follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 02-01-2016, 12:41 PM   #1
[YOYO]
Amazing Member

Drives: 2014 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TPMS sensors – Are they worth the hassle?

Hey guys! So as the post title states, are TPMS sensors worth the hassle? Late last year I purchased a 2014 FR-S and this is my first vehicle with such sensors. This spring I plan on getting some tires installed on my Gram Lights 57DR (which currently come with some cool RAYS valves pre installed), and these will most likely be the only wheels that I will be running for the time being. Whether I move the sensors from the factory wheels to the new ones or get new sensors installed altogether, it will cost me extra. So either I pay up or deal with the TPMS warning light.

Could anyone chime in on their possibly, long standing experience with TPMS sensors? I hear they can have a tendency of leaking / malfunctioning and just aren't worth it? Others say they are great. I've tried to research as much as I can on the subject, but any feedback from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys
[YOYO] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:45 PM   #2
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [YOYO] View Post
Hey guys! So as the post title states, are TPMS sensors worth the hassle? Late last year I purchased a 2014 FR-S and this is my first vehicle with such sensors. This spring I plan on getting some tires installed on my Gram Lights 57DR (which currently come with some cool RAYS valves pre installed), and these will most likely be the only wheels that I will be running for the time being. Whether I move the sensors from the factory wheels to the new ones or get new sensors installed altogether, it will cost me extra. So either I pay up or deal with the TPMS warning light.

Could anyone chime in on their possibly, long standing experience with TPMS sensors? I hear they can have a tendency of leaking / malfunctioning and just aren't worth it? Others say they are great. I've tried to research as much as I can on the subject, but any feedback from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys
They are only there for emission laws believe it or not. reason being that low tire pressure = bad fuel economy so for all the idiots out there they have added yet another idiot light. If you really want just de-solder the TPMS LED and check your pressures regularly (as you should be doing anyways)
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
[YOYO] (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 12:52 PM   #3
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
as far as I know, the only thing TMPS sensors do, is turn on the light on your dash if presure is too low (26psi I think) or if signal is missing (rims without TPMS or faulty sensor). Why do people give this so much importance is beyond me. There is nothing wrong with not having the sensors on other than the light on the dashboard. If you are the kind of person who never ever checks anything in the car, this might be for you, otherwise, you will see a tire with lower presure the moment before you get into the car. Also, if you had your tires loose presure while traveling, you will feel it with the steering way before the light goes on.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
[YOYO] (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 12:55 PM   #4
[YOYO]
Amazing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
They are only there for emission laws believe it or not. reason being that low tire pressure = bad fuel economy so for all the idiots out there they have added yet another idiot light. If you really want just de-solder the TPMS LED and check your pressures regularly (as you should be doing anyways)
Yah, here in Ontario Canada, we don't even have those laws, so the sensors are just another annoying piece of nanny hardware that can potentially crap out over time, like so many other electronic bits and bobs on newer cars these days. As for checking tire pressures, that should be an obvious thing. I have an air compressor in my garage and just pump my tires with that.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:58 PM   #5
[YOYO]
Amazing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
as far as I know, the only thing TMPS sensors do, is turn on the light on your dash if presure is too low (26psi I think) or if signal is missing (rims without TPMS or faulty sensor). Why do people give this so much importance is beyond me. There is nothing wrong with not having the sensors on other than the light on the dashboard. If you are the kind of person who never ever checks anything in the car, this might be for you, otherwise, you will see a tire with lower presure the moment before you get into the car. Also, if you had your tires loose presure while traveling, you will feel it with the steering way before the light goes on.
Right, completely understand. I 'don't think' the light would bother me that much as I've driven around with worse lights only previous builds
Old 02-01-2016, 12:58 PM   #6
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by [YOYO] View Post
Yah, here in Ontario Canada, we don't even have those laws, so the sensors are just another annoying piece of nanny hardware that can potentially crap out over time, like so many other electronic bits and bobs on newer cars these days. As for checking tire pressures, that should be an obvious thing. I have an air compressor in my garage and just pump my tires with that.
Yeah I am with you on that. Thats why I love AB so much, hahaha noise laws out here are enforced more then running catless.
The Following User Says Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
[YOYO] (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 01:30 PM   #7
[YOYO]
Amazing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
Yeah I am with you on that. Thats why I love AB so much, hahaha noise laws out here are enforced more then running catless.
Exactly. I ran a DC Race header on my RSX for years, and with a KPro ECU and the recent change in Ontario emission laws / new OBD2 based test, it made it a breeze to pass. Mmmmm, fragrant gasoline fumes
The Following User Says Thank You to [YOYO] For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (02-01-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 08:57 AM   #8
avp1

Drives: Traded BRZ for Supra
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Yes they do. Good safety feature when you drive car hard. Just imagine tire blow up at 100 mph.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
avp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:19 AM   #9
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
How sensors can prevent tires blowing up? :/
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:21 AM   #10
Cockatoo
TALLY FT86

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram -- SBD Turbo --
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Waste of time... deal with the light and live a happy life
Cockatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:08 AM   #11
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by avp1 View Post
Yes they do. Good safety feature when you drive car hard. Just imagine tire blow up at 100 mph.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
they come on when your what 2 PSI low? thats not gona make your tire blow up. If you are a responsible car owner you will check your tires regularly. You will also feel a tire start to go low and if you cant you should not be going 100mph
Old 02-02-2016, 10:42 AM   #12
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Cover the light with a flex fuel gauge. Problem solved
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:51 AM   #13
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
In many domestic markets world wide millions of cars are sold for decades without any TPMS sensors. Including these toyobarus (not for decades of course ). No sudden statistical spike of blown tires due whatever reasons in those markets ever happened on cars without TPMS, including those that are raced. Checking periodically in some of fueling station visits also tire pressure, or noticing pressure issues visually or when driving works for most 99.99% as good minus annoyances and minus extra costs & TPMS system weight additions involved. Something like buzzer for unbuckled seatbelt has its merits. But TPMS has more cons then pros. One can use it if car is sold with it installed, but imho TPMS by far is not something that should be spent on to install later on.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:54 AM   #14
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
In many domestic markets world wide millions of cars are sold for decades without any TPMS sensors. Including these toyobarus (not for decades of course ). No sudden statistical spike of blown tires due whatever reasons in those markets ever happened on cars without TPMS, including those that are raced. Checking periodically in some of fueling station visits also tire pressure, or noticing pressure issues visually or when driving works for most 99.99% as good minus annoyances and minus extra costs & TPMS system weight additions involved. Something like buzzer for unbuckled seatbelt has its merits. But TPMS has more cons then pros. One can use it if car is sold with it installed, but imho TPMS by far is not something that should be spent on to install later on.
I think TPMS only exists so puerile ego don't pay attention to their cars(general populace) don't drive on low or flat tires. A low profile tire is ruined if you drive on it flat, even if only for a block or 2. I don't believe they were designed to prevent blowouts necessarily
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote