follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

View Poll Results: What motor mounts do you run?
Stock 28 46.67%
Cusco 6 10.00%
Perrin 17 28.33%
STI 7 11.67%
Other: Explain 2 3.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 02-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #15
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Damn, that's disappointing to hear. maybe @Jeff@Perrin can help you out?
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:59 AM   #16
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_1981 View Post
I posted this in the review section but thought i would share with you guys. If you have these on your car please check them out for your safety.

This review is about my experience with Perrin's Engine Mounts for Force Induction Application

Purchase Date: Jan 2013
Received Date: April 2013
Installed Date: April 15, 2013

***The pictures kinda sum it all up. The mounts are melting!***
Let me start off by saying I live in Florida and this car has been FI(Perrin Tuned Vortech & FA20Club Turbo) . The exhaust system on the car was a Perrin 2.5 header back. We only found this problem because I was switching setups to a 3inch header back exhaust system. Huge props to @Ironsquid for seeing it. I also have every cooling product on the car you can buy to keep engine bay temps down.(vented hood, ceramic coating, radiator, oil cooler...etc)

Quality: 4/5
Design looks great. Mounts felt like quality in hand. When on the car the engine mounts kept the engine from rocking. Very little NVH.

Packaging: 5/5
Came in a nice box with bubble wrap well packaged.

Install:
Can't comment on this mechanic installed them.

Durability: 1/5
The mounts have only been on for 10 months and this is the condition of them. The mount is disentgrating you can pick pieces of urethane right off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
Damn, that's disappointing to hear. maybe [MENTION=10234]Jeff[/MENTION @PERRIN can help you out?
FTFY I have them too and I'm concerned.

@PERRIN

@PERRIN_ADAM

@PERRIN_Chris

@PERRIN_Christina

@PERRIN_Jeff

@PERRIN_Mladen
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #17
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have some Cusco ones sitting in a box here I'm waiting to install along with my header/overpipe. I used them on my WRX in the past and they worked great. Like others have said they aren't solid mounts.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #18
Pete156
I like to eat!

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
My Perrin mounts would not fit with the Perrin overpipe. I sent them back. After seeing these pics, I'm glad I stayed with stock.
Pete156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:24 PM   #19
SmsAlSuwaidi
Boosted

Drives: Not a supra....yet
Thanked 1,203 Times in 812 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Smh

Guess i might refund my pair

Sent from my IBrick
SmsAlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SmsAlSuwaidi For This Useful Post:
Dipstik-sportech (02-23-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 12:01 PM   #20
PERRIN_Chris

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to PERRIN_Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_1981 View Post
I posted this in the review section but thought i would share with you guys. If you have these on your car please check them out for your safety.

This review is about my experience with Perrin's Engine Mounts for Force Induction Application

Purchase Date: Jan 2013
Received Date: April 2013
Installed Date: April 15, 2013

***The pictures kinda sum it all up. The mounts are melting!***
Let me start off by saying I live in Florida and this car has been FI(Perrin Tuned Vortech & FA20Club Turbo) . The exhaust system on the car was a Perrin 2.5 header back. We only found this problem because I was switching setups to a 3inch header back exhaust system. Huge props to @Ironsquid for seeing it. I also have every cooling product on the car you can buy to keep engine bay temps down.(vented hood, ceramic coating, radiator, oil cooler...etc)

Quality: 4/5
Design looks great. Mounts felt like quality in hand. When on the car the engine mounts kept the engine from rocking. Very little NVH.

Packaging: 5/5
Came in a nice box with bubble wrap well packaged.

Install:
Can't comment on this mechanic installed them.

Durability: 1/5
The mounts have only been on for 10 months and this is the condition of them. The mount is disentgrating you can pick pieces of urethane right off.

