follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 02-20-2021, 11:50 AM   #1
WildWeasel

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New Wheels Questions

Hey guys, I'm looking to get new wheels for my 86 soon. I just have a few questions I'd like to ask before making a large purchase.

I currently use my car as a daily with no Auto-X or tracking. I would like to track my car eventually, but at most this might be a once or twice a year kind of thing, and after I do an introductory course. I also don't plan on FI, as my plans for power are pretty much just an EL header and tune. I figure this means a 17x8 wheel would work fine.

The wheels I'm looking at are SSR GTX01's in 17x8 45 offset.
I'm still on the stock primacy tires and I'm wondering if running the 215/45 R17 tires can be done on a 17x8 wheel. I know it would be stretched, but I'm wondering if it's a bad idea. Can you safely run the stock tires on an 8" wide wheel? I'd like to use up the stock tires before spending money on new ones. Once those run out I'd get 225/45 R17 tires to replace them.

If you guys have any recommended vendors for new wheels, I'm all ears, it looks like Fitment Industries is backordered for these particular ones.

Also,
Would hubcentric rings also be a good idea, or not necessary?
Any good recommendations for TPMS?

Thanks!
WildWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 05:19 PM   #2
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
I'd just wait and get wheels/tires at the same time...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (02-20-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 07:24 PM   #3
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I fully understand the siren song of new wheels. That said, I agree with ZDan. Wear out the OEMs and replace tires and wheels at the same time. The truth is I didn't wait. I swapped out the OEM wheels AND tires at about 20k miles. Mostly because of the tires.

To answer your last couple of questions. Yes, you can run the 215s on 8" wheels. It will stretch them some, but IIRC Michelin is OK with it. I suspect it'll harshen up the ride some. But that's your call.

I don't seen any reason not to reuse the OEM TPMS modules. I did.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:18 PM   #4
WildWeasel

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I primarily want the new wheels now so I can keep my winter tires on the stock wheels. That way I don't have to set up an appointment at Discount Tire or some place to get the wheels mounted/dismounted every spring and winter.
WildWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote