follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-08-2017, 12:27 AM   #3305
RJasonKlein

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplink View Post
Already did, they are on the way with the suspension. They also assemble everything for you ahead of time so .

My only concern is they (Vorshlag) specifically warn about NVH with the rear mounts on a primarily daily driven car. Worst case I'll go back to stock uppers if they are that noisy.
Good for you - I think you'll be happy with them. I also run their rear top shock mounts and haven't found the NVH levels to be unbearable in any way, but you may have a different experience. I'm probably a little more tolerant than most, because my car has spherical joints at all suspension pickup points - my guess is that you'll be fine.
RJasonKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RJasonKlein For This Useful Post:
Uplink (07-10-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 10:39 AM   #3306
jmark

Drives: '97 NSX-T, '18 Type R
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
BRZ......

Got it on Friday.

- Andrew
B6 & RCE Yellows?
jmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:51 PM   #3307
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmark View Post
B6 & RCE Yellows?
That's the plan for the rest of this year...might try something new this winter. I'm traveling a lot for the next few weeks so I need to find time to actually get parts on the car. Also I need to make a decision on wheels...

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:23 PM   #3308
n0thing

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
upgrading sway bar stiffens and induces under/oversteer at one end of the vehicle. but if you upgrade both the front and rear sway bars that yield the same stiffness increase over stock (say +100%), will the under/oversteer characteristic remain unchanged? will total grip remain unchanged? only body roll will be decreased?
n0thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:44 AM   #3309
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0thing View Post
upgrading sway bar stiffens and induces under/oversteer at one end of the vehicle. but if you upgrade both the front and rear sway bars that yield the same stiffness increase over stock (say +100%), will the under/oversteer characteristic remain unchanged?[1] will total grip remain unchanged?[2] only body roll will be decreased?[3]
1/ Yes. This is best achieved by buying a front/rear set of arb from a manufacturer.
2/ No. Because you are rolling less at the same speed total grip should increase. This is the point of anti roll bars.
3/ No. The greater the proportion of total roll stiffness that comes from arb the greater the cross-talk. That is, if you put a very stiff arb on soft springs you will get noticeable cross talk. The left side hitting a bump will influence the right side. If you put light arb on stiff springs you will not.
For this reason I am not using any arb at the moment but I have been strongly advised to put the oem arb back on with 7k/6k springs.

Because compromise.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
sato (07-10-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 05:41 AM   #3310
Purist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Thanks dude. Appreciate the advice. I think I'll keep it simple and go coilovers, which seem to be universally regarded as better (faster) than stock setup.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:22 AM   #3311
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Thanks dude. Appreciate the advice. I think I'll keep it simple and go coilovers, which seem to be universally regarded as better (faster) than stock setup.
That entirely depends on the coilovers.
I would be willing to wager you being slower on just about anything in the sub $2000 range.
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:18 PM   #3312
Purist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokay444 View Post
That entirely depends on the coilovers.
I would be willing to wager you being slower on just about anything in the sub $2000 range.
Is that because the dampers are crap? It could be interesting challenge. My times are pretty consistent so I'd be interested to try the cheapies and see, but I'm sure you're right. The fact that a lot of manufacturers and retailers don't state the spring rate, only how much the car will be lowered speaks volumes for the true purpose of 99% of coilovers sold. I'm trying to find tenths though, so not really interested in cheap bling.

I was going to go a set of MCA XRs or a rebuilt set MCA reds and that nifty MCA 'traction mod' device.

Cheers for the input

Last edited by Purist; 07-17-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Purist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:36 PM   #3313
ApexEight

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT SSM
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
@Racecomp Engineering, first off, thanks for everything you do for this forum.

My question is in regard to spring rates. I would like to run a Bilstein B6 and lowering spring combo. Why is that you guys choose to run square spring rates on the Yellows and Tarmacs? Given the lower than front motion ratio of the rear suspension, wouldn't it be better to have higher rates out back compared to the front? A lower effective spring rate in the rear would cause understeer, correct? In maximizing cornering grip and overall handling, isn't the goal to maximize front end grip (lower spring rate up front compared to the rear) so that you can "grip through the turn" and provide maximum lateral G?

I am learning the finer points of suspension tuning and want to make sure the money I invest results in maximum performance.

Thanks!
ApexEight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApexEight For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 09:46 PM   #3314
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,251 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
FWIW, I bought my friend's RCE T2s a few months ago. After four days on track with them I think I want to replace the 400 pound springs in the rear with 500 pound springs. Even with 3.4* of camber up front and 2.4* in the back I just can't seem to get the car to rotate like I want. On the first couple laps of a session I can tell the front end doesn't grip quite as much as I'd like. After a few laps the driver's front tire just overheats and the car starts to understeer significantly. I feel like I could drop a second on a 1:50 lap.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pat For This Useful Post:
ApexEight (07-17-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 10:47 AM   #3315
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
FWIW, I bought my friend's RCE T2s a few months ago. After four days on track with them I think I want to replace the 400 pound springs in the rear with 500 pound springs. Even with 3.4* of camber up front and 2.4* in the back I just can't seem to get the car to rotate like I want. On the first couple laps of a session I can tell the front end doesn't grip quite as much as I'd like. After a few laps the driver's front tire just overheats and the car starts to understeer significantly. I feel like I could drop a second on a 1:50 lap.
PMing you now. I can get you some 500s.

- andrew
Old 07-18-2017, 10:47 AM   #3316
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexEight View Post
@Racecomp Engineering, first off, thanks for everything you do for this forum.

My question is in regard to spring rates. I would like to run a Bilstein B6 and lowering spring combo. Why is that you guys choose to run square spring rates on the Yellows and Tarmacs? Given the lower than front motion ratio of the rear suspension, wouldn't it be better to have higher rates out back compared to the front? A lower effective spring rate in the rear would cause understeer, correct? In maximizing cornering grip and overall handling, isn't the goal to maximize front end grip (lower spring rate up front compared to the rear) so that you can "grip through the turn" and provide maximum lateral G?

I am learning the finer points of suspension tuning and want to make sure the money I invest results in maximum performance.

Thanks!
One of the concerns with a lowering spring is that since you're restricted to relatively soft rates that have to work with the stock shocks, it's likely that you will be on the bumpstops when cornering hard. Even stock suspension is very bumpstop active. For any spring that lowers significantly, the listed spring rates is only part of the equation. Our springs use firmer front springs than most to help reduce the progressive ramp up in front wheel rate due to the bumpstop effect (and we also include shorter bumpstops).

We also looked at suspension geometry during body roll in the front vs. rear in terms of dynamic alignment changes and roll center. Most street cars running lowering springs aren't running a ton of front camber, so a firmer front helps make the most of what you have.

For coilovers with stiffer spring rates that are kept more flat in a corner, rear biased spring rates can work well and we do offer that as an option. The default is even rates as we feel that is a good way to go for MOST drivers.

- Andrew
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
bhmax (07-18-2017), dattran86 (07-18-2017), Teseo (07-19-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 11:49 PM   #3317
babykwiss

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What would cause the driver side front tire to wear out A LOT faster on the outside compared to all the other 3 on the track. Recently went to Shannonville (Canada, Ontario) and the track has a lot of right turns. My current alignemt is Front -3.3 / Rear -2.5. Running 245/40/17 RE71R on 17x9. Trying to correct my setup before I buy a new set of tires.
babykwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:28 AM   #3318
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
How about rotating tires to even out wear? Though mentioned "A LOT" marks possibility of some issue too.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote