follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 01-03-2015, 12:31 PM   #1401
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
Surge tank?
No. Message me on FB if you're curious. A shop did something similar on here and I don't want people asking me about it until I've built one and proven it works.
ATL BRZ (01-03-2015), chanomatik (01-06-2015), civicdrivr (01-05-2015)
Old 01-04-2015, 09:23 PM   #1402
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Buttoned everything up, reinstalled the bumper and brought the car home with everything done except the splitter install. Feels good to have fresh engine and gear oil along with fresh coolant in a big ass radiator and low temp thermostat. Also washed and reoiled the K&N air filter. Running smoother than ever.

I installed the support rod brackets to the crash beam and installed the downforce vanes to the bottom of the splitter.

The radiator and low temp thermostat are definitely doing their jobs. I haven't hooked up my OBD2 adapter to Torque yet but the car previously always ran at the dead center of the coolant temp gauge and now it's running barely above the first notch fully warmed up. This should make a big difference on track in the middle of summer.

ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (01-06-2015), civicdrivr (01-05-2015), Rosticles (01-04-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 08:32 AM   #1403
Jchonn

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ Ltd.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hey Ian!
Did the lip spoiler come painted? I guess i wouldnt be able to get it in WRB eh?
Jchonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:51 AM   #1404
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchonn View Post
Hey Ian!
Did the lip spoiler come painted? I guess i wouldnt be able to get it in WRB eh?
The TRD rear spoiler comes factory painted in black, white and silver I think. You can get it unpainted too.

Stivo sell painted WRB duck tail spoilers through Wheel Dude.
The Following User Says Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
Jchonn (01-05-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 10:53 AM   #1405
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Edit: decided against the oil pan baffle.
Want to elaborate? I used the Subaru recommended for all motors other than the FA20 Fuji Bond to reinstall my oil pan, and I never had any leaks.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:59 AM   #1406
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
I also decided not to keep the Moroso oil pan baffle. I'm not sure it would be worth installing since the pan is adhered to the block and won't come off without prying it and inevitably bending it and have to flatten it back. I chatted with @Reaper about this and after agreeing that the factory baffle is sufficient and I don't see much benefit to the extra baffling since the oil level is already above the top of the pan in the FA20. I also haven't heard of anyone having issues with the pan itself not holding oil in it.

We agreed that I should instead be considering an oil accumulator (Accusump) to keep pressure and lubrication under high lateral loads before bothering with a baffle for the pan. Right now with 245 street tires I don't think it's an issue that needs to be immediately addressed. Should I go wider and stickier then maybe I will look into it more seriously.
A simple piece of wood and a hammer and you can get the lower oil pan level again in no time. There is no efficient baffling in the OEM lower oil pan. I don't know that I would say that is sufficient, but the real question is what your oil pressure is doing on a given lap around the track. If it is fine, then I wouldn't worry about it. Adding the longer lines that need to be pressurized to add an Accusump can actually hurt your oil pressure along with the drop you get from adding the lines and cooler for an oil cooler setup. You really need oil pressure datalogs to decide where to go in the future. Have you posted any and did I miss them?
Old 01-05-2015, 11:15 AM   #1407
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
A simple piece of wood and a hammer and you can get the lower oil pan level again in no time. There is no efficient baffling in the OEM lower oil pan. I don't know that I would say that is sufficient, but the real question is what your oil pressure is doing on a given lap around the track. If it is fine, then I wouldn't worry about it. Adding the longer lines that need to be pressurized to add an Accusump can actually hurt your oil pressure along with the drop you get from adding the lines and cooler for an oil cooler setup. You really need oil pressure datalogs to decide where to go in the future. Have you posted any and did I miss them?
Don't have a pressure sensor/gauge so I'm not sure where I'm at.

I'm just going off of others experiences with pressures who have fitted a sensor in the block and logged it on track. ( @Dave-ROR , @Element Tuning , @Dezoris )

I've switched to 30 weight oil to keep pressures up with the oil cooler as Dave has experimented, but aside from that I'm not even sure I'm having issues with oiling as-is, but I'm always willing to make sure it stays safe should I go FI and/or start running R Comps.

More reasons baffling the lower pan seems to be moot... from another related thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Jeff View Post
the good thing is this new engine is constructed like the older H6 engines where the lower half of the engine has a built in baffle. And it looks more baffled that those older engines.

That flat baffles goes right in the middle. Very nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Element Tuning View Post
In the end its really about how fast around the track you plan on going. We'll be working on a dry sump like we did for our time attack sti. No amount of oil pan baffling will help when all the oil is trapped in the heads due to extreme grip. This is one major downside to the boxer motor.

Last edited by ATL BRZ; 01-05-2015 at 11:29 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (01-06-2015), Hyper4mance2k (03-10-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 07:24 PM   #1408
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Don't have a pressure sensor/gauge so I'm not sure where I'm at.

I've switched to 30 weight oil to keep pressures up with the oil cooler as Dave has experimented, but aside from that I'm not even sure I'm having issues with oiling as-is, but I'm always willing to make sure it stays safe should I go FI and/or start running R Comps.

More reasons baffling the lower pan seems to be moot... from another related thread:

30wt is fine for NA and street tires up to about 245F. With oil cooler you should hover there near the end of 20 minute session.

40WT if you see a ton of heat, and agressive tuning or running SC.
If you are setting up a car like Element tuning in competitive setting with high lateral gforce and Rcomps with higher HP you are talking custom setup. Oil WT wont be enough. Thats partly why I parted ways with car. Going from conservative to racey/competitive is too much of an investment on a street car for my tastes. (Rather start with platform with proper cooling and oiling from factory next time)
Old 01-05-2015, 09:51 PM   #1409
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
Going from conservative to racey/competitive is too much of an investment on a street car for my tastes. (Rather start with platform with proper cooling and oiling from factory next time)
For me, going from a modded 944 Turbo to this car feels like a much more wallet-friendly adventure in regards to building a reliable track car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
(Rather start with platform with proper cooling and oiling from factory next time)
Are you going to say S2000? or C7 Z51?
The Following User Says Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (01-06-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 10:02 AM   #1410
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
For me, going from a modded 944 Turbo to this car feels like a much more wallet-friendly adventure in regards to building a reliable track car.

The S2000 doesn't have the greatest cooling system either. I would say the C5 Z06 is probably the answer when Miata isn't.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:56 PM   #1411
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quote:

Well yeah the FRS is by far one of the most fun affordable platforms to transform.

Gonna be unloading S2000 too.
Honestly not quite sure, its either going back to Rotax (Which makes most sense for me), C7, or just some actual track toy like Atom3.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:38 PM   #1412
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Installed the splitter and a pair of tow hooks that I got used from a forum member for $40

It works. Really well. So well in fact that the car ended up throwing a CEL on the way home for coolant temp.

I cleared it and got home fine but I think I may possibly to have @moto-mike adjust minimum values in the tune files I have to keep the CEL from triggering in the future. The splitter works REALLY well. Had it up to highway speeds and the car definitely felt more planted in front. Looking forward to having it out at Road Atlanta next month.

Last edited by ATL BRZ; 01-18-2015 at 11:09 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
buddy32 (01-11-2015), DocWalt (01-11-2015)
Old 01-10-2015, 09:11 PM   #1413
Porcupint

Drives: 13 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Form follows function right here. Gorgeous!
Porcupint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Porcupint For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (01-10-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 12:49 AM   #1414
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,470 Times in 765 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Good thing you don't drive up, your car would barely get up to temp

Looks killer dude! I flew over Road Atlanta on Monday. So envious of it being so close to you!
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (01-11-2015)

Tags
jdl turbo, mazworx, racecomp engineering, track build, verus engineering