follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Marketplace > User/Vendor/Sponsor Reviews, Feedback, Comments

User Tag List

Old 07-11-2020, 10:00 PM   #1
Tanstin

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Harbor Freight Recalls Jack Stands Meant to Replace Recalled Jack Stands

[EDIT: Just noticed someone else posted about this, but I'll keep it up here for emphasis]

Back in May, It was discovered that Harbor Freight Jack Stands had the potential to drop suddenly and without warning when under load, which resulted in a massive recall of their jack stands for replacements, and a lot of money lost.

About 3-4 days ago they issued ANOTHER recall of their REPLACEMENT jack stands after finding a welding defect. If any of you guys own or know someone who owns harbor freight jack stands that has also received their recall stands, please let them know ASAP.

Specifics can be found here:
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ands-recalled/

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/di...-stands-again/
Tanstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:20 PM   #2
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
but this recall is different. it's not an official recall, it's more a 'if you don't trust our stuff, bring it back, we give you monies', kinda thing.

it's definitely an interesting stance to take for any company.
Tanstin (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 11:33 PM   #3
Tanstin

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
but this recall is different. it's not an official recall, it's more a 'if you don't trust our stuff, bring it back, we give you monies', kinda thing.

it's definitely an interesting stance to take for any company.
The welding defect is a real thing though. More importantly a company shouldnt have to do this if QC was improved

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2020, 11:39 PM   #4
soundman98

it always amazes me how many people genuinely believe that purchasing one of the cheaper products available should still meet the same quality and production standards of the highest end product for the same purpose.

production don't work like that.

my neighbor has a great story about that. he's got 2 buddies a few doors doors down that both decided they wanted to pull up and re-pour their concrete driveways. the one went with a company that had great past work reviews from his other buddies. the other, his wife in all her frugal-ness, insisted on getting at least 5 quotes, and using the cheapest, which amounted to about $300 less, but took an extra month to get the quotes all arranged. concrete is concrete as he said.

both companies come to do the work.

the 'higher cost' company rolled back the sod, pulled up the old concrete, set the forms, then the concrete, and then after pulling the forms, folded the sod back into place. it took 2 days, and when they were done, it looked like they were never there.

the 'lower cost' company comes in, digs up the old concrete and the sod on the edge for their forms, sets the forms, sets the concrete, pulls the forms and leaves. it took him another 3-4 weeks to re-fill, and re-seed the area they pulled apart for their forms, on top of the extra month it took for all the quotes...

Last edited by soundman98; 07-11-2020 at 11:50 PM.
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soundman98 For This Useful Post:
Jdmjunkie (07-15-2020), Tanstin (07-15-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 03:26 AM   #5
dagle

Drives: assphalt FRS, couple s2000's
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
thanks for making this thread lol, i finally looked at my harbor freight jack stands (that i've been using for over 10 years now) and sure enough, it's part number is on the list. i have 6-8 of them and it appears that they're offering 25$ per jack (30$ if store credit... but HF doesn't sell jack stands cheap anymore). I've used my default 4 set so much over the years that all the stickers/labels were gone. I found one in storage that still had the part number on it (P38846) and found it on the harbor freight recall link (below).

for anyone interdasted:
https://www.harborfreight.com/js-det...7,853,965&uid=

EDIT 7/14: I was wrong, the part number is actually for a pair of jacks (2 jacks get you the 25$ refund or 30$ store credit)

Last edited by dagle; 07-14-2020 at 11:52 PM.
dagle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dagle For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (07-14-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 12:29 PM   #6
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
it always amazes me how many people genuinely believe that purchasing one of the cheaper products available should still meet the same quality and production standards of the highest end product for the same purpose.

production don't work like that.

my neighbor has a great story about that. he's got 2 buddies a few doors doors down that both decided they wanted to pull up and re-pour their concrete driveways. the one went with a company that had great past work reviews from his other buddies. the other, his wife in all her frugal-ness, insisted on getting at least 5 quotes, and using the cheapest, which amounted to about $300 less, but took an extra month to get the quotes all arranged. concrete is concrete as he said.

both companies come to do the work.

the 'higher cost' company rolled back the sod, pulled up the old concrete, set the forms, then the concrete, and then after pulling the forms, folded the sod back into place. it took 2 days, and when they were done, it looked like they were never there.

the 'lower cost' company comes in, digs up the old concrete and the sod on the edge for their forms, sets the forms, sets the concrete, pulls the forms and leaves. it took him another 3-4 weeks to re-fill, and re-seed the area they pulled apart for their forms, on top of the extra month it took for all the quotes...
Unless you are implying that the simple act of "believing" that the cheaper products should meet the quality of the more expensive ones is a foolish act, I would say this is partially not true. Plenty of stuff is made in this world that costs cheaper but provides "good enough", equal, or better quality than its more expensive competitor. Sometimes premium prices are more brand name than quality.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
Tanstin (07-15-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 01:05 PM   #7
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
My rule of thumb is - cheap is rarely good, good it typically expensive. Sure, there are good cheap stuff, and there are terrible expensive stuff, but most often cheap is worse than expensive. It also helps to try and figure out where cost can be saved in an item, how it will impact the performance of the item and whether or not you are okay with the compromise for your needs and usage. Obviously someone working on 3 ton lifted pickups for a living would need more from their jack and stands than someone working on their own small light coupe. Yes, that may include compromising on safety to a degree.
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ohio Enthusiast For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (07-15-2020), soundman98 (07-15-2020), Tanstin (07-15-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 10:48 PM   #8
Tanstin

Quote:
Totally agree. It really is about finding that sweet spot between quality and price.

I get it though, most people like you and I don't have the cash to spend on Snap Ons (nor need to), and a lot of us shop at Harbor freight. I own a set of torque wrenches that I got for $10 a pop and they do the job just fine. But the reality is you get what you pay for, and when it comes jack stands and essential safety equipment. I DO NOT fuck around and neither should anyone else.

Some quality alternatives I've heard good things about are Hein-Werner, Esco, and Sunex, although I heard Hein-Werner switched from being made in the USA, to assembled in the USA.

Cheap tools can be replaced. Cheap jack stands are a lifetime supply
Old 07-16-2020, 12:42 AM   #9
soundman98

Or, as i do, i buy and use cheap jackstands, then leave the jack under one side for a second safety, and put a wheel under for a third safety.
Dzmitry (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 12:24 PM   #10
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,306 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanstin View Post
Totally agree. It really is about finding that sweet spot between quality and price.

I get it though, most people like you and I don't have the cash to spend on Snap Ons (nor need to), and a lot of us shop at Harbor freight. I own a set of torque wrenches that I got for $10 a pop and they do the job just fine. But the reality is you get what you pay for, and when it comes jack stands and essential safety equipment. I DO NOT fuck around and neither should anyone else.

Some quality alternatives I've heard good things about are Hein-Werner, Esco, and Sunex, although I heard Hein-Werner switched from being made in the USA, to assembled in the USA.

Cheap tools can be replaced. Cheap jack stands are a lifetime supply
I have seen enough galled cam caps to say that 10 dollar torque wrenches are not worth it. You don't have to spend a days wages for one that is passable either.