follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 12-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #29
pastuch

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by val_lixembeau View Post
Hmmm.. The performance and mission of the FR-S and Miata are pretty much the same, so I'd expect the pricing to be very similar.

I think the FR-S is going to be more desirable than the Civic and have more sports credibility, so it will be more expensive.

And IMO, the Genesis Coupe is one size class up. The new one sounds like it will be a stormer, but the original 2.0T is pretty slow for it's power.
Your argument relies on the fact that Canadian car pricing is based on value. IT'S NOT! The Scion will be dramatically less expensive than the Subaru and should be comparable to a Mustang or GC. The Miata is outrageously priced here. Honestly, you'd have to be crazy to buy a 2012 Civic SI over the base GC or Mustang. The Civic SI is slower than the base 2.0T Genesis Coupe. Come summer there will be a $25k 275hp, 270tq 2.0T Genesis Coupe to live up to.

Hyundai finds a way to not rip off Canadians, it's time for everyone else to follow suit.
pastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:33 AM   #30
Enemies

Drives: '13 SWP Sport-Tech (Limited)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I checked out the websites today and Scion seems relatively reasonable in their Canadian pricing compared to their American pricing. Subaru... not so much.

I prefer the BRZ with everything I've seen but I'm starting to feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

There are 3 Subaru dealerships within an hour of me. 1 just 5 minutes away.
There are 0 Scion dealerships anywhere close. I'd need to either purchase the car in Kamloops or go to Vancouver.

Subaru seems to gouge their Canadian purchasers. Scion seems reasonable.

I could perhaps buy the Subaru down south but it seems like it would be a hassle. I imagine the costs would pile on real quick. It would probably be worth it but after the taxes, paying the duty, getting it inspected, etc... is it really worth all the headaches? Not to mention having to pay for warranty work out of pocket before getting reimbursed. Also, I doubt I could even get it financed down south and I don't have $30,000 lying around to make a cash purchase.

Hmm, pipe dreams.
Enemies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:46 AM   #31
Saibot

Drives: 01 Toyota Corolla / Porsche 911 C2
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enemies View Post
I checked out the websites today and Scion seems relatively reasonable in their Canadian pricing compared to their American pricing. Subaru... not so much.

I prefer the BRZ with everything I've seen but I'm starting to feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

There are 3 Subaru dealerships within an hour of me. 1 just 5 minutes away.
There are 0 Scion dealerships anywhere close. I'd need to either purchase the car in Kamloops or go to Vancouver.

Subaru seems to gouge their Canadian purchasers. Scion seems reasonable.

I could perhaps buy the Subaru down south but it seems like it would be a hassle. I imagine the costs would pile on real quick. It would probably be worth it but after the taxes, paying the duty, getting it inspected, etc... is it really worth all the headaches? Not to mention having to pay for warranty work out of pocket before getting reimbursed. Also, I doubt I could even get it financed down south and I don't have $30,000 lying around to make a cash purchase.

Hmm, pipe dreams.
Not only that, but the subie warranty isnt valid up here. Scion however.. should be transferrable across the border just like toyota
Saibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #32
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastuch View Post
Your argument relies on the fact that Canadian car pricing is based on value. IT'S NOT! The Scion will be dramatically less expensive than the Subaru and should be comparable to a Mustang or GC. The Miata is outrageously priced here. Honestly, you'd have to be crazy to buy a 2012 Civic SI over the base GC or Mustang. The Civic SI is slower than the base 2.0T Genesis Coupe. Come summer there will be a $25k 275hp, 270tq 2.0T Genesis Coupe to live up to.

Hyundai finds a way to not rip off Canadians,
it's time for everyone else to follow suit.
Not true, compare how the GT package to the R spec in the US.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #33
Enemies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saibot View Post
Not only that, but the subie warranty isnt valid up here. Scion however.. should be transferrable across the border just like toyota
Well, Subaru US still pays for it. You just need to pay for the work and then submit your bill to Subaru US and they cut you a cheque. So, it's not like it's not valid. Just have a couple hoops you have to jump through.

Seems easier to go that route than to buy a Scion when there's no dealership anywhere close by and... yeah, I hate the thought of something going seriously wrong and having to figure out a way to get it to a dealership at least a couple hours away instead of phoning up BCAA and telling them I need a tow to the Subaru dealership 5 minutes away.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #34
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Well, Subaru US still pays for it. You just need to pay for the work and then submit your bill to Subaru US and they cut you a cheque. So, it's not like it's not valid. Just have a couple hoops you have to jump through.
They cut you a check for what repair would've cost in the US at US dealer rates. So if your Canadian dealer chooses to bill you at some ridiculous rate, Subaru will only pay for part of it.
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #35
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:

Seems easier to go that route than to buy a Scion when there's no dealership anywhere close by and... yeah, I hate the thought of something going seriously wrong and having to figure out a way to get it to a dealership at least a couple hours away instead of phoning up BCAA and telling them I need a tow to the Subaru dealership 5 minutes away.
Yea you don't get the same kind of coverage at all only way to is driving back to the US to get repairs done I believe

You should see if one of the Toyota dealerships around you is owned by the same guy that owns one of the Scion dealerships maybe you can buy it online and have them deliver it to the Toyota dealer? Worth a shot
Old 02-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #36
SCIONMONTREAL

Drives: TC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Here is a quick chart that compares the real numbers :

Camry LE USA - 22 500 / Camry LE CDN - 23700 = 1200$ difference
Corolla LE USA - 19 530 / Camry LE CDN - 20990 = 1360$ difference
(The Canadian LE comes with the sunroof and heated seats Std so I matched packages and options)
Scion TC USA - 19305 / CDN 20940 = 1635$ difference

this is without the currency conversion that reduces the difference a bit. Canada's 'Car park' is 10 times smaller than the US's do I expect the FR-S to be closer to 25 000$ CDN than to 29 000$
SCIONMONTREAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #37
Jehuty77

Drives: AE86
More then $25,000(before taxes) is too high for me.

Granted its a new car but you'd be competing against like 2 or 3 year old Z's and RX8's which would have more bang for their buck.

Scion Canada's pricing will make or break my purchase so here's hoping

Last edited by Jehuty77; 02-09-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Jehuty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #38
Enemies

I'd be happy if this car came out to less than that but there's no way I can see this car going for less than $25,000 CAD.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #39
Jehuty77

I mean it would be awesome if it was priced around 24,000 - 24,500 before taxes and such, even less and you've blown my mind.

But I agree with you though, much less then $25,000 is probably unlikely consdering the price will most definitly be higher then the US version which is probably also not far off $25,000.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #40
Want.FR-S

Drives: 4 Wheels Auto
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCIONMONTREAL View Post
Here is a quick chart that compares the real numbers :

Camry LE USA - 22 500 / Camry LE CDN - 23700 = 1200$ difference
Corolla LE USA - 19 530 / Camry LE CDN - 20990 = 1360$ difference
(The Canadian LE comes with the sunroof and heated seats Std so I matched packages and options)
Scion TC USA - 19305 / CDN 20940 = 1635$ difference

this is without the currency conversion that reduces the difference a bit. Canada's 'Car park' is 10 times smaller than the US's do I expect the FR-S to be closer to 25 000$ CDN than to 29 000$
So based on your expectation it will be less than 27K, but more than 25K CDN? With tax, freight, title and surcharge it would be over 30K in Canada then.
Want.FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #41
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehuty77 View Post
More then $25,000(before taxes) is too high for me.

Granted its a new car but you'd be competing against like 2 or 3 year old Z's and RX8's which would have more bang for their buck.

Scion Canada's pricing will make or break my purchase so here's hoping
a 2-3 year old FRS would drop in price significantly as well

it's about buying a new car and the perks that go along with it, number 1 being that you will absolute knowledge of what and how you ever did to the car.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #42
Jehuty77

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
a 2-3 year old FRS would drop in price significantly as well

it's about buying a new car and the perks that go along with it, number 1 being that you will absolute knowledge of what and how you ever did to the car.
Well thats debatable,

Thats not ALL its about, If your a younger guy(which is what scion targets) price is important to you.

If your 30+ in age and have yourself well established, then maybe price isnt AS important.