follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 01-16-2017, 02:06 PM   #85
Sarlacc
/dev/null

Drives: Uphill
Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,420 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
In my GT86 there is separate round antenna to be installed near base of front windshield, at least for stock toyota's Touch & Go navi. Is it different for BRZs? If same for them aswell, how should antenna type on top of car affect GPS reception?
Hi there! Greetings from Norway
You are correct, the radio antenna on the roof of the GT86 has nothing to do with the GPS.

In North America some cars receive radio broadcasts from satellites and need special antennae for this purpose.
Sarlacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:03 PM   #86
carczar87
Perpetually Sideways

Drives: '14 DGM BRZ, '94 Volvo 940 Turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna View Post
I was able to swap out my '13 antenna for the '15 last week.

My reception is still fine, however, every time I start my car, the radio tells me to "Check Antenna." Has anyone else experienced this and/or been able to fix it?
I did this swap close to a year ago and did not have this issue. Did you use the subaru part or is it a third party antenna? If it is indeed the oem, might a loose connection be the cause?
carczar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carczar87 For This Useful Post:
BigTuna (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 12:16 PM   #87
BigTuna

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carczar87 View Post
I did this swap close to a year ago and did not have this issue. Did you use the subaru part or is it a third party antenna? If it is indeed the oem, might a loose connection be the cause?
It's an OEM one from a '15. It doesn't seem to effect AM/FM radio though. It seems like its more of an issue with XM, which I don't have anyway.When I go into the satellite radio screen, the "Check Antena" box is always on.

I'll take a look at the connection at some point and report back.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:18 PM   #88
g0lds

Drives: 14 BRZ Limited
I just wanted to share that I got my OEM shark fin from a wrecked car from LKQ. It was significantly cheaper than OEM. I recommend anyone looking to do this mod call your local LKQ to see if they can source one for you. I did put an FR-S antenna on to my BRZ and, as was noted in the OP, I lost XM connectivity but it did still work just fine otherwise. Won't matter eventually when I get a Joying HU but still thought I'd share.
g0lds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to g0lds For This Useful Post:
Allen Poe (03-29-2018)
Old 04-14-2017, 12:56 PM   #89
brz_enthusiast

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited WR Blue
I'm having a hard time getting the connector clip out. Anyone have any tips? What did you use to raise the lip holding the connector in place?

Last edited by brz_enthusiast; 04-14-2017 at 01:11 PM.
brz_enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:02 PM   #90
Allen Poe
AT Pleb

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram (Firestorm Red)
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0lds View Post
I just wanted to share that I got my OEM shark fin from a wrecked car from LKQ. It was significantly cheaper than OEM. I recommend anyone looking to do this mod call your local LKQ to see if they can source one for you. I did put an FR-S antenna on to my BRZ and, as was noted in the OP, I lost XM connectivity but it did still work just fine otherwise. Won't matter eventually when I get a Joying HU but still thought I'd share.
I was about to order an ikon shark fin until I saw your post. I called LKQ up, they found me a black OEM shark fin for $30 and it'll be here monday. Many many thanks.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:30 PM   #91
Suparu

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Thank you kbye for making such a comprehensive, detailed tutorial with great info and pictures!

I just put a 2015+ OEM Shark Fin antenna on my 2013 thanks to your help.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:41 PM   #92
beautyandthebrz

Drives: BRZ
Question Wiggles

I tightened mine so it’s snug against the roof but it wiggles from side to side a bit.
beautyandthebrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:42 PM   #93
beautyandthebrz

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suparu View Post
Thank you kbye for making such a comprehensive, detailed tutorial with great info and pictures!

I just put a 2015+ OEM Shark Fin antenna on my 2013 thanks to your help.
Did yours wiggle at all? I put a 2015 on my 2013 as well and it wiggles from side to side. It is tightened snug against the roof
beautyandthebrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:30 PM   #94
Suparu

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautyandthebrz View Post
Did yours wiggle at all? I put a 2015 on my 2013 as well and it wiggles from side to side. It is tightened snug against the roof
There's no wiggle at all on mine. I was paranoid about rain getting in so I made it really tight.

At first it just wasn't sitting right, so it took a little fanagling. It was cuz of that wire.

When I first put it into place it'd look fine on the outside until I went back inside to tighten it. Then I'd look at it on the outside again and it didn't look right. The sharkfin's base wasn't perfectly flush with the roof. After a couple tries, fanagling with that wire while tightening, I got it into place and it looked right. Then I tightened it really tight and it's been solid ever since. I did it by myself but if it seems like you're having the same problem then it might make it easier to have 2nd person to hold it in place on the outside while you tighten it on the inside. It's a fussy little thing.

Last edited by Suparu; 05-13-2020 at 02:50 PM.
Suparu is offline   Reply With Quote