessories + taxes
Your Price: $34,071 + accessories + taxes"

so the price they quoted me is roughly 380 off MSRP. If MSRP or anything lower is a decent offer I may pull the trigger within the next 2 months. Will just email a few other dealerships first.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:40 PM   #54
Tcoat

Quote:
Is MSRP the price that would be listed on build your toyota? (GT 6M trim is listed at $34450 on there)

Right now one of the dealers emailed me

"Here is what my manager structured for you.
MRSP: $36,921 + accessories + taxes
Your Price: $34,071 + accessories + taxes"

so the price they quoted me is roughly 380 off MSRP. If MSRP or anything lower is a decent offer I may pull the trigger within the next 2 months. Will just email a few other dealerships first.
MRSP is the price from the Toyota Canada site.

The MT GT is listed as $33260 the AT is the $34K one.

Not sure where the dealers are coming up with these MRSPs of $36K + unless they are adding in fees and such as part of the price. Those should be shown separate though.

What dealer?
Old 03-19-2020, 01:40 AM   #55
saltywetman

Quote:
MRSP is the price from the Toyota Canada site.

The MT GT is listed as $33260 the AT is the $34K one.

Not sure where the dealers are coming up with these MRSPs of $36K + unless they are adding in fees and such as part of the price. Those should be shown separate though.

What dealer?
MSRP must be different depending on province. $34,450 is listed for the GT6M in Alberta while AT is $34,590. Fees are all added on top. The above quote was provided to me from Toyota Northwest Edmonton. Mayfield Toyota provided the lower one below. Gateway Toyota finally provided me with a quote that actually beat Mayfield's by 200ish but the email interaction wasn't that clear. They kept sending me these small emails with numbers when I repeatedly asked for a single detailed quote with a breakdown of fees and what's included. When I finally received one from them which was roughly put together I had already put down my deposit with Mayfield. I'll see if Mayfield is willing to match or beat them after the fact but Mayfield was the most straightforward and sent a detailed quote right off the bat without asking.

The best price I got quoted was:

VEHICLE PRICING - FINANCE
Sales Amount $36,220.00
Discount $2,700.00
Accessories $3,915.98
Subtotal $37,435.98
Options & Fees $126.25
GST (5%) $1,878.11
Finance Cap Cost $39,440.34

Just looking at the top 2 numbers $36220 - $2700 = $33520 which is very roughly $930 off of the Alberta MSRP

Accessories really pushing up the price to the point i could get the next class up of cars but I do want a twin... and because of my illogical nostalgic personal rule of needing a Toyota badge on my 86, I cannot get the BRZ lol which will likely bring the price much lower since the accessories i am adding on thru toyota could be gotten after market for cheaper.

Nonetheless the final number I will get hit with will be at most a hundred bucks or so less than the one above. I personally think dealerships are slightly inflating the MSRP they give me in the quote to make it sound like an even bigger discount than it actually is. But if what you say about anything MSRP and lower is a decent deal, then the quotes I have received thus far are reasonable

The slightly higher MSRP in AB is likely making up for the fact we pay 8% less sales tax than you guys

TBH if it were another car I am buying that dealerships actually stock on their lot, I'd wait a few months for the economy to tank further nationally and maybe some dealerships will be desperate enough to give even better deals to get them off the lot. Now that a lot of people won't be working due to workplaces closing down etc.

Edit: Just put down a deposit an ablaze expected to arrive in may! But with this pandemic have no idea what will happen in a month's time

Last edited by saltywetman; 03-24-2020 at 08:40 AM.