follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 04-05-2017, 09:12 PM   #253
arthur93

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is there any chance of this turbo kit fitting behind the stock crash beam? The land down under doesn't allow for any modification to the crash beam without it being certified by an engineer; and even then from what I have read it's nearly impossible. Will installing a thinner radiator such as Velox's one help?
arthur93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:16 AM   #254
johl

Drives: toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I also looked into this kit and I'm from sydney. In my opinion it would be best to only purchase the turbo manifold and possibly the dump pipe from this kit. Once your purchase hits the $900 You have to pay import tax. Source your own turbo and get an intercooler and custom make the intercooler piping to go around the radiator support instead of through it.

Then it would be street legal and also cost effective.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:04 AM   #255
arthur93

Quote:
Originally Posted by johl View Post
I also looked into this kit and I'm from sydney. In my opinion it would be best to only purchase the turbo manifold and possibly the dump pipe from this kit. Once your purchase hits the $900 You have to pay import tax. Source your own turbo and get an intercooler and custom make the intercooler piping to go around the radiator support instead of through it.

Then it would be street legal and also cost effective.

Yeah I totally get you point and I do agree with it (import tax is after AUD 1000 however) from my own research; could be wrong... I just really like how this kit has been put together and being able to purchase an entire kit that proven to work with great results. First time really modifying a car and just thinking of creating a custom kit makes me feel a bit iffy. I am sure that it's more nerves than anything but it's nice to see a kit working before I splurge thousands!!

I have research the cost of the same turbo (EFR7163) here is Australia and it definitely isn't cheap. Plus by the time you factor in the cost of a full exhaust system plus intercooler I'm pretty sure you would be approaching the cost of this kit; currently more of an assumption that actual calculation. Definitely not purchasing anything until later in the year so just the exchange rate could make or break it.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:06 AM   #256
johl

I completely agree. If only there was an authorised reseller in our country. There is only 1 other company I know of locally that even offers a twin scroll manifold. Imo the full race kit is the best out there
Old 04-06-2017, 09:10 PM   #257
arthur93

Potential group buy towards the end of the year maybe??
Old 04-07-2017, 06:28 AM   #258
johl

I won't commit to a group buy unless I'm 100% in but it's something I would love to do if we could get this kit made to be legal here in aus. In it's current form I personally don't think it is a good option for me. And I highly doubt it would be worth the time for full race to make a separate kit for us as we are quite a small market
Old 04-07-2017, 07:53 AM   #259
arthur93

Yeah the legality is a bit of an issue. Would be good to get some more interest in Australia. Even here the kit hasn't gotten too much attention. Quite surprising considering the quality. Would be interesting to see what the guys at full race or Velox have to say. Would love to find out if there is some way of it fitting behind the stock crash beam
Old 04-11-2017, 01:04 AM   #260
arthur93

Managed to get in contact with Eric from Velox and he confirmed there is no chance of the kit fitting behind the stock crash beam. May try and contact a few engineers in the Sydney region and see what they say on this kit.