follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 02-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #15
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Reminds me of this...

Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #16
Bob
Hattori Hanzo's steel

Drives: Audi B5 A4 1.8TQM, Kia Forte 5dr
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Old 02-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #17
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCIONMONTREAL View Post
Ruin is pretty poorly chosen phrasing, I know that there is a propensity here to see cars like they are sacred cows, especially from some brand-centric people.

But let's face it, even Tatsuya Tada said the car is meant to be screwed around with, if you want a car with no personality, buy a Corolla
Ruin is the perfect word for doing that to this car. It has nothing to do with brand-centricism. It has to do with the purpose of this car.

If you paid any attention at all to the media and opinions here and on other forums, you would understand that Tada was not talking about fucking gull-wing doors, sub-woofers and chop-top convertibles. There are xB's and tC's for that.

The whole point of this car was to bring excitement through driving dynamics back to Toyota. The fact that Scion is getting it here is because there is practically zero performance legitimacy for the brand and its sales are horrendous. They went drifting to appeal to that crowd, in car you can't actually drift with for crying out loud.

Scion's 'personality'/image in the more serious performance circles is that of the above-mentioned all-show and no go mods. In short, rice. There are very few exceptions, such as Dragon's track-day turbo tC on here.

Statements like yours are why there was the huge uproar from the performance community when it was announced that Scion was getting this car. The only saving grace Scion will have is that Subaru dealers like to abuse performance buyers on their cars' pricing.

Also, please clarify your magnesium wheels statement you made in the other thread.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #18
SCIONMONTREAL

Drives: TC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I boldened the answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Ruin is the perfect word for doing that to this car. It has nothing to do with brand-centricism. It has to do with the purpose of this car.

You are taking this way too seriously, wowza ! The purpose of this car like any car released by any brand, especially Scion is to make it your own / Are there very well know and ingenious ways to stiffen up a convertible for track use ? of course there is, Google is your friend

If you paid any attention at all to the media and opinions here and on other forums, you would understand that Tada was not talking about fucking gull-wing doors, sub-woofers and chop-top convertibles. There are xB's and tC's for that.

The arrogance of people who dismiss any car except the FR-S as remotely relevant in the Scion line up shows how some people here have overdosed on the FR-S Gatorade. Don't get me wrong I love the FR-S and what it stands for but I'm a big fan of the TC, IQ, XD and XB, I've seen people turn these cars into real track & show masterpieces and that's part of the Scion ownership experience, different pokes for different blokes. I'd actually love to see one of my customers intelligently do some chop work on an FR-S, from T-Top to full convertible, I think it would be trippy as fuck if done right

The whole point of this car was to bring excitement through driving dynamics back to Toyota. The fact that Scion is getting it here is because there is practically zero performance legitimacy for the brand and its sales are horrendous. They went drifting to appeal to that crowd, in car you can't actually drift with for crying out loud.

Scion's 'personality'/image in the more serious performance circles is that of the above-mentioned all-show and no go mods. In short, rice. There are very few exceptions, such as Dragon's track-day turbo tC on here.

Scion's personality in the performance circle ? Don't tell me you are part of those who think the only relevant car in the performance market is the Mustang or Genesis ! The problem is people who are under the impression that since the FR-S was announced it's all of a sudden the only relevant car in the universe, relax, it's ok, Scions are tuned galore and loved by a lot of people, and sure they have more a 'boutique' appeal to them, but it's all good, they're all great cars !

Statements like yours are why there was the huge uproar from the performance community when it was announced that Scion was getting this car. The only saving grace Scion will have is that Subaru dealers like to abuse performance buyers on their cars' pricing.

You seem to have access to alot of information on Subaru plans, don't hog the crystal ball, we could all use it ! If not, share the Valiums

Also, please clarify your magnesium wheels statement you made in the other thread.

Lexus has a line of F products that includes Magnesium Rims, as previously stated, Magnesium wheels being lite ( if brittle) it would be trippy to set F rims on the FR-S but it would be interesting to see if anything becomes available in 5 x 100, hope this helps as well !
SCIONMONTREAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #19
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
I saw a converted NSX in Burnaby a few years back. Made me very sad...
Was it red with a tan soft top? That is one ugly car I see it a lot as well

Quote:
Ruin is pretty poorly chosen phrasing, I know that there is a propensity here to see cars like they are sacred cows, especially from some brand-centric people.

But let's face it, even Tatsuya Tada said the car is meant to be screwed around with, if you want a car with no personality, buy a Corolla

Ruin is the prefect word.

Are there very well know and ingenious ways to stiffen up a convertible for track use ? of course there is

Yes! Lets spend money on getting a light weight car and then cut off the top add a bunch of weight to re-stregthen the car since we butcher it and now we have a heavy car with 200hp! Best idea ever!

