follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 12-17-2019, 06:23 AM   #29
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRTROB View Post
After using three Pioneer 2 DIN radios I have finally settled on this cheap Chinese Android head unit. I love the look. It looks like a modern factory Toyota radio. I also love the rotary knobs. Initially I had problems with bluetooth A2DP music skipping when the radio was connected to my phone’s hotspot. All that changed when I got the carplay dongle - I don’t even have to use my phone’s hotspot or even connect to bluetooth anymore. I can make calls and send messages by just being connected through the lightning cable. There’s a wireless Carplay dongle but I settled for the wired version. I currently have the dongle connected to the stock usb port but this weekend I’ll be relocating it inside the dash, placed in between the radio and factory usb port.

Sorry for the crappy photo. The forum has a pretty low image size restriction.

It's Chinese, fills the gap, is cheap, works... What is the brand/model?!?
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 10:02 AM   #30
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Problem with Android HU imo is the slow cold bootup times and maybe audio connections if you want to hook up more like coaxial speakers/sub combined with audio quality RMS outputs. Otherwise, it's a cool gadget if you don't care for sound quality. All of your apps are there and you can run torque gauges.
Irace86.2.0 (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 11:20 PM   #31
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
I ended up buying the Kenwood DDX919WS. I think it'll be best for all the features I want. It wasn't the cheapest, but I think it'll be worth the price. What sold me was the following features:

--Flush fit
--Wireless AppleCarplay
--Capacitive touchscreen
--HD pixel density
--Sound quality

Other perks

--CD player
--Ability to control/view multiple cameras
--Gesture controls
--Steering wheel controls
--Tunability
--Tilt functions
--Etc

I also ordered the OEM Audio Plus Reference 500Q kit. I'll need to get some Dynamat and maybe some other things like cameras. We will see.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:37 AM   #32
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post

I also ordered the OEM Audio Plus Reference 500Q kit. I'll need to get some Dynamat and maybe some other things like cameras. We will see.

Grats. I would say sound deadening helped me a lot. Noticed it helped improved stock setup before I started upgrading everything. I only did the doors, rear seats, trunk shelf, and trunk. Didn't do the roof or flooring.

I would like to do the roof but not sure about removing the liner. Every time I park under a tree or something and an acorn drops on the hood it's so loud I bet sound deadening it would help.
Irace86.2.0 (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 02:19 PM   #33
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaR86 View Post
Grats. I would say sound deadening helped me a lot. Noticed it helped improved stock setup before I started upgrading everything. I only did the doors, rear seats, trunk shelf, and trunk. Didn't do the roof or flooring.

I would like to do the roof but not sure about removing the liner. Every time I park under a tree or something and an acorn drops on the hood it's so loud I bet sound deadening it would help.
Did you use Dynamat?
Old 12-18-2019, 03:22 PM   #34
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Quote:
Did you use Dynamat?

Nope. Too rich for me, I used Noico 80 mil. The mids and bass sound more like a focused "punch" than a smack.

I'm not an audiophile, but a car is a terrible sound-stage to try and get perfection in. Recently got some entry level headphones (Sennheiser HD 58x) and music sounds amazing so nothing can really top them unless you're doing a full living room theater setup.
Irace86.2.0 (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 03:58 PM   #35
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Nope. Too rich for me, I used Noico 80 mil. The mids and bass sound more like a focused "punch" than a smack.

I'm not an audiophile, but a car is a terrible sound-stage to try and get perfection in. Recently got some entry level headphones (Sennheiser HD 58x) and music sounds amazing so nothing can really top them unless you're doing a full living room theater setup.
Yea, I just started pricing Dynamat, and it is more than I want to spend on sound deadening.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:01 PM   #36
Irace86.2.0

https://caraudiologic.com/dynamat-al...ive-comparison
Old 12-19-2019, 11:54 PM   #37
neilr

Drives: 2018 Cayman, 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I ended up buying the Kenwood DDX919WS.
Where did you end up buying it from? There's a retailer based in Australia (I think) that does some nice comparison videos between the generations of HUs, but I haven't followed through on finding out if they sell to the US.

If you do the install yourself, a writeup would be awesome. I know there are some others on here, but more is better. :-)
neilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:52 AM   #38
Pizzachicken

Drives: Asphalt '16 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Recently installed Sony XAV7000

Since I see the Sony XAV's mentioned a bit, just wanted to share what I recently installed. Was on the same boat as yall, didn't want a cheap Android tablet in my car, and AX7000's minimal look doesn't scream aftermarket too bad. Mounted with modified metra brackets and it doesn't look too off imo, since the HU is pretty bezeless. The Scoche trim didn't fit my '16 FRS.
Attached Images

Pizzachicken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pizzachicken For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (12-20-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 01:13 PM   #39
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilr View Post
Where did you end up buying it from? There's a retailer based in Australia (I think) that does some nice comparison videos between the generations of HUs, but I haven't followed through on finding out if they sell to the US.