That is not normal for sure, sending PM! Sorry for the hassle. I'm not sure how many customers of ours have turbo kits installed with our header, this is the first we've seen melt! It could be that it will need additional head shielding.
PERRIN_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PERRIN_Chris For This Useful Post:
Ironsquid (02-24-2014), Ryan P (02-24-2014), tg_1981 (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 12:37 PM   #21
PERRIN_Chris

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to PERRIN_Chris
I also wanted to add that with aftermarket headers and especially turbo kits with dyno time, additional shielding is going to absolutely needed on the header if it's going to be used with either the stock engine mounts or aftermarket mounts. These cars aren't built from the factory to be FI, so wrapping, shields, will need to be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete156 View Post
My Perrin mounts would not fit with the Perrin overpipe. I sent them back. After seeing these pics, I'm glad I stayed with stock.
The PERRIN engine mounts work fine on a car that uses the factory header. I believe you have an aftermarket header that was installed, which was causing the fitment issue. We have never had that issue with a factory header installed.
PERRIN_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:02 PM   #22
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Chris View Post
I also wanted to add that with aftermarket headers and especially turbo kits with dyno time, additional shielding is going to absolutely needed on the header if it's going to be used with either the stock engine mounts or aftermarket mounts. These cars aren't built from the factory to be FI, so wrapping, shields, will need to be used.

The PERRIN engine mounts work fine on a car that uses the factory header. I believe you have an aftermarket header that was installed, which was causing the fitment issue. We have never had that issue with a factory header installed.
I think its safe to say over 90% of Perrin Engine Mounts customers and target market for them have an aftermarket header.

To extract the kind of power from the engine that merits upgrading mounts, one of the first steps is upgrading the stock header.

Last edited by Sportsguy83; 02-24-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #23
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
I used the stock mounts for all 15,000 of my forced induction miles with no issues. I really don't think aftermarket ones are required.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #24
SmsAlSuwaidi
Boosted

Drives: Not a supra....yet
Thanked 1,203 Times in 812 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
I used the stock mounts for all 15,000 of my forced induction miles with no issues. I really don't think aftermarket ones are required.
But they are pretty helpful with 3" overpipes
SmsAlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #25
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmsAlSuwaidi View Post
But they are pretty helpful with 3" overpipes
I agree that not allowing the motor to move as much can help with large overpipe clearance issues where it can contact the sway bar or the subframe. That is about the only reason I can see doing it on a street car, and I would still prefer a better designed part that wouldn't make contact on the OEM mounts.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:11 PM   #26
nataku
Negative Mass

Drives: Orange Metallic AVO Turbo GT86 6MT
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
With UEL headers even 2.5" Overpipes can have a tendency to bang against the suspension. I got the Perrin mounts as soon as my AVO kit was installed to make sure.

As far as NVH, my car was a massage chair when idling under 1000 RPMs, but we had to raise the idle because of my clutch so it's about back to normal. Though under heavy engine braking the car vibrates.

Edit: Based on reading about the melting mounts I guess I might take a look at some point. Though PTuning was just staring at my car for weeks and I feel like they would have noticed something like that. Maybe the fact that my AVO headers have always been ceramic coated has helped prevent that issue.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #27
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Quote:
I agree that not allowing the motor to move as much can help with large overpipe clearance issues where it can contact the sway bar or the subframe. That is about the only reason I can see doing it on a street car, and I would still prefer a better designed part that wouldn't make contact on the OEM mounts.
Gotta disagree. Have you seen how much movement the engine has in the cradle in on/off throttle? Engine mounts are probably one of the best ways to improve driveline performance in on/off throttle and ensure that torque is going to the wheels instead of needless movement of the engine/trans assembly. You can literally feel the entire driveline moving during shifting and on/off throttle conditions.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
nataku (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #28
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Gotta disagree. Have you seen how much movement the engine has in the cradle in on/off throttle? Engine mounts are probably one of the best ways to improve driveline performance in on/off throttle and ensure that torque is going to the wheels instead of needless movement of the engine/trans assembly. You can literally feel the entire driveline moving during shifting and on/off throttle conditions.
I saw how much it could move when I installed my clutch, and I couldn't get the damn engine to stop moving so I could get the transmission to seat. I still prefer the less NVH approach of the OEM mounts on the street. I am not sure why we didn't get the rear dogbone mount that the WRX/STI have.