follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-04-2018, 09:23 AM   #57
Barefootdan

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportPer4mance_ View Post
Oh, awesome! I think the only vendor that sells them in Melbourne are HARROP, so if I go for them, will it be possible to just contact you guys in regards with the tuning process etc. I don't have an OFT or anything haha, so I'm guessing I'll need to get one if I'm getting an overseas tune from you guys?

Also, how does the cs400 compare to the PSR/TOMEI UEL? As someone who has only run stock headers & is pretty much relying on info available online, I'm quite inexperienced with this kinda stuff
You’ll need an Ecutek cable to get a tune from them

Here’s a graph of a gruppe-s uel header run 12 and Tomei is run 11 if I recall correctly. These were 92 oct.

Last edited by Barefootdan; 01-04-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Barefootdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:10 PM   #58
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
This is a more recent tune from the same guy:
That's more like it! I had a feeling Abbey would get better results as they got more experience with the header. That's a fantastic curve!
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:13 PM   #59
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Oh, awesome! I think the only vendor that sells them in Melbourne are HARROP, so if I go for them, will it be possible to just contact you guys in regards with the tuning process etc. I don't have an OFT or anything haha, so I'm guessing I'll need to get one if I'm getting an overseas tune from you guys?

Also, how does the cs400 compare to the PSR/TOMEI UEL? As someone who has only run stock headers & is pretty much relying on info available online, I'm quite inexperienced with this kinda stuff
Absolutely. Shipping an Ecutek cable and dongle shouldn't be bad at all, since it's a pretty small package.

Included with your tune, will be revisions (you'll be given instructions and asked to send in logs via e-mail) to individualize the tune to your specific engine, as every engine has minor variation.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:58 PM   #60
ImportPer4mance_

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefootdan View Post
You’ll need an Ecutek cable to get a tune from them

Here’s a graph of a gruppe-s uel header run 12 and Tomei is run 11 if I recall correctly. These were 92 oct.

Oh awesome! Thanks man. That's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. The Gruppe-S is the equivalent to the PSR here in Australia. Seems it makes a little more top end power than the ACE at the expense of torque at the low-mid range
ImportPer4mance_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:36 PM   #61
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
ImportPer4mance: you really are going to compare gains from different dynos charts and base purchase choice on that? :/
At very least try finding charts with stock-unmodified-with-stock-ecu-tune baseline to compare relatively to.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
cjd (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 11:05 PM   #62
ImportPer4mance_

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
ImportPer4mance: you really are going to compare gains from different dynos charts and base purchase choice on that? :/
At very least try finding charts with stock-unmodified-with-stock-ecu-tune baseline to compare relatively to.
That's exactly what I'm going to do. Relying on different dyno charts without a baseline stock car is useless haha, I just wanted to see something for the 400. Only issue is that dyno's from members (especially those from Australia) who have the CS400 are pretty scarce, there really aren't many to be found around.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:34 PM   #63
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Try searching threads here related to headers you are interested in. Try finding dyno charts with them, of course preferably ones with also stock baseline on. "stock car on this dyno usually is ###hp max" is a bit vague and tells just very small bit of story. Also don't mistake "completely stock" baselines, with "stock, but ecu (or just parts of mods)" baselines. Remember also, that to make look variations better, some charts display data with cut lower part and also may have less "smoothing"/"averaging". And don't look just for max numbers. One rarely is at very redline for long periods of time, usually it's just seconds before gear switch. Something like "large area under curve" (btw well attributable to ace's headers) often says much better on overall performance then just slightly higher max numbers, as that "area" means more performance gains across much wider rpm range, especially very important low-mid rpm range, which is mostly used when daily driving, which is what dual-use cars see 99% of mileage. Also pay attention in what gear dyno run is done. I'd look at: 1) gains over stock in "%" at eg. 3-4-5-6-7K rpm, 2) look at shape of curve (eg. if getting rid of torque dip matters to me, or if i care more about low-mid rpm gains over just short performance spike at very top).

Every dyno reads different. It reads different even in different ambient temperatures/air pressure/height above sea level. And different countries may have different quality fuel. And there are variations between even completely stock cars. Try eliminating as much variables as possible, if you want to at least roughly compare different dyno charts. Having stock baseline that you somewhat can expect to be similar is about only thing that at least remotely/roughly/aproximately lets do that. Check relative % gains over it, never absolute numbers. Or you'll just be searching not for part performing best, but rather for dyno that is calibrated to read highest, as you did with that linked chart. Completely wrong to choose by that.

Last edited by churchx; 01-04-2018 at 11:48 PM.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:07 AM   #64
ImportPer4mance_

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Try searching threads here related to headers you are interested in. Try finding dyno charts with them, of course preferably ones with also stock baseline on. "stock car on this dyno usually is ###hp max" is a bit vague and tells just very small bit of story. Also don't mistake "completely stock" baselines, with "stock, but ecu (or just parts of mods)" baselines. Remember also, that to make look variations better, some charts display data with cut lower part and also may have less "smoothing"/"averaging". And don't look just for max numbers. One rarely is at very redline for long periods of time, usually it's just seconds before gear switch. Something like "large area under curve" (btw well attributable to ace's headers) often says much better on overall performance then just slightly higher max numbers, as that "area" means more performance gains across much wider rpm range, especially very important low-mid rpm range, which is mostly used when daily driving, which is what dual-use cars see 99% of mileage. Also pay attention in what gear dyno run is done. I'd look at: 1) gains over stock in "%" at eg. 3-4-5-6-7K rpm, 2) look at shape of curve (eg. if getting rid of torque dip matters to me, or if i care more about low-mid rpm gains over just short performance spike at very top).

Every dyno reads different. It reads different even in different ambient temperatures/air pressure/height above sea level. And different countries may have different quality fuel. And there are variations between even completely stock cars. Try eliminating as much variables as possible, if you want to at least roughly compare different dyno charts. Having stock baseline that you somewhat can expect to be similar is about only thing that at least remotely/roughly/aproximately lets do that. Check relative % gains over it, never absolute numbers. Or you'll just be searching not for part performing best, but rather for dyno that is calibrated to read highest, as you did with that linked chart. Completely wrong to choose by that.
Thanks mate! Will do that. I think I need to have 10 posts before I can properly usr the "thankyou" post function hahaha, so this will have to suffice

Yeah the fuel quality is a reason I wanted to see Australian dyno's specifically, as our 98 is not as good as USA 92/93, hence I don't expect the gains on a 98 tune to be as big. I managed to find one dyno from an aussie (usng a BRZEdit tune), hopefully some other aussies can post up some stuff if they have any! It's a really expensive product so I want to make sure I make the right decision haha, I only wanna buy headers once.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:21 PM   #65
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh, that's much better! Is that with a full exhaust or just the cs400 bolted on with the rest of the exhaust stock?

Thanks!!
Forgot to add it's a Cobra HFC and the manifold, rest of the system is stock AFAIK.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:34 PM   #66
triethyl

Drives: 2013 BRZ (DGM)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm looking pretty closely at the CS400 since I think it would be more suited to my driving (mostly DD, some AX) than the A350 but the lack of solid dyno comparisons between the two has me a little cautious. Has anyone got or seen any more charts than what are in this thread? I've heard pretty much nothing but positive anecdotes, but I'm a numbers guy, especially when it comes to dropping ~$1500 on a chunk of hardware.

I guess also on the same thread - exhaust note. I really like what I've heard of the A350 with the rest of the system stock, but outside of a few rough youtubes I haven't heard much out of the CS400. Can anyone who has heard both comment on if they're similar or substantially different? Thanks!
triethyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:03 PM   #67
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,569 Times in 2,921 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Bumping for my dyno I did this morning
CS400, HKS R-Spec high flow cat frontpipe, oem midpipe, TRD muffler; HKS intake duct and drop in filter. I was a little disappointed in the output, but still, good to know what it's putting down!

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:29 PM   #68
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,254 Times in 7,347 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
I was a little disappointed in the output, but still, good to know what it's putting down!
Don't be. Dyno's read so different, for all you know your car was only putting down 150whp on that dyno stock. Without a baseline and being able to look at the difference between the two all you are really looking at is the curve. I'd kill for a torque curve that looks like that. Mine has the grand canyon in it untill 4k.
CSG Mike (06-26-2020), new2subaru (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 01:50 PM   #69
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,569 Times in 2,921 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Don't be. Dyno's read so different, for all you know your car was only putting down 150whp on that dyno stock. Without a baseline and being able to look at the difference between the two all you are really looking at is the curve. I'd kill for a torque curve that looks like that. Mine has the grand canyon in it untill 4k.
That was my assumption about the baseline. Still, the flatness of the torque curve is very noticeable during driving. It's insane.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (06-26-2020), new2subaru (06-26-2020), NoHaveMSG (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 05:06 PM   #70
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Isn't the CS 400 discontinued in favour of 350 for RHD?
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote