follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 06-09-2015, 06:15 PM   #1
aaguirre123

Drives: sti 2012 sedan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My Experience with Works Stage 1 Turbo Kit

I Moved this thread onto the Forced Induction, Technical Topics section.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...25#post2384025

YouTube link:

I installed a Works Stage 1 Turbo kit on 2013 FR-S. I used the ECUTEK tune that was provided by Works Motorsports. The only modification that I have done before turbo installation was a flex fuel kit tuned by Delicious Tuning. Per dyno results, flex fuel was providing a 179 whp on E66 NA. Compared to turbo kit (running on California 91 octane) it definitely delivers more power than prior flex fuel tune. I could feel the pull from 3100 rpm up to redline. For a turbo kit that does not have the traditional large intercooler this kit is amazing. The car feels completely different.

I also ordered "Flash & Go" tune from delicious tuning plus 11 psi map sensor. I can't wait to install it.

My next mod would be a methanol injection. If you look at the video, I already installed the injection nozzle near the throttle body, small battery and water pump by where the large battery used to be located. Reason for the methanol injection or just water injection is because I don't trust this kit completely. Due to no traditional large intercooler, the meth or water injection main purpose is to prevent potential knocks that could damage the engine.

I also installed a PCV Mishimoto catch can, Radium crankcase catch can and a Tomei uel headers.

I was going to install an AVO kit that I bought used. The used kit was missing an oil pump plate. I requested to pay this missing part from AVO but totally ignored my request. I could have gone to a machinist to fabricate one for me but since AVO was not willing to provide this part I just decided not to install their kit. I just sold it to another person.

The reasons why I selected this Kit over others:
1) It's a turbo
2) I don't get to touch the bumper (I was going to make an exception with AVO)
3) potential CARB legal
4) I could upgrade to a gtx2867
5) It's not a supercharger
6) and it's a turbo!

Last edited by aaguirre123; 09-08-2015 at 08:10 PM. Reason: add photos
aaguirre123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aaguirre123 For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (06-09-2015)
Old 06-09-2015, 06:30 PM   #2
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaguirre123 View Post

I installed a Works Stage 1 Turbo kit on 2013 FR-S. I used the ECUTEK tune that was provided by Works Motorsports. The only modification that I have done before turbo installation was a flex fuel kit tuned by Delicious Tuning. Per dyno results, flex fuel was providing a 179 whp on E66 NA. Compared to turbo kit (running on California 91 octane) it definitely delivers more power than prior flex fuel tune. I could feel the pull from 3100 rpm up to redline. For a turbo kit that does not have the traditional large intercooler this kit is amazing. The car feels completely different.

I also ordered "Flash & Go" tune from delicious tuning plus 11 psi map sensor. I can't wait to install it.

My next mod would be a methanol injection. If you look at the video, I already installed the injection nozzle near the throttle body, small battery and water pump by where the large battery used to be located. Reason for the methanol injection or just water injection is because I don't trust this kit completely. Due to no traditional large intercooler, the meth or water injection main purpose is to prevent potential knocks that could damage the engine.

I also installed a PCV Mishimoto catch can, Radium crankcase catch can and a Tomei uel headers.

I was going to install an AVO kit that I bought used. The used kit was missing an oil pump plate. I requested to pay this missing part from AVO but totally ignored my request. I could have gone to a machinist to fabricate one for me but since AVO was not willing to provide this part I just decided not to install their kit. I just sold it to another person.
Congrats! Mine is getting installed on the 22nd of this month!
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to raven1231 For This Useful Post:
aaguirre123 (06-09-2015)
Old 06-09-2015, 06:32 PM   #3
raven1231

How long did the install take you? Excited to see the results when you get a retune! Also, would love to see a video of the car in motion!
Old 06-09-2015, 06:43 PM   #4
aaguirre123

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
How long did the install take you? Excited to see the results when you get a retune! Also, would love to see a video of the car in motion!

about 12-14 hours. but now that I have experience, I can install it in 6 hours. it's funny how that works.
raven1231 (06-09-2015)
Old 06-09-2015, 06:46 PM   #5
raven1231

Quote:
about 12-14 hours. but now that I have experience, I can install it in 6 hours. it's funny how that works.
Yeah, it's always easier the second time around lol. Congrats on the kit man!
The Following User Says Thank You to raven1231 For This Useful Post:
aaguirre123 (06-09-2015)
Old 06-09-2015, 06:47 PM   #6
themajesticone

Drives: '13 UM86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
YouTube link:

Considering you do not have an oil cooler installed...
What are the car's temperatures at?
Have you tracked your car with this kit?
Was it worth it at the end of the day?
Have you experienced the Jackson Racing Supercharger? If so how does the WORKS compare?

JRSC C30 91 oct | JDL UEL Header | Tomei Overpipe | Milltek Front Pipe | Milltek Catback | SPL LCA v2 | FA 500 v5 Coilovers 6k/7k | SPC Front Camber Bolts | Enkei RPF1 17x9 +35 | 245/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport
themajesticone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:17 PM   #7
aaguirre123

- I don't have a temp reader gauge but temp needle is towards the cold side from middle of temp gauge. If I have time I'll youtube it.

- I am not going to track it right now. But when I do, I'll install an oil cooler first before I track it. I daily drive the car and I don't have any over heating issues and I live in Los Angeles. It was hot yesterday and I did not get any over heating issues. Just to be safe though, I am installing a meth or water injection for cooling.

- To me it is worth it. For the power that it delivers I am more than happy. No more mini-vans beating me on the street and freeways. LOL.
- This car just needed that extra power to be complete.

Have you experienced the Jackson Racing Supercharger? If so how does the WORKS compare?
- I did not go with the supercharger because turbos are more efficient. They are less parasitic in power because it uses the exhaust. Plus I like a little lag. LOL. The sensation of a little lag before the euphoric pull of the turbo is what I am after. I used to own a 2013 sti; it was giving that same sensation. Lag, lag and pull baby pull. LOL.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aaguirre123 For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (06-09-2015), raven1231 (06-09-2015)
Old 06-09-2015, 07:20 PM   #8
raven1231

Quote:
- I don't have a temp reader gauge but temp needle is towards the cold side from middle of temp gauge. If I have time I'll youtube it.

- I am not going to track it right now. But when I do, I'll install an oil cooler first before I track it. I daily drive the car and I don't have any over heating issues and I live in Los Angeles. It was hot yesterday and I did not get any over heating issues. Just to be safe though, I am installing a meth or water injection for cooling.

- To me it is worth it. For the power that it delivers I am more than happy. No more mini-vans beating me on the street and freeways. LOL.
- This car just needed that extra power to be complete.

- I did not go with the supercharger because turbos are more efficient. They are less parasitic in power because it uses the exhaust. Plus I like a little lag. LOL. The sensation of a little lag before the euphoric pull of the turbo is what I am after. I used to own a 2013 sti; it was giving that same sensation. Lag, lag and pull baby pull. LOL.
I agree I like the turbo pull feel that comes on afterwards
Old 06-09-2015, 07:40 PM   #9
tyrantcf

Drives: '16 WRX, CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
YouTube link:

The reasons why I selected this Kit over others:
1) It's a turbo
2) I don't get to touch to bumper (I was going to make an exception with AVO)
3) potential CARB legal
4) I could upgrade to a gtx2867
5) It's not a supercharger
6) and it's a turbo!

Sounds like you've got a decent set up going, any plans to get it dyno'd again?
Are you happy with the Delicious flash and go?
Old 06-09-2015, 07:47 PM   #10
aaguirre123

Sounds like you've got a decent set up going, any plans to get it dyno'd again?
- someday. to busy right now. for now i'll use my car driver seat as dyno.

Are you happy with the Delicious flash and go?
- I'll let you know when I get my 11 psi delicious tuning map sensor that I ordered today. I can't wait.
raven1231 (06-09-2015)