follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 06-13-2023, 10:00 PM   #1
Ed.bbfec86

Drives: 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help with constant brake squeaking

I am wondering if anyone has any insight into what may be happening here. I am running track pads (gloc r12 in front and r8 in the rear) on oem sliding calipers. They are fine on the track, but when I'm driving on the street the brakes squeak constantly, even when Im not pressing the brake pedal. Accelerating, coasting, driving slow, driving fast on the highway, they be squeaking. They make a rhythmic pulsing squeak that increases and decreases frequency with the speed of the car. I've been driving it like this for over a year and just put up with it, but lately its been really annoying me and and ruining my enjoyment of the car on the street.

I am wondering if anyone else has had this constant squeaking problem with track pads, and how to prevent it other than swapping back and forth from track to street pads.

I assume this is caused by the pads dragging somehow. I checked all caliper slide pins and everything is nice and smooth. I initially thought this was caused by the front calipers not releasing, so I swapped the street pads back into the fronts to see what happened. This quieted the squeaking somewhat, but it was still pretty bad coming from the rears. So I don't think the front caliper theory was correct.
At the same time I also happened to have put new rotors on the rear which gave me some insight into how the pads are contacting the rotor. After driving for a bit, I saw pad wear appear only on the center half of the swept surface on the outer face of the rotor, and nice even pad wear on the inside face of the rotor. This is the same on both left and right side. See attached picture. Based on this wear pattern, I figured that the pads must be worn at an angle, and thats whats causing them to constantly drag on the rotor.

Is there any way to avoid this and stop the constant squeaking while driving with track pads? Do I need to replace the calipers? or switch to a different track pad? I feel like there had to be a solution because all of my 86 track friends say they've never had this issue.

Any help is much appreciated! Thank you!

Ed
Attached Images

Ed.bbfec86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 12:23 AM   #2
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I couldn’t keep the transfer layer going on my carbotechs so this doesn’t surprise me, I just swap, you’re never going to get perfect pad wear.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (06-14-2023), Ohio Enthusiast (06-14-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 01:21 AM   #3
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
lol, did you even read his post? He's describing a constant noise from the brakes while driving. There's a mechanical reason of why this must be happening.

He's not having problems with uneven pad wear or laying down an even transfer layer. Something is seriously wrong but I don't know enough about brakes to say what exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 01:40 AM   #4
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
lol, did you even read his post? He's describing a constant noise from the brakes while driving. There's a mechanical reason of why this must be happening.

He's not having problems with uneven pad wear or laying down an even transfer layer. Something is seriously wrong but I don't know enough about brakes to say what exactly.
He also said the calipers slide freely and the pads aren’t overheating so they’re not stuck, there’s not much else to do my man.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 01:42 AM   #5
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
He could burn it all down and go BBK?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
autoracer86 (06-14-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 08:19 AM   #6
Ed.bbfec86

Quote:
hahaha ive definitely thought about that.
Old 06-14-2023, 10:02 AM   #7
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I have the exact same noise with G-Loc R10 (front and rear). It comes and goes on the street and doesn't happen on track (where the pads are quite in all cases). My calipers pins slide freely as well and there is no heat due to this.
Applying slight braking makes that constant noise go away, with more brake force making the pads squeal and then even heavier brake force makes the pads almost quite again.

My thinking is that brake pads always very lightly touch the rotors. Street pads are silent but some track pads generate noise. I just swap the pads as close to the track day and then as soon as I can after and live with the noise while driving to/from the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed.bbfec86 View Post
all of my 86 track friends say they've never had this issue.
What brakes and pads are your friends running?
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 10:31 AM   #8
Ed.bbfec86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
I have the exact same noise with G-Loc R10 (front and rear). It comes and goes on the street and doesn't happen on track (where the pads are quite in all cases). My calipers pins slide freely as well and there is no heat due to this.
Applying slight braking makes that constant noise go away, with more brake force making the pads squeal and then even heavier brake force makes the pads almost quite again.

My thinking is that brake pads always very lightly touch the rotors. Street pads are silent but some track pads generate noise. I just swap the pads as close to the track day and then as soon as I can after and live with the noise while driving to/from the track.

What brakes and pads are your friends running?

Thanks! That sounds exactly like what Ive been experiencing. Same with applying slight brake pressure making the noise stop momentarily. Then with more force it goes into normal track pad braking squeal.

I guess it must just be a gloc thing? My friends who ive talked to about it are running CSG pads with either oem sliding calipers or BBK's. I hadn't wanted to shell out the $$$ for the csg pads in the past, but maybe I'll try a set. They do last way longer than glocs so the cost per track day seems to pretty much even out.
Old 06-14-2023, 10:43 AM   #9
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
I had the same issue and agree with strat. Could never keep a transfer layer on XP10’s, car would always make noise as disc brakes do have a bit of drag to them. It is a carbotech thing and gloc was spun off of them essentially.
Ohio Enthusiast (06-14-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 11:03 AM   #10
Ed.bbfec86

Cool, thanks for the info. Im glad to hear it isn't anything wrong with my brakes. I'll just swap pads for track days and maybe try CSG or some other track pads.
Old 06-14-2023, 11:24 AM   #11
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed.bbfec86 View Post
Cool, thanks for the info. Im glad to hear it isn't anything wrong with my brakes. I'll just swap pads for track days and maybe try CSG or some other track pads.
The CSG's work well but are really expensive, like a few hundred more a set. I'd talk to others in your area and see what they are running before making a buy.
Old 06-14-2023, 12:36 PM   #12
autoracer86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
haha that is where I am at !
autoracer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 12:38 PM   #13
Ed.bbfec86

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoracer86 View Post
haha that is where I am at !
Hell yea bruther BBKs are siccc

Last edited by Ed.bbfec86; 06-14-2023 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-14-2023, 01:09 PM   #14
NoHaveMSG

Garage
BBK won't solve the issues with these pad compounds FYI. All the issues I had were on BBK.
Clipdat (06-14-2023), CSG Mike (06-16-2023), strat61caster (06-14-2023)