Don't get me wrong I love the FR-S and what it stands for but I'm a big fan of the TC, IQ, XD and XB, I've seen people turn these cars into real track & show masterpieces and that's part of the Scion ownership experience, different pokes for different blokes. I'd actually love to see one of my customers intelligently do some chop work on an FR-S, from T-Top to full convertible, I think it would be trippy as fuck if done right

Don't get me wrong I don't dislike Scoin for that reason its that they embrace all this ricer show shit I don't care for, especially when looking at a performace car I would want it to drive well and not be a hard parker. Look at the commericals you see Tcs racing each other in a virtual world or even how the dealer promote Scion is

You seem to have access to alot of information on Subaru plans, don't hog the crystal ball, we could all use it ! If not, share the Valiums

Its called living in Canada we can see the pricing differences in how Subaru prices for the US and Canada. Don't need no crystal ball or attitude to figure that one out

Don't take this as hate towards you only a rebuttal to your remarks and honestly I wish Scoin never came to Canada much rather get a Toyota and get options I want rather than hope Scoin doesn't screw up the FRS
Old 02-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #20
Bob
Hattori Hanzo's steel

Drives: Audi B5 A4 1.8TQM, Kia Forte 5dr
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Old 02-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #21
Saibot

Drives: 01 Toyota Corolla / Porsche 911 C2
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Wait.. how is it ruining the car? being able to take off the roof and re-attach it..? Its like having two in one with no added weight.
Saibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #22
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
"Scion's personality in the performance circle ? Don't tell me you are part of those who think the only relevant car in the performance market is the Mustang or Genesis ! The problem is people who are under the impression that since the FR-S was announced it's all of a sudden the only relevant car in the universe, relax, it's ok, Scions are tuned galore and loved by a lot of people, and sure they have more a 'boutique' appeal to them, but it's all good, they're all great cars ! "

This statement here shows how absolutely clueless you are to the performance scene and the purpose of the FR-S.

The real legitimate performance scene is composed of a huge number of car guys that are in old performance cars. The reason is because there is nothing relevant new for them to buy. Your turn to google. Look at all the nice S13 and S14 240SXs, the FC and FD RX-7s ,the Mk3 and Mk4 Supras, the AW10 and SW20 MR-2s, even the JDM imported R32 and R33 Skylines. These aren't all rat-bagged shit boxes driven because they are cheap. A lot of them have as much money into them as the FR-S may cost. Care to guess what the collective image of Scion is in these circles?

The main reason we have these older cars is because there are no other options in a sensible price range. That is the purpose of the FR-S. You can take any car (From a Hyundai Accent to Cadillac Escalade) and humiliate it with lambo doors, neon, two-dozen flatscreens and pop-up DJ booths. But you can't take the same any-car and provide a legitimate performance base.

Because titanium.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #23
Abflug

Drives: MR2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

honestly, sure it could be done!

They for exampe do it for from 10K € http://www.baehr-cabrio.de/

EDIT: oh, you´re in a canada...

EDIT II: ... but wait, they even got do-it-yourself-kits!
Abflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #24
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saibot View Post
Wait.. how is it ruining the car? being able to take off the roof and re-attach it..? Its like having two in one with no added weight.
? Thats not how it works

Car not designed for no roof = unsafe at high speeds, crashes etc. Have to re-enforce the chassis before you can chop the top.

If you look at any couple then look at the convertible version you will see the weight will be higher and the top speed will be lower on the convertible. I would also expect that you would lose the air channeling that the solid roof has if you chop the top.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #25
SCIONMONTREAL

Quote:
"Scion's personality in the performance circle ? Don't tell me you are part of those who think the only relevant car in the performance market is the Mustang or Genesis ! The problem is people who are under the impression that since the FR-S was announced it's all of a sudden the only relevant car in the universe, relax, it's ok, Scions are tuned galore and loved by a lot of people, and sure they have more a 'boutique' appeal to them, but it's all good, they're all great cars ! "

This statement here shows how absolutely clueless you are to the performance scene and the purpose of the FR-S.

The real legitimate performance scene is composed of a huge number of car guys that are in old performance cars. The reason is because there is nothing relevant new for them to buy. Your turn to google. Look at all the nice S13 and S14 240SXs, the FC and FD RX-7s ,the Mk3 and Mk4 Supras, the AW10 and SW20 MR-2s, even the JDM imported R32 and R33 Skylines. These aren't all rat-bagged shit boxes driven because they are cheap. A lot of them have as much money into them as the FR-S may cost. Care to guess what the collective image of Scion is in these circles?

