follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-21-2018, 02:23 PM   #547
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0thing View Post
@ermax as in regular shop manual for camshaft removal? it still shows removal of cam sub-assembly first, then caps
The cam is bolted to the subassembly not the head. If you unbolted the subassembly then you wouldn't need to unbolt the cam caps. I agree with Tcoat, we need the actual instructions because it seems no one actually understands how this engine fits together.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:41 PM   #548
Syche

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S 6A
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I guess I dodge a bullet on this one guys LOL

22R
Syche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 03:19 PM   #549
n0thing

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
The cam is bolted to the subassembly not the head. If you unbolted the subassembly then you wouldn't need to unbolt the cam caps. I agree with Tcoat, we need the actual instructions because it seems no one actually understands how this engine fits together.
Yes, if you unbolt the cam subassembly from the head, the cams come up together as well. But you'll need to clean and reseal the cam subassembly to the head during installation. Perhaps that's a step they wanted to avoid?
n0thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 08:06 AM   #550
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0thing View Post
Yes, if you unbolt the cam subassembly from the head, the cams come up together as well. But you'll need to clean and reseal the cam subassembly to the head during installation. Perhaps that's a step they wanted to avoid?

I know what the original service manual says. I am trying to understand what the recall instructions are asking for.

Do the “new” instructions ask for A or B:
A: remove the cam caps and leave the subassembly bolted to the head.
B: unbolt the subassembly from the head

As I said before, option A would save hours of time because it avoids most of the packing seal but risks head warping. Option B is what the original manual tells you to do.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:46 AM   #551
n0thing

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
recall instructions ask for A
n0thing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to n0thing For This Useful Post:
ermax (12-22-2018), RallySport (12-31-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 11:08 AM   #552
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,943 Times in 1,260 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Some insider information. In Japan the work will not be done at the dealers place as in normal recalls, but in 8 service factory centers nationwide (2 places in Gunma prefecture, Tokyo, Iwate, Tochigi, Aichi, Shiga, Ehime ). The recalled vehicles will be transported from the dealer to the service factories for the work. Therefore it'll cost about one week per vehicle.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 12:43 PM   #553
Muaddib
Mentat

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Some insider information. In Japan the work will not be done at the dealers place as in normal recalls, but in 8 service factory centers nationwide (2 places in Gunma prefecture, Tokyo, Iwate, Tochigi, Aichi, Shiga, Ehime ). The recalled vehicles will be transported from the dealer to the service factories for the work. Therefore it'll cost about one week per vehicle.
I don't think we will get that kind of service in North America.
Muaddib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 01:32 PM   #554
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,084 Times in 2,041 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib View Post
I don't think we will get that kind of service in North America.
You'd want them to transport your vehicle on a carrier to a facility and then back to you after doing the recall work? I say no thanks, I'll keep it close to me where I can be assured dopes other than the ones close to me aren't handling it. Much easier to go after someone for unsavory practice in person than remotely if it came to that
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 03:18 PM   #555
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Must be planning to go out the bottom rather than the top. I saw someone say they will be recharging the AC but if you go out the bottom I hardly see a need to evacuate there AC. Who knows.
I don't think I've ever opened up an AC system to pull a subaru engine. I just pull the compressor aside, if there's not enough slack in the lines to just put it on the strut tower, it's proper to just hook it out of the way under the hood with a bungee cord.

About the cam caps vs carrier housing:

The service manual indicates

Quote:
37. REMOVE CAMSHAFT HOUSING SUB-ASSEMBLY RH

NOTICE:

Do not remove the intake and exhaust camshafts first as it may cause a deformation of the cylinder head sub-assembly.
Quote:
41. REMOVE CAMSHAFT HOUSING SUB-ASSEMBLY LH

NOTICE:

Do not remove the intake and exhaust camshafts first as it may cause a deformation of the camshaft housing sub-assembly LH.
My issues with this is:

- It's already contradicting itself.
- A cylinder head stands little chance of getting warped by the flimsy lower cam housing should the upper housing the removed in place: the head is still bolted to the block
- The upper camshaft housing will undergo the same stress, should it be separated on or away from the engine: I'll flop around just as much.
- The lower camshaft housing has more chance of remaining straight if it stays bolted to the already flat and stiff cylinder head that's already bolted to the flat and stiff crankcase.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:00 AM   #556
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post
I don't think I've ever opened up an AC system to pull a subaru engine. I just pull the compressor aside, if there's not enough slack in the lines to just put it on the strut tower, it's proper to just hook it out of the way under the hood with a bungee cord.
I agree on most cars but on the Twins the lines have to be very severely bent to clear the engine when going out the top. I was able to pull it off and so have many others but if I was a dealer I would avoid the risk of destroying the lines. The manual calls for evacuating the AC and I'm sure that is how they would do it.

Quote:
- It's already contradicting itself.
I agree with you on this point. The wording is a little confusing. I think they were talking about the heads though. My logic is that there is no such thing as a "cylinder head sub-assembly" on this car. There is a head and a "camshaft" housing sub-assembly.

Quote:
- A cylinder head stands little chance of getting warped by the flimsy lower cam housing should the upper housing the removed in place: the head is still bolted to the block
It isn't the flimsy subassembly that warps heads, it's the valve springs that warp the heads. I don't think it would be an issue unbolting caps first if a correct sequence was laid out by the engineers. This just isn't the way they originally intended it to be done.

Quote:
- The upper camshaft housing will undergo the same stress, should it be separated on or away from the engine: I'll flop around just as much.
No it doesn't because the springs are not in the picture once the subassembly is removed.

Last edited by ermax; 12-26-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:06 AM   #557
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
You'd want them to transport your vehicle on a carrier to a facility and then back to you after doing the recall work? I say no thanks, I'll keep it close to me where I can be assured dopes other than the ones close to me aren't handling it. Much easier to go after someone for unsavory practice in person than remotely if it came to that
Cars are safely transported all the time. I'd rather have my car transported to a team of guys that are dedicated to this specific task and know they did it right. I'm not saying the local dealer would mess it up but I think the odds would be better with a dedicated team.
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-26-2018)
Old 12-26-2018, 08:37 AM   #558
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

It isn't the flimsy subassembly that warps heads, it's the valve springs that warp the heads. I don't think it would be an issue unbolting caps first if a correct sequence was laid out by the engineers. This just isn't the way they originally intended it to be done.

No it doesn't because the springs are not in the picture once the subassembly is removed.

Since it's 2 cylinders per bank, there's a "zero lift range" where the valve springs are completely unloaded, it's easy to have the whole valvetrain unstressed for disassembly on the engine.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:38 AM   #559
ermax

Quote:
Since it's 2 cylinders per bank, there's a "zero lift range" where the valve springs are completely unloaded, it's easy to have the whole valvetrain unstressed for disassembly on the engine.
That's a great point!
Old 12-26-2018, 09:36 AM   #560
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I really doubt they're unloaded at any point in time. That would make for a very rattly valvetrain.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote