follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 09-17-2021, 01:21 AM   #1
Zeno301

Drives: 2019 Subaru Brz Series Grey
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Clunking/Pinging Noise coming from Front Left

So recently I have been hearing a clunk/pinging noise coming form the front left of the car. It happens predominately when turning left and going over bumps/uneven roads, but will also happen sometimes when going straight over bumps.

Ive checked the nuts and bolts and everything seems tight.

It drives perfectly fine just as it did before. Theres just that noise.

Ive narrowed it down to where I believe it is the strut or somewhere along that area. But I'm still not 100% sure what the issue is or how to fix it.

As a last resort/effort, I sprayed some silicone lubricant on the strut/coils and it definitely made it better. The noise wasn't as loud, still audible, but not as loud. It also required more effort on my part to recreate the noise with my weight.

Heres a link to a video I recorded of the noise with my phone laying down while I moved the car up and down with my weight.

I’m running the Greddy x KW v3 coilovers and they’re only 6 months old.

Any idea what it could be?

Last edited by Zeno301; 09-17-2021 at 01:35 AM.
Zeno301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:34 AM   #2
bdtbdtbdt

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Guessing it's the loose top nut at the top hat. It's hard to hold the KW shaft tight with strap wrenches. I wrapped a few turns of good duct tape around the shaft , then put a worm drive hose clamp over the tape. Vise grips over the hose clamp (not to tight). Impact wrench to tighten the top nut. (just a quick blast. Impacts are not too good for shocks). Hope it helps, Good luck!
bdtbdtbdt is offline   Reply With Quote