The main reason we have these older cars is because there are no other options in a sensible price range. That is the purpose of the FR-S. You can take any car (From a Hyundai Accent to Cadillac Escalade) and humiliate it with lambo doors, neon, two-dozen flatscreens and pop-up DJ booths. But you can't take the same any-car and provide a legitimate performance base.
So the fact I ask you to indicate you are not part of that scene makes me clueless god I love internet bullies, the best ones are the ones like you who are so full of empty cherry picking facts. Fantastic and entertaining ! But a bully nonetheless !

let me guess, you're one of those bananas who will try to get a JDM GT86 engine just to have something to swap

Sir ... I scoff at you !
Old 02-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #26
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
So the fact I ask you to indicate you are not part of that scene makes me clueless god I love internet bullies, the best ones are the ones like you who are so full of empty cherry picking facts. Fantastic and entertaining ! But a bully nonetheless !

let me guess, you're one of those bananas who will try to get a JDM GT86 engine just to have something to swap

Sir ... I scoff at you !

(This is for the dude with the pop-corn. Heh...)

The fact that you think that Mustangs and Genesis are the scene make you clueless.

How does it work for you?

Read 'The Scion Dealer Guide to the Forums'?

Section One: What to do when confronted by Hostile Forum Members.

Step 1: Tell them to Google facts. Do not do any research as to whether or not they already know what they are talking about. This makes them look stupid, and you smart. It is irrelevant if in other sections the member may have been involved in discussions involving Young's Modulus of materials and how the related changes in rigidity can dynamically affect suspension geometry and handling let alone cutting off the damn roof.

Example:

Quote:
You are taking this way too seriously, wowza ! The purpose of this car like any car released by any brand, especially Scion is to make it your own / Are there very well know and ingenious ways to stiffen up a convertible for track use ? of course there is, Google is your friend
Step 2: They probably only care about the Scion FR-S. Remind them that the FR-S is only one of many excellent easy to customize Scion automobiles. It is irrelevant that a tremendous amount of people that are attracted to the FR-S are educated about this car, and that Tada's goal was for excellent driving dynamics in a legitimate sportscar, something that is woefully lacking in the rest of Scion's lineup, which these people know are nothing but re-badged Toyota's that are trying to be gussied up as 'hip'.

Example:

Quote:
The arrogance of people who dismiss any car except the FR-S as remotely relevant in the Scion line up shows how some people here have overdosed on the FR-S Gatorade. Don't get me wrong I love the FR-S and what it stands for but I'm a big fan of the TC, IQ, XD and XB, I've seen people turn these cars into real track & show masterpieces and that's part of the Scion ownership experience, different pokes for different blokes. I'd actually love to see one of my customers intelligently do some chop work on an FR-S, from T-Top to full convertible, I think it would be trippy as fuck if done right
Step 3: They are probably going to point out the price to performance competitiveness of the Mustang or Genesis Coupe. Preemptively imply that they are fanbois whether it is related to the discussion or not. Again disregard any previous posting the member may have made that indicates the absolute opposite. Also when talking about performance legitimacy, it is best to pretend the Scion Rockstar drift tC never happened.

Tip of the day: Scion's aren't 'unpopular', they're 'boutique'!

Example:

Quote:
Scion's personality in the performance circle ? Don't tell me you are part of those who think the only relevant car in the performance market is the Mustang or Genesis ! The problem is people who are under the impression that since the FR-S was announced it's all of a sudden the only relevant car in the universe, relax, it's ok, Scions are tuned galore and loved by a lot of people, and sure they have more a 'boutique' appeal to them, but it's all good, they're all great cars !
Step 4: They are bound to make a currently un-provable speculative statement. Jump on that to make them look silly, and bring doubt on everything else they have said, even if based on strong past behaviour. Disregard any times in the past where you have made statements regarding similar things.

Example:

Quote:
Quote:
it's not unusual here in Quebec to have people call from up north for a car ( 4Runner and Co ) due to the rarity of some cars on the market, I don't know for Subaru because Subaru has a very weirdly tentative relationship with people in Canada, you'd think that in a country covered in Snow for a good 4 - 5 months a year they'd push for a more aggressive pricing strategy to dominate this market but apparently no ...

The thing that makes me laugh is guys like Ed Reilly in NH, they have actively hired french speaking people to sell more Subarus to Quebecois !
Step 5: Don't be completely negative.

Example:

Quote:
Lexus has a line of F products that includes Magnesium Rims, as previously stated, Magnesium wheels being lite ( if brittle) it would be trippy to set F rims on the FR-S but it would be interesting to see if anything becomes available in 5 x 100, hope this helps as well !
(Thanks for clarifying that there are magnesium wheels despite not being available in a pattern that will fit the FR-S.)

