follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-29-2017, 07:18 PM   #7967
Docmattic

Drives: GT 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
On pump gas 93 I have significant stutters/hesitations in my tune when my car is cold. 70% of it goes away when the car is warm.

On e85 the rev range is butter smooth in comparison.

Just my experience.
Thanks, this is good to know. Yeah I'm on the equivalent of 94 pump (98 octane here).

Perhaps its something I will have to learn to live with (like I have been)
and accept as the way the car is.
Docmattic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:20 PM   #7968
Docmattic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
check your blower oil.
Good advice. I try to remember to check it pretty regularly.
I fill until the oil meets the dot on in the middle of the sight guage.
It seems to be about right on the stick (In general though, I do find it very hard to see the oil on the stick)
Old 06-29-2017, 07:23 PM   #7969
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docmattic View Post
Thanks, this is good to know. Yeah I'm on the equivalent of 94 pump (98 octane here).

Perhaps its something I will have to learn to live with (like I have been)
and accept as the way the car is.
I suppose we just need to determine if are both experiencing the same thing. I would consider the stutter 'fairly rough' compared to the stock car, but I don't feel as though the car has a big problem or any serious issue... there is just a noticable glitch/stutter/notch as i accelerate at mild-medium pace from 2k to 3.25k when running pump gas. I usually can feel 3 to 4 'bumps' (stutters) consistently in that spot. When the car is cold it is worse -- the acceleration is lurchy, and it just doesn't feel good until its warm.

The problem for me, is that I've run E85 for the last 10 tanks. I had to switch back to 93 for some long highway driving about 3 tanks ago, and man, it felt really rough in comparison to the smoothness of the E85 (which feels smoother than stock, in a serious way). I thought to myself 'Hmm... if I ever run into a spot where I can no longer run E85, i'll have to sell this kit and go a different direction' -- That's how disappointing it felt after having run E85 for so long.

So overall, you can definitely get used to it, and most of it is probably normal (tune might be able to improve some of it)... just realize that if you run E85 you may not be able to go back
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:04 AM   #7970
Docmattic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
I suppose we just need to determine if are both experiencing the same thing. I would consider the stutter 'fairly rough' compared to the stock car, but I don't feel as though the car has a big problem or any serious issue... there is just a noticable glitch/stutter/notch as i accelerate at mild-medium pace from 2k to 3.25k when running pump gas. I usually can feel 3 to 4 'bumps' (stutters) consistently in that spot. When the car is cold it is worse -- the acceleration is lurchy, and it just doesn't feel good until its warm.

The problem for me, is that I've run E85 for the last 10 tanks. I had to switch back to 93 for some long highway driving about 3 tanks ago, and man, it felt really rough in comparison to the smoothness of the E85 (which feels smoother than stock, in a serious way). I thought to myself 'Hmm... if I ever run into a spot where I can no longer run E85, i'll have to sell this kit and go a different direction' -- That's how disappointing it felt after having run E85 for so long.

So overall, you can definitely get used to it, and most of it is probably normal (tune might be able to improve some of it)... just realize that if you run E85 you may not be able to go back
Thats the same range I have problems in, you have described it much better than I could. The only difference in mine is once my car is warm i get no problems at all.

When your car is cold, if you were to accelerate from 4k rpm and up, how does it feel? Mine feels much better up there. It obviously feels like the car is still warming up but is smooth as silk where as 2k-3.25k feels like dogbox. *Before anyone asks, I do not try to beat on it like that very regularly on warmup-more to assess my problem and the occasional fast merge.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:54 AM   #7971
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docmattic View Post
Thats the same range I have problems in, you have described it much better than I could. The only difference in mine is once my car is warm i get no problems at all.

When your car is cold, if you were to accelerate from 4k rpm and up, how does it feel? Mine feels much better up there. It obviously feels like the car is still warming up but is smooth as silk where as 2k-3.25k feels like dogbox. *Before anyone asks, I do not try to beat on it like that very regularly on warmup-more to assess my problem and the occasional fast merge.
Yep. On pump gas from about 3.5k up to redline everything is smooth, even when cold.
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:51 PM   #7972
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Mine works great no matter the RPMs on Costco 92 octane, but I was also tuned on the same gas. There was one time I filled up and it ran crappy and studdered but it may have been because it was a bad batch of gas. Never had an issue aside from that one tank of gas.
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:11 AM   #7973
riboyster

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
From what I understand, the motor runs fuel injection differently until warmed up. Not too sure how the car drives though; haven't ever pushed it with cold oil.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:35 AM   #7974
Vten

Drives: Too heavy
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Anyone has a rep contact number from sprintex USA ? I'm trying to get a replacement sight glass for the 210 blower ... oil sipping from glass part. Thx guys
Vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:20 PM   #7975
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vten View Post
Anyone has a rep contact number from sprintex USA ? I'm trying to get a replacement sight glass for the 210 blower ... oil sipping from glass part. Thx guys
I think it's: (855) 591-2778
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stockysnail For This Useful Post:
Vten (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 01:24 PM   #7976
leets4uc3

Drives: Sprintex carbon fiber wide body
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have 700cc injector kit and flex fuel tune from delicious tuning. Last week I filled up my tank with 91 and my car started to stall when shifting into neutral as I came to stop at the stop light every now and then. After it began stalling, the car also started hard starting; the car would crank for 3-5 seconds before starting. I filled up about 3/4 tank of E85 and the car stopped stalling but, still hard starts. Vacuum and boost seem to be fine and car drives like normal. Also, I live in AZ so its really damn hot out.

Anyone have any tips?
leets4uc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:46 PM   #7977
leets4uc3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leets4uc3 View Post
I have 700cc injector kit and flex fuel tune from delicious tuning. Last week I filled up my tank with 91 and my car started to stall when shifting into neutral as I came to stop at the stop light every now and then. After it began stalling, the car also started hard starting; the car would crank for 3-5 seconds before starting. I filled up about 3/4 tank of E85 and the car stopped stalling but, still hard starts. Vacuum and boost seem to be fine and car drives like normal. Also, I live in AZ so its really damn hot out.

Anyone have any tips?
Car keep stalling when shifting in to neutral and the idle was rough when sitting at some stop lights too. Check engine light was blinking when I pulling into the driveway and quickly went away.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2017, 05:04 PM   #7978
CK_Bladesmith

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Car keep stalling when shifting in to neutral and the idle was rough when sitting at some stop lights too. Check engine light was blinking when I pulling into the driveway and quickly went away.

Blinking check engine light usually = misfiring
Raven FR-S mods: Unichip, Ground Control street coilovers with camber plates and strut tower brace, SPC Lca's, Drag DR-38 wheels with Dunlop Direzza DZ101s, Perrin CAI and silicone inlet tube, Perrin 3" resonated catback, Perrin high flow catted front pipe, Rev Works UEL header.
CK_Bladesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:07 PM   #7979
leets4uc3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_Bladesmith View Post
Blinking check engine light usually = misfiring
That's what I was thinking

Old 07-07-2017, 05:30 PM   #7980
leets4uc3

Quote:
That's what I was thinking

Code p0301 cylinder 1 misfire. Car took a while to start again and idle is rough, but no CEL. Bogs down then raises to about 1.5k rpm and stays for a little then returns to normal. Car drives like normal besides when sitting at idle.

Last edited by leets4uc3; 07-07-2017 at 10:29 PM.

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.