follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
tibsy92

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Thunder Silver MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
that chirp.. may be a logical reason. its normal. put it to rest.

Chirps come from anything that is rotating so it could be a belt that is rubbing against metal.

There could be humidity from heat causing the pullies to squeek or chirp..I've noticed the chirp more when the engine is warmed up.. The following video states it may be the belt tensioner.. it does appear to vibrate quite a bit.

This seems to be the cause:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZC_XsJuZ20"]FR-S BRZ Belt Tensioner.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

This is the sound:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK_4uZz-oQo&feature=related"]BRZ Chirping - YouTube[/ame]

Toyota mechanic seems to agree however await a full response from the heads as they're aware.
previous VW had same sound due to a V-Belt being loose and because it was a watercooled engine and all vw watercooled engine made a similar sound apparently.. which is true they did sound similar when warmed up.

Last edited by tibsy92; 07-28-2012 at 08:09 PM.
tibsy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
Zadkiel

Drives: CBS BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Discussed to death. I believe Toyota/Subaru even said that it's a normal noise from the DI system.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
tibsy92

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zadkiel View Post
Discussed to death. I believe Toyota/Subaru even said that it's a normal noise from the DI system.
pretty much.. just pointing out to people its normal.. move on.. put their worries to rest.. etc.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Agreed that the sound in the video is somewhat expected and supposedly related to the DI. That's how my car sounds after eliminating ethanol blended fuel. On the other hand, the cricket sound is not expected as normal engine noise and not acceptable to many people.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
It's been identified as a washer in the high pressure fuel pump that is normally lubricated by the gas but US gas doesn't have the correct additives. It's been beat to death in other threads. Honestly I don't see why it's such a huge issue... cars make noise. If I wanted a silent car I'd buy a leaf.

Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
Sony

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ MT Limited
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceywilly View Post
It's been identified as a washer in the high pressure fuel pump that is normally lubricated by the gas but US gas doesn't have the correct additives. It's been beat to death in other threads. Honestly I don't see why it's such a huge issue... cars make noise. If I wanted a silent car I'd buy a leaf.
Well for me, A) If the washer isn't properly lubricated by the fuel...does that mean it's sending metal shavings into my engine? B) The car sounds like it has a worn out fanbelt all the time...kinda annoying.
Sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:06 PM   #7
Blue86

Drives: Sonic Blue 86GT Manual
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony View Post
Well for me, A) If the washer isn't properly lubricated by the fuel...does that mean it's sending metal shavings into my engine? B) The car sounds like it has a worn out fanbelt all the time...kinda annoying.
No.
Blue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue86 For This Useful Post:
Spaceywilly (07-28-2012)
Old 07-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
Sony

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ MT Limited
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue86 View Post
No.
Well that's good for A...but B still pisses me off... My pickup truck has 80k+ miles on the original fan belt and it doesn't sound like that.
Sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:16 PM   #9
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony View Post
I guess I just don't see why it's annoying. If it was a worn out fan belt causing the noise, that would be annoying. But since it's just a normal noise that isn't going to some day cause a failure, I just don't think it's an issue. I can only hear it if I'm outside the car or driving next to a wall that reflects back the noise, so it's not like it's driving me nuts all the time.

Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:47 PM   #10
Superhatch
AIM4APX

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Cars make noise, but I think the issue is that nobody has ever heard this noise before, and lots of us are car guys. I've heard lots of DI systems, but haven't ever heard this sound on any of them (ticking yes, chirping no). With this washer not lubricated does it mean it will wear quicker than expected?

Have you every had to replace a DI pump?...they are not cheap.

I think the issue is far from a resolution. Some dealerships have replaced pumps to fix the issue under Toyota's advice, others have said it's normal, also claiming that statement is from Toyota.

Regardless of that, two videos and some anecdotal ramblings on a web forum by one person don't make for a closed case. B- for effort.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:21 AM   #11
tibsy92

Garage
US and AUS seem to have diff fuel supplies. TMCA have said it has nothing to do with fuel articulates. They tightened the belts and the sound is gone now.. in our case down under. Even tho its been overkilled people still seem to question and be pissed by it.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #12
Superhatch
AIM4APX

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
But this is the point. If belt tension is the only issue, why isn't that a distinct answer from Toyota? Why isn't there a TSB covering it?

Until Toyota/Subaru have a company wide answer this will remain on my list as a potential problem.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #13
adprokid

Drives: ZN6 / GDB-G
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
i like that sound, the car should be taken to the dealer if it doesn't chirp, something could be wrong.
adprokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #14
post_break
Professional Smartass

Drives: White Out FRS
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Garage
It's not the tensioner. Me and my friend used a mic to pinpoint it to the washer that is well documented.

post_break is offline   Reply With Quote