Step 6: The Hostile Forum Member (HFM) should have backed down now, and be on his way to your dealership buy an optioned-out xB. If that is not the case you will need to position yourself (the dealer who is going to try to maximize the amount of money sucked out of potential FR-S buyers) as a victim by referring to the HFM as an internet bully. This will further go towards discrediting any information he has posted. Furthermore make an effort to separate him from the community by identifying him as some sort of elitist (check his avatar and info for tips). JDM engine swappers are a suitable elite community. Disregard the fact that JDM engine swaps are due to different (sometimes vastly) performance specs than North American motors.

Example:

Quote:

Sir ... I scoff at you !
I scoff back!
Cheers!

In all seriousness you are in a position to work to further understand what some of us new-to-Scion buyers are like. We are not going to Scion to be 'sold-to' we are going to 'buy-from'. Understand the difference? We know exactly what we want from this car, and don't want to deal with some douche salesguy telling us how cool it will be to rice out our driver's cars. We don't want to be associated with that AT ALL. If FR-S's start getting the same rep as xB's in my local enthusiast community, well the Valium I'm on better be good because I'll need it buying an over-priced BRZ. And I'm not the only potential FR-S/BRZ buyer that thinks that way.

The old way of the 'scene'-driven and dealer-installed, high-margin 'tuning accessories' is done. It's not going to fly with who this car was designed and engineered for.

PS: I would love a National meet in Montreal. Circuit time (if possible) and the best strippers in Canada (so I've heard...).

Because titanium.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #27
SCIONMONTREAL

Quote:
(This is for the dude with the pop-corn. Heh...)

The fact that you think that Mustangs and Genesis are the scene make you clueless.

How does it work for you?

Read 'The Scion Dealer Guide to the Forums'?

Section One: What to do when confronted by Hostile Forum Members.

Step 1: Tell them to Google facts. Do not do any research as to whether or not they already know what they are talking about. This makes them look stupid, and you smart. It is irrelevant if in other sections the member may have been involved in discussions involving Young's Modulus of materials and how the related changes in rigidity can dynamically affect suspension geometry and handling let alone cutting off the damn roof.

Example:

Step 2: They probably only care about the Scion FR-S. Remind them that the FR-S is only one of many excellent easy to customize Scion automobiles. It is irrelevant that a tremendous amount of people that are attracted to the FR-S are educated about this car, and that Tada's goal was for excellent driving dynamics in a legitimate sportscar, something that is woefully lacking in the rest of Scion's lineup, which these people know are nothing but re-badged Toyota's that are trying to be gussied up as 'hip'.

Example:

Step 3: They are probably going to point out the price to performance competitiveness of the Mustang or Genesis Coupe. Preemptively imply that they are fanbois whether it is related to the discussion or not. Again disregard any previous posting the member may have made that indicates the absolute opposite. Also when talking about performance legitimacy, it is best to pretend the Scion Rockstar drift tC never happened.

Tip of the day: Scion's aren't 'unpopular', they're 'boutique'!

Example:

Step 4: They are bound to make a currently un-provable speculative statement. Jump on that to make them look silly, and bring doubt on everything else they have said, even if based on strong past behaviour. Disregard any times in the past where you have made statements regarding similar things.

Example:

Step 5: Don't be completely negative.

Example:

(Thanks for clarifying that there are magnesium wheels despite not being available in a pattern that will fit the FR-S.)

Step 6: The Hostile Forum Member (HFM) should have backed down now, and be on his way to your dealership buy an optioned-out xB. If that is not the case you will need to position yourself (the dealer who is going to try to maximize the amount of money sucked out of potential FR-S buyers) as a victim by referring to the HFM as an internet bully. This will further go towards discrediting any information he has posted. Furthermore make an effort to separate him from the community by identifying him as some sort of elitist (check his avatar and info for tips). JDM engine swappers are a suitable elite community. Disregard the fact that JDM engine swaps are due to different (sometimes vastly) performance specs than North American motors.

Example:

I scoff back!
Cheers!

In all seriousness you are in a position to work to further understand what some of us new-to-Scion buyers are like. We are not going to Scion to be 'sold-to' we are going to 'buy-from'. Understand the difference? We know exactly what we want from this car, and don't want to deal with some douche salesguy telling us how cool it will be to rice out our driver's cars. We don't want to be associated with that AT ALL. If FR-S's start getting the same rep as xB's in my local enthusiast community, well the Valium I'm on better be good because I'll need it buying an over-priced BRZ. And I'm not the only potential FR-S/BRZ buyer that thinks that way.

The old way of the 'scene'-driven and dealer-installed, high-margin 'tuning accessories' is done. It's not going to fly with who this car was designed and engineered for.

PS: I would love a National meet in Montreal. Circuit time (if possible) and the best strippers in Canada (so I've heard...).
The prettiest strippers, which is why I'm all for a topless FR-S