follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 07-22-2023, 04:09 PM   #11271
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yeah
The weather is a little warmer than usual. It's 99 degrees here right now. I'm waiting for the pre-rain so I can mow the lawn. At least we're a little more used to the heat than most. And it's almost always cooler in the morning. By about 11:00 I don't even want to go outside. But there's that window of opportunity in the afternoon before and after the storms to get things done. At least that's the way it works here on the east coast.
Good luck on your throttle body problem. I'll bet eve4rything is fine and is just an anomaly of some sort.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 12:25 PM   #11272
Qwimby1

Drives: 14 FRS Monogram, 05 Mazdasped Miata
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
been driving it for a couple days with the system switched on, but the deep cycles don't seem to have any punch. With the engine off they'll spin the compressor for a couple seconds and that's it. I have two ETX16L Big Crank batteries that are only 13 months old so shouldn't be dead by now. Not sure how to proceed. I can isolate them and charge them separately but I want to talk to Battery Mart about it first.
Qwimby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 01:29 PM   #11273
WNDSRFR

Maybe you should go by Autozone or one of the parts stores that do free battery load tests and test them just to make sure. It's funny you mention it because I just replaced my starter battery. The new one spins the starter so fast I'm not used to it. The old battery was close to dead.

It was only 11 months old. They usually last about 2 years. Maybe the excessive heat?
Old 07-29-2023, 02:35 PM   #11274
Qwimby1

I'm pretty sure the deep cycles are shot. Battery Mart told me that if they get a charge of more than 14.1 V they'll burn themselves up internally. There were working fine until I switched the system off and drove it for a few days when I noticed that I was only getting 80% throttle. I didn't think to check the AFR with my OBD, but when I did it was 11.5 with my foot on the floor so I'm not concerned about a lean mixture. When I switched the system on it apparently overcharged them. I'm just going to get a pair of new ones and be done with it. Next thing is to figure out how in heck I consistently get 80.5% absolute throttle and no more. I don't think a dirty throttle body would consistently produce 80.5 absolute throttle position, when I get around to cleaning it I guess I'll know more.
Old 07-30-2023, 11:46 AM   #11275
WNDSRFR

https://www.amazon.com/ExpertPower-Y...ef_=ast_sto_dp

12V, 24Ah, 340CCA, $60.99

Almost exact match for the EXT16L. Just a little more powerful and a lot cheaper.
The Following User Says Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
Qwimby1 (07-30-2023)
Old 07-30-2023, 02:17 PM   #11276
Qwimby1

A LOT cheaper. Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-15-2023, 10:13 AM   #11277
WNDSRFR

It's getting to be about time for me to replace my batteries again. I'm thinking about switching to lithium.
In my research I found this:
https://duryeatechnologies.com/durye...-supercharger/

Looks like another player in the game.
The Following User Says Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
Target70 (09-16-2023)
Old 09-23-2023, 04:53 PM   #11278
Qwimby1

Mine is working again, and as usual it was batteries. But strange stuff is happening. It started when my OBD, which had reliably been predicting 100% throttle when I used it, started showing max 80.8. I was concerned about mixture so I turned off the ESC and drove maybe a few hundred miles without it. I figured out that mixture was OK and turned the ESC back on but then it wouldn't work. when I pulled out the deep cycle batteries they were both at 6.7 V. With new ones in there it's working fine.

Battery Mart told me that apparently the system overcharged the batteries when they got pulled way down. They said if they get more than 14.1 V charge they'll cook themselves internally.

So I've got ESC again, but I'm still getting a weird throttle reading. The OBD read 100% throttle correctly before, but now it's reading max 80.8. I pulled the compressor off and cleaned the throttle body, and the butterfly was wide open with the throttle on the floor. But OBD still shows 80.8% throttle. Either the OBD has gone bad, or something else is still affecting my throttle with the butterfly wide open. I wonder what else could be telling it not to produce WOT. I think it would have to be the TPS, TBS or MAF. At least that's all I can think of.