If you do the install yourself, a writeup would be awesome. I know there are some others on here, but more is better. :-)
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...=119040&page=9

From this thread, the two most common places were the Austrailia based Carbon Car Systems and the Malasian based Fasmoto. I bought mine through Amazon via Fasmoto. I did this mainly because I was going for a locker delivery, but that wasn't available, and because Amazon's return policies give me piece of mind.

I am still trying to figure out what harnesses I'll need. From the thread above, it is hard to tell if this system is mostly plug and play with a few exceptions. It appears that there would be a need for an antenna adapter, the adapter to hook into the stock USB, and if someone has a rear back up camera with 6V like OEM then a 12v to 6V adapter. I'm still researching this.

@YamahaR86

I bought the Noico 80mil sound deadening mat (36sqft). I also bought tape and a roller. I plan on doing the doors and the trunk and then I will see how much material is left over. Did you do any of the plastics and did you do inside the door? I don't know if I want to pull the carpet, front seats, headliner, etc to do the whole car, but would imagine that I would need at least another roll or two to do that. What did you do and did you just do patches of matting or full covering? I hear that it isn't necessary to lay it down completely; 25% coverage on a panel might be enough to reduce 90% of what full coverage would do--something like that.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:51 PM   #40
Irace86.2.0

I purchased the adapters:

--Metra 40-LX11 Toyota antenna adapter (blue wire isn't used)

--PAC USB-TY1 USB retention cable

--Since I will be installing an aftermarket backup camera, a 12v-6v adapter isn't necessary.

--I might be getting the Kenwood dash cam, but I haven't decided yet. My wife might get if for me for Christmas too.
Old 12-20-2019, 03:47 PM   #41
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Quote:

@YamahaR86

I bought the Noico 80mil sound deadening mat (36sqft). I also bought tape and a roller. I plan on doing the doors and the trunk and then I will see how much material is left over. Did you do any of the plastics and did you do inside the door? I don't know if I want to pull the carpet, front seats, headliner, etc to do the whole car, but would imagine that I would need at least another roll or two to do that. What did you do and did you just do patches of matting or full covering? I hear that it isn't necessary to lay it down completely; 25% coverage on a panel might be enough to reduce 90% of what full coverage would do--something like that.

36 Sq Ft is what I used as well. I removed the door panels and did the doors and inside (where the windows rest, was kind of a pain). Removed the backseat side panels and did those. Can't remember if I did the bottom of the rear seats but they're easy to remove.

I also did the rear shelf (where the 3rd brake light sits). In the trunk looking upwards where the trunk light is, the trunk itself (my first gen base model doesn't have one of those fancy liners and lastly under the trunk mat where the spare tire sits.

I would think you need another roll or two if you wanted to do the roof and floor, but like you mentioned I've never removed those items before and not sure if it's held on by a glue that I don't want to disturb. I did mention earlier when I park under trees and acorns fall on my roof I can hear the stock "ding" sound instead of a solid "thump" when you don't have the deadening. It's pretty interesting, you should experiment by knocking lightly on a panel that doesn't have the sound deadening, apply it and then knock lightly again to hear the difference.

I cut mine up into weird squares and rectangles and slapped them on. There is about an inch between each strip or so it looks a little odd but you can't really see it (the trunk one you can).

Quote:
I purchased the adapters:

--Metra 40-LX11 Toyota antenna adapter (blue wire isn't used)

--PAC USB-TY1 USB retention cable

--Since I will be installing an aftermarket backup camera, a 12v-6v adapter isn't necessary.

--I might be getting the Kenwood dash cam, but I haven't decided yet. My wife might get if for me for Christmas too.

I used Metra 40-LX11 as well, different USB though. I wanted the ability to use AUX if I had to and my "premium" 2013 one didn't have the cable for some reason. I used Metra AX-USB-35EXT.
Irace86.2.0 (12-20-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 04:05 PM   #42
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
36 Sq Ft is what I used as well. I removed the door panels and did the doors and inside (where the windows rest, was kind of a pain). Removed the backseat side panels and did those. Can't remember if I did the bottom of the rear seats but they're easy to remove.

I also did the rear shelf (where the 3rd brake light sits). In the trunk looking upwards where the trunk light is, the trunk itself (my first gen base model doesn't have one of those fancy liners and lastly under the trunk mat where the spare tire sits.

I would think you need another roll or two if you wanted to do the roof and floor, but like you mentioned I've never removed those items before and not sure if it's held on by a glue that I don't want to disturb. I did mention earlier when I park under trees and acorns fall on my roof I can hear the stock "ding" sound instead of a solid "thump" when you don't have the deadening. It's pretty interesting, you should experiment by knocking lightly on a panel that doesn't have the sound deadening, apply it and then knock lightly again to hear the difference.

I cut mine up into weird squares and rectangles and slapped them on. There is about an inch between each strip or so it looks a little odd but you can't really see it (the trunk one you can).

I used Metra 40-LX11 as well, different USB though. I wanted the ability to use AUX if I had to and my "premium" 2013 one didn't have the cable for some reason. I used Metra AX-USB-35EXT.
I haven't used the Aux cable at all since owning the car. Because of Bluetooth and USB, it was never necessary.

I believe I will be doing the same spots you said, but I was also considering lining some plastic trim. Did you do any of those?