follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 09-21-2020, 06:42 AM   #29
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I find that if I don't write things down, I forget, then they didn't exist -
I don't have to write anything down. I have a wife. She WILL remind me.
humfrz (09-21-2020), soundman98 (09-21-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 09:32 PM   #30
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I don't have to write anything down. I have a wife. She WILL remind me.
.....an oldie -
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:53 AM   #31
szjalo

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
sorry for the late reply, pads are thin but not to a point to touch the indicator pin. I will replace pads as well as the hardware.

doubt the noise is from the pad being too thin, because that would be a continuous noise instead of occasional, right? The fact that my noise only come up under certain circumstance seem to imply something else?

I also notice noise will be completely gone for couple days after any rain. then came back after couple dry days. This reminds me my old bike, making rattle sound everywhere until it rains and noise goes away but came back after few dry days.
szjalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:28 PM   #32
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Without knowing pad material and rotor history it's hard to know. These are stock breaks or PP brembos

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:13 PM   #33
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by szjalo View Post
sorry for the late reply, pads are thin but not to a point to touch the indicator pin. I will replace pads as well as the hardware.

doubt the noise is from the pad being too thin, because that would be a continuous noise instead of occasional, right? The fact that my noise only come up under certain circumstance seem to imply something else?

I also notice noise will be completely gone for couple days after any rain. then came back after couple dry days. This reminds me my old bike, making rattle sound everywhere until it rains and noise goes away but came back after few dry days.
When the pads are thin they lose the damping coefficient of the pad material. Track pads sing because the compound is much harder than street compound. At elevated temperature, when a street compound would already be smearing, track compound softens just enough to achieve maximum effectiveness.

After rain, the tiny voids in the material fill with rust just enough to damp the vibration. Then as they are used, that dust clears and "riiiiiing!" Your old worn drive chain did the same thing.

Also, because they are thin, the brake pots (pistons) are extended that much further from the cylinders. That also contributes to the ringing.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:03 PM   #34
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Well, imho biggest source of noise (reasoning by track pads noise going down on track) for track pads is that their working temp range is too high to be reached during normal braking driving on public roads .. so bedded layer quickly wears down, resulting in squeal. Track crowd usually takes extra care to keep brakes working properly, frequently switch pads, so wear level rarely comes as surprise and thus i don't think that pad high wear is common noise culprit.

For street pads squeal might be due them worn too much, and as many of them have "brake wear indicator" in form of embedded metal plate that scratches disk with noise once high wear level reached. People only daily driving their cars often care way less about regular diagnostics and also often try to use parts (including pads) past reasonable wear rates ..

As to OP, if wear level is certain to not be issue (has he checked pad thickness?), i'd think first of trying to rebed brakes with repeated hard stopping and see if that doesn't fix noise issue. "should still have some life left" sounds more like guesswork, not measurement.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:56 PM   #35
szjalo

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
update: I took the pads down just to be sure that I was right about their remaining life. Turns out they aren't that thin either. I think I could have driven another 10k miles on these pads, especially I am doing 95% hwy.

Still couldn't tell where the noise is from. Many of you commented that the pads are too thin, which turned out to be not the case. I still do not think thin pads (rotor/pin contact) can result in an *inconsistent* noise.

My best bet is loosen/ dirty hardware. my old brake clips are not loosen but they sure have baked on brake dusts.

Since I ordered new pads and hardware, I replaced the old pads and clips anyway, also lubed the pins. So far so good. but the noise problem was its inconsistency. I will see if the noise pops back at some point.
Attached Images

szjalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:17 PM   #36
Jdmjunkie

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Lube the slides on the caliper and lube the back of the pad. See what happens.
Jdmjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:07 PM   #37
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by szjalo View Post
I think I could have driven another 10k miles on these pads, especially I am doing 95% hwy.
Easily. If you have calipers of the measuring type, you can inspect them for uneven wear. Might even see it. Not necessarily horrible as long as the pins and guides are in good shape but I would not continue using them. I'm not big on the damping grease but the service manual does call for it.

New rotors are cheap enough to replace along with fresh pads. That gets your pots fully sunken back into the calipers and gives the new pads a nice start.

Last edited by Ultramaroon; 09-26-2020 at 09:20 PM.
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote