follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-18-2017, 01:30 PM   #1
Dfyfzx

Drives: JRSC C38 HBP E85 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Catch can debate...confused!

So I bought an FRS back in November. Jackson c38 kit installed. Doesn't have a catch can. Messaged Jackson to see which setup they recommend.

There is no catch can we recommend. We actually do not run them on any of our street or race cars.

Regards,
--
Jackson Racing Sales

END QUOTE

Arguably the highest quality Supercharger manufacturer for our cars doesn't use catch cans? Why are they so hotly debated? I know good setups do catch some oil but is it really enough to be detrimental to our cars?

FYI, I have a full Velox AOS setup sitting in a box that I bought on a whim but I'm not sure I want to install it now and add more weight, complexity, and another potential failure point under the hood. A lot going on under there as is.

Aaaaaand discuss...
Dfyfzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:15 PM   #2
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Failure point? A catch can is about the least likely to fail component in the world. It's pretty much idiot proof and it's easy to install. But it does require extra maintenence so maybe that's why Jackson doesn't use it.

But it's also not needed, it's a small tweak and really for our car we don't have to worry about the intake valves getting carboned up. I'm NA and have a catch can (mishimoto) and it does work for filtering out oily blow by.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guybo For This Useful Post:
R2RO (02-18-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 04:50 PM   #3
R2RO

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2013 FR-S(2JZ Build)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Get a Radium PCV Catch can and call it a day, your engine will thank you later.
Also Forced Induction cars from what I've noticed in my 2+ years of being turbo'd, catch a lot of blow by. It doesn't hurt to have the extra insurance that a catch can will give you in the long run.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:03 PM   #4
Somerandom18

Drives: 2017 manual BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I had a mishimoto compact for about 5k. Caught a lot of blowby but had a vacuum leak that was getting annoying. Ended up taking it off. The port injection will clean the valves with some intake cleaner well enough.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by Somerandom18; 02-18-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Somerandom18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:12 PM   #5
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
It's to solve a random problem that some cars may have. Check your pcv valve and crankcase vent line. If oil is present, a catch can will help. If it isn't, it won't. Some cars collect noticeable amounts of oil; others don't.

That said, Velox and Radium are both excellent products. If you end up needing a catch can, your Velox AOS is ideal. If you want to install it as a precaution or because it looks cool, it won't hurt anything.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:32 PM   #6
Dfyfzx

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
Failure point? A catch can is about the least likely to fail component in the world. It's pretty much idiot proof and it's easy to install. But it does require extra maintenence so maybe that's why Jackson doesn't use it.

But it's also not needed, it's a small tweak and really for our car we don't have to worry about the intake valves getting carboned up. I'm NA and have a catch can (mishimoto) and it does work for filtering out oily blow by.
Hose clamps break, hoses crack, check valves lock opened or closed... While not a likely failure point, it COULD cause a vacuum leak or over pressurized crank case. Again, not really worried about it as a likely failure point I suppose.

At this point, there's been enough weight added to the nose of my car, any extra bolt ons that aren't completely necessary I do refer to skip. Also, having $400 back in my wallet would be preferable😎
Old 02-19-2017, 12:51 AM   #7
Irace86
Banned

Drives: BRZ + Ducati M796
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfyfzx View Post
So I bought an FRS back in November. Jackson c38 kit installed. Doesn't have a catch can. Messaged Jackson to see which setup they recommend.

There is no catch can we recommend. We actually do not run them on any of our street or race cars.

Regards,
--
Jackson Racing Sales

END QUOTE

Arguably the highest quality Supercharger manufacturer for our cars doesn't use catch cans? Why are they so hotly debated? I know good setups do catch some oil but is it really enough to be detrimental to our cars?

FYI, I have a full Velox AOS setup sitting in a box that I bought on a whim but I'm not sure I want to install it now and add more weight, complexity, and another potential failure point under the hood. A lot going on under there as is.

Aaaaaand discuss...
What's arguable is that they are the highest quality. Nothing against them at all. Just think that comment is suspect.

I would say if you are FI, especially aftermarket FI on a NA vehicle, a catch can is smart but not necessary. It won't change engine life significantly compared to the general detriment of adding substantial extra power over stock hp. This fact is likely compounded in racing applications.
Irace86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 01:53 AM   #8
Dfyfzx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86 View Post
What's arguable is that they are the highest quality. Nothing against them at all. Just think that comment is suspect.
Hence my use of the "arguably" and not saying they ARE the highest quality. They are in the argument for highest quality in my book but opinions, a$$holes and all that jazz... I would have preferred a used 86 car with a Cosworth blower but got sick of waiting trying to find one.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:25 AM   #9
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Mine was $100, there's no check valves. If the hoses break or crack, they would have anyway because they are the same hoses that the PCV system uses. Hose in from PCV, catch can port, Brass screen, catch can, port out, hose, into the intake mani, a couple of hose clamps. I've added a drain valve at the bottom (simple butterfly valve). That's it. Weight is 1-2 lbs, you'll never notice that weight, it's not on the nose of the car, it's beside the battery right on the center of gravity.

If it develops a vacuum leak or some sort, it'll show up in the fuel trims. IMHO once you start to modify, you have to watch AFR, fuel trims and a few other things too.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guybo For This Useful Post:
Brz866 (04-28-2018)
Old 02-19-2017, 12:48 PM   #10
Irace86
Banned

Drives: BRZ + Ducati M796
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfyfzx View Post
Hence my use of the "arguably" and not saying they ARE the highest quality. They are in the argument for highest quality in my book but opinions, a$$holes and all that jazz... I would have preferred a used 86 car with a Cosworth blower but got sick of waiting trying to find one.
Right... except your conclusion following your premise only works if you are claiming they are high quality... X is the highest quality yet WTF no catch can??? Therefore it must not be very important to have a catch can, right? It doesn't make sense if you say x is a shitty company yet they have no catch can and I'm confused how this could be...?

I was just giving you shit.
Irace86 is offline   Reply With Quote