follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-25-2017, 03:08 PM   #29
Krion

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T View Post
No word from Whiteline or ACE on this matter
Did you fix the issue by going back to the standard bushings?
Krion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:25 PM   #30
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I am willing to bet this is out of the norm for either company. It is interesting to see the responses here though ranging from thinking ceramic coating is a cure-all for heat to wanting to blame the manufacturers immediately. While parts failed, it is a bushing in a part of the car that almost retains heat while also being in close proximity to heat. Stuff like this happens when you track a vehicle and / or drive it aggressively for long periods of time. Bushings wear out, all of them do. This is a severe instance, and definitely a new one on the forum, but it does not mean it is a call to burn ACE and whiteline at the stake. Obviously there are many members with products from both companies that have not had this same kind of issue. I'm not sure who is running both the swaybar and the header in conjunction, and this may simply comedown to a compatibility issue between two companies that design completely different products. Just saying.... take a step back and maybe not instigate a witch hunt quite yet.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 03:38 PM   #31
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
I am willing to bet this is out of the norm for either company. It is interesting to see the responses here though ranging from thinking ceramic coating is a cure-all for heat to wanting to blame the manufacturers immediately. While parts failed, it is a bushing in a part of the car that almost retains heat while also being in close proximity to heat. Stuff like this happens when you track a vehicle and / or drive it aggressively for long periods of time. Bushings wear out, all of them do. This is a severe instance, and definitely a new one on the forum, but it does not mean it is a call to burn ACE and whiteline at the stake. Obviously there are many members with products from both companies that have not had this same kind of issue. I'm not sure who is running both the swaybar and the header in conjunction, and this may simply comedown to a compatibility issue between two companies that design completely different products. Just saying.... take a step back and maybe not instigate a witch hunt quite yet.
Yep, this happens all the time, this platform is VERY spoiled for choice with different components designed in some dramatically different ways. That simply means that this will happen.

I think in looking at this, I'd be tempted to replace the bushing, reinstall the header and confirm clearances, then see what play the components have to gain extra clearance 'here and there'.

My guess is that repairing the ceramic coating on the header, and making a small shield you can tack weld to the sway bar bushing bracket with a small strip of DEI reflect a gold would resolve your issue.

#justRacecarThings
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazzleSAURUS For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 03:39 PM   #32
imnotsureaboutbrz

Drives: between cars...
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T View Post
maybe we could get @AceHeader-MT to weigh in on this?
or @CSG Mike
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:14 PM   #33
mkivsoopra

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I've melted the sway bar bushing and steering tie rod boot on the track too, with a different setup. My issue was an exhaust leak.
mkivsoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mkivsoopra For This Useful Post:
B T (09-28-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 06:38 PM   #34
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotsureaboutbrz View Post
I'm pretty sure nobody would dispute that my car is driven hard. My bushings are just fine. I'm on OEM.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
imnotsureaboutbrz (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 07:05 PM   #35
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
I took this picture last week while doing some maintenance on my 17. Ace A/350 w/ CSG double ceramic + flex fuel tune.

CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (09-28-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 11:19 AM   #36
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krion View Post
Did you fix the issue by going back to the standard bushings?
I just replaced the bushing with another one from Whiteline. I'm guessing it must have been an exhaust leak spilling gases directly onto the bushing. I found one bolt at the collector to frontpipe location missing on the bushing side. I did not ever hear any exhaust leak, but I'm posting this as the cause for now.

New exhaust bolts and heat wrap installed. I'll have a track day in early November and report back on any further damage.
B T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to B T For This Useful Post:
bcj (09-28-2017), CSG David (09-28-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 02:13 PM   #37
Qc86

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 M6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had the same problem on my 2017. Gruppe s ceramic coated headers and overpipe and my oem bushing starts melting (not as much as you tho). When ill install my new front swaybar amd engine mount ill do a heat shield for it or either gonna wrap the exhaust. I have no exhaust leek btw. Not much track i inly did 4 run of autocross but sometimes i drive my car 7-8hours straight and i drive it hard so might be that
Qc86 is offline   Reply With Quote