Based on my experience I would not advise driving the unit with the ESC turned off. I also think I'll keep it on a trickle charger when it sits in the garage for more than a day or so. I don't think that could hurt anything.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Qwimby1 For This Useful Post:
Gums (09-24-2023), Target70 (09-24-2023)
Old 09-24-2023, 08:18 AM   #11279
WNDSRFR

It's almost always the batteries.
As far as your throttle problem goes, I think it's just a bad reading. I wouldn't worry about it.
I corresponded with Jelke@Torqamp and asked about the possibility of building me a 24 volt lithium polymer power box for the Phantom. He said it would be impractical to build a single unit so I researched building my own.
Currently I have 27aH@24 volts with AGM batteries. They need to be replaced about every two years at a cost of $130.00 for total replacement.
27aH@24 volts with LIPO batteries would cost about $600 minimum. And I would need to build a new special LIPO charger that would cost who knows how much. Jelke said the LIPO's have lasted 4 years.
I think I'll stick with the AGM's.
Old 09-25-2023, 08:21 PM   #11280
Qwimby1

I talked to the folks who make the OBD reader, and they told me that it's telling me what the ECU is telling it. It's a little hard to tell but I do think I'm not getting full throttle. I'm thinking of switching back from 93 octane to E85, and that'll give me a chance to reflash it. That might tell me something.
Old 09-25-2023, 09:56 PM   #11281
BlOody_BoOger

Drives: Hot lava FRS Monogram Charizard
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Get in touch with @AlexLTDLX on youtube he's built his own electric supercharger which is far more powerful than the phantom and the torqamp. He also has a forum where it's all about electric superchargers. He might be able to help you build a battery or at least you can get some good information in his videos.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
BlOody_BoOger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlOody_BoOger For This Useful Post:
Qwimby1 (09-26-2023), WNDSRFR (09-26-2023)
Old 09-26-2023, 03:12 PM   #11282
Qwimby1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlOody_BoOger View Post
Get in touch with @AlexLTDLX on youtube he's built his own electric supercharger which is far more powerful than the phantom and the torqamp. He also has a forum where it's all about electric superchargers. He might be able to help you build a battery or at least you can get some good information in his videos.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
thanks, that's good input. I looked at his site. One reason I like the ESC is that the build date on mine is January 2014. I'm not convinced that they got all the weaknesses out of that motor by that time, so I like the idea of no more than 5 pounds boost. Of course I could do that with a conventional SC but it would cost a lot more and the ESC is pretty reasonable and easy to install. So far I've been quite happy with it.
Old 10-01-2023, 02:10 PM   #11283
WNDSRFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwimby1 View Post
Mine is working again, and as usual it was batteries. But strange stuff is happening. It started when my OBD, which had reliably been predicting 100% throttle when I used it, started showing max 80.8. I was concerned about mixture so I turned off the ESC and drove maybe a few hundred miles without it. I figured out that mixture was OK and turned the ESC back on but then it wouldn't work. when I pulled out the deep cycle batteries they were both at 6.7 V. With new ones in there it's working fine.

Battery Mart told me that apparently the system overcharged the batteries when they got pulled way down. They said if they get more than 14.1 V charge they'll cook themselves internally.

So I've got ESC again, but I'm still getting a weird throttle reading. The OBD read 100% throttle correctly before, but now it's reading max 80.8. I pulled the compressor off and cleaned the throttle body, and the butterfly was wide open with the throttle on the floor. But OBD still shows 80.8% throttle. Either the OBD has gone bad, or something else is still affecting my throttle with the butterfly wide open. I wonder what else could be telling it not to produce WOT. I think it would have to be the TPS, TBS or MAF. At least that's all I can think of.

Based on my experience I would not advise driving the unit with the ESC turned off. I also think I'll keep it on a trickle charger when it sits in the garage for more than a day or so. I don't think that could hurt anything.
I found this article about charging AGM batteries.
https://www.interstatebatteries.com/...an-agm-battery
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
Qwimby1 (10-02-2023), Target70 (10-02-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 12:39 PM   #11284
Qwimby1

Really good input. Thanks.

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive