follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 03-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
FR-Sh86

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Angry Attempted Break-in downtown...ughh

The story: I was invited to a friend's birthday gathering and decided to take my sister, whom also celebrated a birthday recently. As part of the plan, I parked on the northbound shoulder of Spadina just south of Dundas last night for roughly 3 hours. The car is BONE STOCK with nothing special inside right down to the OEM non-touchscreen head unit. Also note, I had the factory alarm enabled and armed when the car was left. That said, at the end of the night, I walked back to my car to find it in this condition:

What. the. Fuck.

Blood splatter surrounding the passenger window, crack/dirt smudges all over the glass and rips all of over the weather stripping. Worse: this morning I wake up to inspect the damages more closely under daylight and there are dents and scraped paint down to the metal all over the door.

I feel like my mind is slowly degenerating into a sad, mental mess right now. You don't do anything to wrong anyone. You work your ass off putting in 40+ hours/week in addition to attending full-time grad school and decide to take your first fucking night out in weeks to put the work down and relax...not to mention the whole point of the outing was to celebrate your friend's and sister's birthdays...and THIS. THIS is the fucking shit society that you are rewarded with living as part of.

I don't know where I would be right now if I caught the individual who did this in the act. Sorry for the rant but I really need to blow some steam as I sit here at work on the verge of breaking down.
FR-Sh86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
project d

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB
Sorry to hear bout this...

I would notify police / insurance ASAP

I had some prick(s) in my condo KEY my car multiple times. Was going to buy a spy cam and catch the bastard.

But too much time and effort to review all the hours of recording.

GL
project d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to project d For This Useful Post:
FR-Sh86 (03-23-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 04:48 PM   #3
FiRStsc10n
Canadian FR-S Member

Drives: FR-S '10 Series'
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Ugh sorry to hear man. I don't understand society either sometimes. It's sad when there has to be "Hope for Humanity" social media accounts just to show good deeds caught on camera because they are so rare in a sea of misdeeds.

I wouldn't stress to hard about it, it is not your fault, and it will all be fixable. Hang in there.
FiRStsc10n is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FiRStsc10n For This Useful Post:
FR-Sh86 (03-23-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #4
headlikeahole

Drives: Ultramarine toyobaru
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I really hope you contacted the police and had them generate a report... If you can give the insurance company a report # then it's a no fault claim and won't effect your rate. Without a report number the insurance is free to increase your rate as there is no proof to back your claim.

You'll be on the hook for your deductible but that's it.
headlikeahole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to headlikeahole For This Useful Post:
FR-Sh86 (03-23-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 05:43 PM   #5
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
This one reason that I leave my truck unlocked all the time.

I would rather someone get in it and find that there is nothing to steal than break something to get in and find nothing...

With a bone stock BRZ I often leave it unlocked at the store even windows open because I figure what could someone possibly want to steal?
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stugray For This Useful Post:
FR-Sh86 (03-23-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 05:55 PM   #6
FR-Sh86

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series
Thanks everyone. I filed a police report online and just got off the phone with the insurance company. The agent suggested that these types of claims are generally handled as no-fault when I asked about the potential for affecting my premium (appreciate the advice @headlikeahole).

I feel a bit better about the situation now. At least this experience will serve as a head up to other owners in the GTA as I have noticed a few of the twins parked in that area during various times of the day. It may have just been been bad luck, but considering my car was sitting in the parked curb of a public street with a few much more higher priced vehicles, I don't want to rule out the possibility that the car was perceived as an easy target. I had nothing on/in the car so if you're packing mods or anything visible that may give thieves a reason to break-in, I'd suggest thinking twice before leaving your car unattended in the Chinatown area.
FR-Sh86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:07 PM   #7
congee

Drives: SSM BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Sh86 View Post
Thanks everyone. I filed a police report online and just got off the phone with the insurance company. The agent suggested that these types of claims are generally handled as no-fault when I asked about the potential for affecting my premium (appreciate the advice @headlikeahole).

I feel a bit better about the situation now. At least this experience will serve as a head up to other owners in the GTA as I have noticed a few of the twins parked in that area during various times of the day. It may have just been been bad luck, but considering my car was sitting in the parked curb of a public street with a few much more higher priced vehicles, I don't want to rule out the possibility that the car was perceived as an easy target. I had nothing on/in the car so if you're packing mods or anything visible that may give thieves a reason to break-in, I'd suggest thinking twice before leaving your car unattended in the Chinatown area.
That's horrible. This is why I always park indoors whenever i'm downtown, especially around chinatown. Too many homeless/drunk people on the streets. I once saw some heavy metal punk jump onto parked cars along queen and try to dent the roofs for no reason. All the crazys are gathered up downtown, especially at night.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:45 PM   #8
Kazuya

Drives: Takumi
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Sh86 View Post

I parked there sometimes and i always look around before i leave my car, whenever a punk or some homeless guy sees me beep my car, i give them a dirty look.

My mothers corolla was keyed in that area so i am not surprised you got it too. But i am glad insurance is taking care of it.
Kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:59 AM   #9
daftpunk

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Damn, I'm sorry to hear what happened. Downtown is full of scumbags and I seriously dread it when I have to drive down there.

Nothing's happened to my FRS (yet) but my old car's been broken into, stolen from, have had the lock punched out, and vandalized. Once I went to see a friend's play in the same area, and came out to see that EVERY car on the street had it's windows smashed. Another time, we came back to my friend's car (a stock camry) with a fire extinguisher through his window.

I'd imagine this happens there on a daily basis.. I'm sorry it had to be you that night.

2013 Firestorm Scion FRS
2005 Civic SI Sedan- Sold
2004 Impreza WRX - Sold
1992 Civic Hatchback - Parted, RIP
daftpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:41 AM   #10
Tdot

Drives: Subaru BRZ
looks like they have been dealing with issues in that area for a while....

http://www.cp24.com/news/police-proj...town-1.1742871
Tdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #11
RFB

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
"Toronto The Good"

I haven't heard that phrase in many years. The powers to be were warned many years ago about the American street gang infiltration and they did NOTHING about it.
Now we have many of our own street gangs as well, with the resulting shootings etc.

That chinatown area used to be a delight to visit - not anymore.

When I have to go anywhere down town I look for street parking with a beggar, wino or homeless person nearby and ask him to watch the car for cash.
Surprisingly it works ! Even with the wacky ones !

Toronto is turning into a third world city.

CERBERUS
RFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #12
joergasm

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2013 - SWP 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Sorry to hear! I absolutely hate parking downtown and I am ALWAYS there. So far for the 1.5 years i've had mine and always been in chinatown and parking on the street and have been so lucky. I usually park at the green p structure north of dundas and spadina. What sucks is the entrance/street to that green p is full of crack heads and bums =\.

I have always thought to put like a homemade pepperspray alarm, windows or doors get smashed and within a few seconds if the secret button is now pressed, pepperspray everywhere ^_^
Old 03-25-2014, 12:52 PM   #13
f0rge
head of infinite swagger

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Come on guys Toronto is not that bad. For every story you hear like this there's a million other people who don't get their car vandalized.

It's just luck of the draw and unfortunately OP parked in the wrong place at the wrong time. This could have just as easily happened on any street or in any parking lot.

OP sorry to hear about your car.
2013 Ultramarine FR-S 6MT - Car Journal - SOLD
2004 AlpineWhite M3 6MT - SOLD
f0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:24 PM   #14
zex

Drives: Subaru WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
My BRZ was the first one broken into ever. And it happened downtown Toronto where I work in broad daylight. Goodluck with everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zex is offline   Reply With Quote