follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-05-2018, 02:31 PM   #351
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
After watching cars-and-coffee Mustang crashes, I'm changing my mind. More power would not ruin the car, stupid drivers would ruin the car. Given what we know of the intent behind the car, they probably made the right decision with the stock HP.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PetrolioBenzina For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 03:50 PM   #352
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Yes you are right. I don't agree with all the laws either. .
Hello nikitopo ........

To help me better understand some of your posts, do you mind sharing some of your personal information ...??

Your profession

Your age

The country where you are residing

Thanks for your consideration.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 05:47 PM   #353
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Well in Canada it is an extensive 6 year apprenticeship mixed with some pretty rough college courses to become a licensed automotive tech. It is not easy and since many tasks require that licence it weeds out the lazy or dumb in a hurry. Now for that same guy to receive mist "certifications" (I.e. Safety check inspector) it is pretty much pay the fee and attend the class. Now since many certifications require the licence first then you have hopefully weeded out those lazy and dumb already. Doesn't mean that some don't slip through though.
T, I wasn't under the impression we were talking about a licensed mechanic here.

Subaru has a mechanic checking the boxes off at the end of the line? Serious question.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 05:51 PM   #354
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Yes you are right. I don't agree with all the laws either. For example, we have here a strange rule and they will not pass a coilover with separate height adjustment from the spring preload. Probably some strange old historical reason. Sometimes it is very restrictive of what you can do and then you hear on the road a very loud factory certified exhaust. Obviously with an exhaust valve. However, I prefer to have rules than nothing.
One of our newest laws is distracted driving. It's original intent was to combat texting and driving, which I'm all for.

Of course, they had to extend that to all kinds of other simple activities people do while driving. I won't enter that debate but lets just say I think they're reaching.
nikitopo (05-06-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 08:38 PM   #355
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,242 Times in 8,610 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
So that I don't appear to be taking sides...

Stop being a D1ck.
No
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Spuds (05-05-2018), Tcoat (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 10:06 PM   #356
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
T, I wasn't under the impression we were talking about a licensed mechanic here.

Subaru has a mechanic checking the boxes off at the end of the line? Serious question.
I based what I said on the use of the word "tech". No they don't use mechanics. It is just an inspector position with special trainning. Since the Japanese law does not dictate what that training must be it could be as simple or complex as the company wants. I have no idea what that actual training is.
On a related note the North American plants have no legal requirement to inspect the cars. They do of course do it for quality reasons. Since many of these plants are union you can rest assured that the position is awarded by seniority not skill or ability. The training is often just sombody showing the new guy what to do. This of course means the inspectors are sometimes nit the best around.
new2subaru (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 10:12 PM   #357
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Quote:
I based what I said on the use of the word "tech". No they don't use mechanics. It is just an inspector position with special trainning. Since the Japanese law does not dictate what that training must be it could be as simple or complex as the company wants. I have no idea what that actual training is.
On a related note the North American plants have no legal requirement to inspect the cars. They do of course do it for quality reasons. Since many of these plants are union you can rest assured that the position is awarded by seniority not skill or ability. The training is often just sombody showing the new guy what to do. This of course means the inspectors are sometimes nit the best around.
Thanks, T. That's what I figured. I didn't read the "story" when it came out. My guess is that Subaru dropped the ball on the training and somehow the press got hold of it and had a hayday. They probably made it sound like every car that came out of the plant was a death trap! I seriously doubt that the cars weren't undergoing a routine inspection before leaving. And, it's unlikely "new guy" was doing the inspections. Like you said seniority rules.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:19 PM   #358
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Hello nikitopo ........

To help me better understand some of your posts, do you mind sharing some of your personal information ...??

Your profession

Your age

The country where you are residing

Thanks for your consideration.

humfrz
How about childhood experiences?
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:28 PM   #359
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
So that I don't appear to be taking sides...

Stop being a D1ck.
[ame]http://youtu.be/he1jY6tYsbM[/ame]
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:29 PM   #360
Tcoat

Quote:
Thanks, T. That's what I figured. I didn't read the "story" when it came out. My guess is that Subaru dropped the ball on the training and somehow the press got hold of it and had a hayday. They probably made it sound like every car that came out of the plant was a death trap! I seriously doubt that the cars weren't undergoing a routine inspection before leaving. And, it's unlikely "new guy" was doing the inspections. Like you said seniority rules.
The inspectors that were signing off on the cars had started their training but had not received final certification (internal to Subaru) yet. They were probably still well able to do the jobs but should not have been signing. Since it came on the tail of several other automotive scandals and consumer concerns over safety (like the whole airbag thing) it was blown way out of proportion. If it had happened any other time it wouldn't even have received a paragraph on the back page of the news. Reading about it in the trade journals you wouldn't even think it was the same story as in the press that requires sensationalism to sell copy or clicks.
new2subaru (05-05-2018), Spuds (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 10:30 PM   #361
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
How about childhood experiences?
Well, ol @nikitopo may wish not to share those, they may bring back painful moments ......

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:32 PM   #362
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Quote:
The inspectors that were signing off on the cars had started their training but had not received final certification (internal to Subaru) yet. They were probably still well able to do the jobs but should not have been signing. Since it came on the tail of several other automotive scandals and consumer concerns over safety (like the whole airbag thing) it was blown way out of proportion. If it had happened any other time it wouldn't even have received a paragraph on the back page of the news. Reading about it in the trade journals you wouldn't even think it was the same story as in the press that requires sensationalism to sell copy or clicks.
Thanks, once again things get blown way out of proportion. Wouldn't it be a nice change just to get the straight poop? No ratings, no constant repetition, just the latest news.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:47 PM   #363
Tcoat

Quote:
Thanks, once again things get blown way out of proportion. Wouldn't it be a nice change just to get the straight poop? No ratings, no constant repetition, just the latest news.
That is what the trade journals are for. They give the straight facts from real sources. People don't want to hear the base info and would much rather hear from "insider in the know" or "uncovered information". They are much more entertaining than some boring facts. That and everybody now figures there must be an ulterior motive or conspiracy behind every action a company takes. I sometimes think that many here believe that the whole auto industry is run by a couple of people that know everything that happens every minute. It can't possibly be that some mid manager in a training department forgot to say "Oh and don't sign anything just yet".
new2subaru (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 11:09 PM   #364
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Quote:
That is what the trade journals are for. They give the straight facts from real sources. People don't want to hear the base info and would much rather hear from "insider in the know" or "uncovered information". They are much more entertaining than some boring facts. That and everybody now figures there must be an ulterior motive or conspiracy behind every action a company takes. I sometimes think that many here believe that the whole auto industry is run by a couple of people that know everything that happens every minute. It can't possibly be that some mid manager in a training department forgot to say "Oh and don't sign anything just yet".
I like facts and dislike "stories" As far as conspiracy theories go, meh, no time for that nonsense lol

A lot of people eat this shit up though and that's why they have jobs...
Tcoat (05-05-2018)