follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 07-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #15
mtimney

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thank you all for the advice. I appreciate your input and will put it to use at my next autox August 4th.
mtimney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #16
GTB/ZR-1

Drives: '13 BRZ in WRB--let's mod!!!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sccabrz192 View Post
Whether you are a hair over or a mile over if you are over on your entry speed, you will under steer or push. Slow in fast out is the mantra you need to start with to learn. 5 mph too slow on the entry is better than 0.5 mph over.
And nails it again...

I'm surprised when I get in the car w/ people that have years of experience that still do this. the 2 main things I preach: in slow--out fast & LOOK AHEAD!
GTB/ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #17
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
You are overcooking corner entries.
Yeah, it still gets me and I have a hard time dealing with the fact, that sometimes you go faster by going slower.
Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #18
Element Tuning

Drives: Hydra EMS Powered FRS Raven Black
Thanked 1,021 Times in 365 Posts
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Well I say continue to go fast in but fix your car to accept it

With that said make sure you have all your driving aids off. Like others I always felt stock with race tires that I always had way more grip and steering inout than I had rear grip. I was always chasing the ass around until I added aero.
Element Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Element Tuning For This Useful Post:
aCab (07-26-2013), solidONE (07-26-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #19
3essess

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Check to make sure your traction control FULLY off. If not, it will push a LOT more than when it's fully disabled.
3essess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:22 PM   #20
track junkie

Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Whether you are a hair over or a mile over if you are over on your entry speed, you will under steer or push. Slow in fast out is the mantra you need to start with to learn. 5 mph too slow on the entry is better than 0.5 mph over.

Reason is if you enter slow, you can get on the throttle earlier and make some of the lost time back. Earlier throttle can also induce throttle on oversteer and rotate the car. If you enter with too much speed, all you can do is sit there and wait. If you enter with too much speed, you will find the more steering angle you use will not provide any additional turning of the car until it has slowed appropriately... You use the scrubbing of the front tires to finish breaking.

Are you serious?
track junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:40 PM   #21
track junkie

Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ
This is helpful.
http://books.google.com/books?id=ETi...20slow&f=false

Third paragraph from the bottom page 258.
"You should aim to enter the turn just slightly faster than the traction limit dictates...." According to this pro coach.
track junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:24 AM   #22
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by track junkie View Post
Are you serious?
Are you serious?
Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:05 AM   #23
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Pay attention to what the car is doing. Slow down and round off your turns. You can't make the car turn more than it is capable of turning.

If it starts to push, let off the throttle and unwind the wheel.

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:46 AM   #24
Sccabrz192
Detroit Region, MI

Drives: 13 BRZ, 13 Volt, 02 WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by track junkie View Post
Are you serious?
Yes, you will be much more successful giving up just a little bit at every turn than hard charging and overdriving a corner or two, the goal is to minimize time lost by mistakes. The proper way to start learning is build to the limit, not blowing through turns and trying to slow down more and more and more to get back to the limit, plus your tires wont be destroyed after 2 events.

Sure, there are techniques to minimize errors when you come in hot to a turn but when you are learning thats not the right way to learn. Agree with whataboutbob. If you do come in too hot what I meant by "waiting" is exactly what he describes, let off the throttle and unwind the wheel until you are within the traction limit of the tires.
2005-06: #192 ES 91 MR2 N/A Hardtop
2007-08: #54 STX 05 WRX Sedan
2009-12: #92 BSP/ASP 07 Solstice GXP
2013-14 : #192 CS 13 Subaru BRZ
Sccabrz192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #25
Element Tuning

Drives: Hydra EMS Powered FRS Raven Black
Thanked 1,021 Times in 365 Posts
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
What some of the more experienced drivers are trying to explain is that going fast for a given setup is maximizing grip which means maintaining the contact patch with the tire and finding the best line that provides the most grip.

Part of maintaining the contact patch is to manage your weight transfer properly and to do this you often need to slow down your inputs. So it's possible the OP is hard on the brakes, then hard off, then a quick agressive steering input along with throttle application (so weight transfer from one tire to the other is too abrupt). So he could be very quickly unloading the weight from the front tires, tranfering to the rear, so too much mechanical grip (weight) is lost off the front resulting in understeer as more weight moves to the rear increasing grip there.

I tend to brake into my turn (trail brake) which keeps the weight on the front tires as you turn in but also makes the rear lighter which helps rotate the car. As I need more rear grip i'll ease of the brakes and ease into the throttle. Transferring weight to the contanct patch I need the most grip at.

Last edited by Element Tuning; 07-29-2013 at 11:47 PM. Reason: typos
Element Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #26
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feldy View Post
If you dive bomb the corners and are still in the brakes while turning you are going to push wide.
Isn't staying on the brakes while turning just trail-braking? In autocross, when I'm over my ideal corner entry speed, I find it better to stay on the brakes while turning to induce turn-in and rotation. I would think lifting off the brakes would just make the understeer worse, unless this has something to do with how ABS or EBD operate -- perhaps try to keep you in a straight line. I might be mis-reading your comment though.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #27
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
I found that my factory FR-S pushed at turn in as well even with uprated tires, understeer is even more pronounced under trail breaking. It would then oversteer mid turn when throttle was applied, but that's another issue. I'm sure one can compensate for this with technique, but it's not ideal. cough* @CSG Mike cough* After adding some negative camber at the front wheels, turn in was very noticably better. You may want to look into some camber bolts. I used SPC bolts and they were worth every penny and then some. IMHO

Edit: Okay so you have already added camber. My current set up with just the front camber, I don't feel much understeer with stock or RS3 Hankook tires, although the oversteering with even the slightest throttle mid corner has stayed the same. I was able to remedy this by unhooking the rear sway bar. I decided that I should learn to deal with (compensate by adjusting throttle and steering input) the oversteer with the rear sway bar still hooked up since I didnt like the sloshy feel of the rear when it was unhooked. While this is not the same problem you are having, I think it would be a good idea to adjust your inputs to compensate until you find a solution. I think this approach will make you a better driver in the long run.

Last edited by solidONE; 07-26-2013 at 12:23 PM.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #28
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Slow in, fast out becomes fast in, faster out with experience.

Agreed with Phil below on smoothness being key. Especially with cars on stock or soft springs that are in reality very progressive since they are bumpstop active. That can be a very sharp ramp up in spring rate that suddenly overloads the tires and it's just exaggerated if you're not being smooth.

That's my guess as to why we hear a lot of people talking about corner entry understeer, then sudden mid-corner oversteer.

- Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element Tuning View Post
What some of the more experienced drivers are trying to explain is that going fast for a given setup is maximizing grip which means maintaining the contact patch with the tire and finding the best line that provides the most grip.

Part of maintaining the contact patch is to manage your wait transfer properly and to do this you often need to slow down your inputs. So it's possible the OP is hard on the brakes, then hard off, then a quick agressive steering input along with throttle application (so weight transfer from one tire to the other is too abrupt). So he could be very quickly unloading the weight from the front tires, tranfering to the rear, so too much mechanical grip (weight) is lost off the front resulting in understeer as more weight moves to the rear increasing grip there.

I tend to brake into my turn (trail brake) which keeps the weight on the front tires as you turn in but also makes the rear lighter which helps rotate the car. As I need more rear grip i'll ease of the brakes and ease into the throttle. Tranfering weight to the contanct patch I need the most grip at.
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (07-26-2013), solidONE (07-26-2013), wrussi (01-22-2014)