follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
go_a_way1, MisterSheep, Sarlacc

Old 12-03-2015, 11:36 AM   #561
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
True but think of things like resolution support, color gamut, response time, and refresh rate.
All things typically supported better by monitors vs TV.

Yep. My monitor has display port, hdmi, dvi.

PC: Display port
2nd PC: DVI
XBox: HDMI

Bingo bango, done
Maybe 10 years ago. LEDs are as good as they need to be for gaming. As for resolution. 4k TVs are the same res as monitors aren't they? I prefer my 1080p/1920x1080.
Refresh rate should be 6ms or less for gaming. LED screen...LED monitor. T.V. > PC monitor imo. I have had 3 LED TVs now and still prefer the them hands down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2015, 11:38 AM   #562
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife26 View Post
I have used leds for like 8 years now. I can't see paying a monitor anymore. 32" is the perfect size screen. You can plug everything into it. Switch to Xbox or firestick or a second pc. You can do that with a monitor too and get a better image quality too.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Monitor image quality > TV Image Quality especially for gaming.

And hum you realize you can plug anything with a HDMI cable into a monitor right, hell I can run my SNES on my pc monitor if I choose to. fixed your statement for you
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:45 AM   #563
fumanchu1

Quote:
Maybe 10 years ago. LEDs are as good as they need to be for gaming. As for resolution. 4k TVs are the same res as monitors aren't they? I prefer my 1080p/1920x1080.
Refresh rate should be 6ms or less for gaming. LED screen...LED monitor. T.V. > PC monitor imo. I have had 3 LED TVs now and still prefer the them hands down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk
No they are not, just look at the specs of a tv compared to a monitor and you will see some noticeable differences, also most tv that are affordable (since you mention price vs size) are TN panels if you move to an IPS panel then the price goes up dramatically (same is true for monitors).

Your opinion is you prefer TV's and that is fine but factually and based on specs; monitors > TV always
Old 12-03-2015, 11:50 AM   #564
Strife26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu1 View Post
No they are not, just look at the specs of a tv compared to a monitor and you will see some noticeable differences, also most tv that are affordable (since you mention price vs size) are TN panels if you move to an IPS panel then the price goes up dramatically (same is true for monitors).

Your opinion is you prefer TV's and that is fine but factually and based on specs; monitors > TV always
Specs - 32" Vs 24". I prefer the bigger screen. As for specs how many can our eyes actually see? Refresh rate isn't noticeable passed 6ms. Resolution I can't speak for, but for now I am happy with 1080p.
And yes, once again this is my opinion/preference to me led TV > monitor. I made the switch 10 years ago and haven't gone back to monitors other than for my work pc.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:50 AM   #565
ButeraFRS

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
The TV's of today are perfectly fine for gaming.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 11:57 AM   #566
Strife26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu1 View Post
Monitor image quality > TV Image Quality especially for gaming.

And hum you realize you can plug anything with a HDMI cable into a monitor right, hell I can run my SNES on my pc monitor if I choose to. fixed your statement for you
Sure. You can get adapters. If something doesn't have an HDMI port you can't plug it in without adapters.

You're too kind to "fix my statement" but you didn't really. Thanks for the attempt though.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:57 AM   #567
fumanchu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButeraFRS View Post
I agree with your statement they are fine/good for gaming. What I was getting at is that he had said TV's were better than monitors which is not accurate.

Both are completely acceptable but one will always be a bit better than the other.

Kind of like an xbox one/ps4/steam machine/tablet can do all the jobs a pc can do put the pc still does it best.

Is a tv more convenient yes does it provide a crisper image vs a monitor? no anyways enough about this anyone play the new assassins creed? I got it for free with my gpu purchase and was wondering if it was even worth it to start playing it.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:00 PM   #568
Strife26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButeraFRS View Post
This is one those, "I have special ears/I'm an audiophile" things. Monitorphiles have ultra vision. The difference is neglible for some of us. It looks good on either screen. My TV has apps on it, 4 HDMI ports and more. It's my preference. If you like monitors, cool. They are fine for the job too.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:00 PM   #569
fumanchu1

Quote:
Sure. You can get adapters. If something doesn't have an HDMI port you can't plug it in without adapters.

You're too kind to "fix my statement" but you didn't really. Thanks for the attempt though.

But I did because you said that a monitor couldn't do it, and it can and it can doing it marginally better although less conveniently as you pointed out.

It's all about sheer performance vs convenience; specific vs general; complex vs simple.

Btw I went the other way around and sold my tv a while ago, everything I watch or do is on a pc monitor. To each his own I guess
The Following User Says Thank You to fumanchu1 For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 12:07 PM   #570
fumanchu1

I am in no way an audiophile or a monitorphile whatever the hell that is.
Go and try a really high end pair of headphones running through a boutique system worth the price of your car and tell me you can't notice a difference from the 200$ sony boombox with shitty headphones (seriously though you don't know/can't tell the difference if you haven't listened to both.

now the performance vs price point is ridiculous and not worth it but if money is no object than yes they provide a much clearer and crisper sound.
Also I was not the one who started this, you are the one that said TV's were superior to monitor which they aren't so I refuted. Whatever you prefer is fine but it doesn't change the fact that the specs of a monitor will almost always be superior of a comparable tv.

You even state the difference is negligeable which means there is a difference, and that was the point I was making. Whichever is your preference is fine but don't state something is better than another based on that preference especially if the specs do not back that up.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:11 PM   #571
fumanchu1

Basically I'm arguing the fine point of your statement (I have time to burn lol) but yes both are fine
Old 12-03-2015, 12:19 PM   #572
Strife26

I was being a smart ass regarding "Philes." The point is that both work. I prefer a TV. I was looking at the specs and I don't see where monitors are superior in anyway. It's a tradeoff and obviously comes down to preference. The screens I've had work for me. I haven't read, researched or seen anything that makes me want a monitor.

The Following User Says Thank You to Strife26 For This Useful Post:
fumanchu1 (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 02:35 PM   #573
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
@Strife26 TV's are fine and they work for playing games.

But when it comes to the fine points monitors are superior without a doubt.

TV refresh rates are not as good as monitors. You can talk about TV refresh rate being good enough but they are most definitely not as good as monitors and you will notice ghosting on most TV's. Published refresh rates mean little as they are highly suspect and real world testing has shown that they are often very inaccurate.

TV's, unless you are buying very high end (with the best panels, local dimming, HDR, etc) will not perform nearly as well as purpose built moitors.

TV's are built to run their native resolutions (4k, 1080p, etc..) so they often do not look as good when running non native resolutions. Monitors can suffer similar affects but they also have better resolution support as they are built to run on more than one resolution.

Input lag is another big thing most people dont take into account. TV's suffer from this more severely than most monitors. Input lag is the total time from when you initiate an action to the time you see it happen on screen.
TV's are better than they used to be but even todays LED TV's still suffer from increased input lag.

TV's get the job done and there is nothing wrong with them.
But serious gamers, especially any FPS or fast twitch type game, use monitors.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tennisfreak For This Useful Post:
fumanchu1 (12-03-2015), Sideways&Smiling (12-07-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 04:36 PM   #574
Strife26

Do they wear the gamer glasses too?

Tags
pc master race, u no have 3080