follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-22-2017, 12:08 AM   #155
Dawan
Le Ingenieur

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Aozora
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
It depends. Right after a track day, they dont squeal at all. But as you use them on the street the become louder as the days pass. After two weeks, they are on full blast mode. The squeal is mainly with light/moderate pressure, but applying hard pressure to make them quiet might have the side effect of people ramming into you and your face meeting the wheel, as they bite quite hard, even when cold.
I see, I had problems with the HC800 beyond fast wear, the friction material delaminated from the backing plate.
Attached Images

Dawan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dawan For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 09:39 AM   #156
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawan View Post
I see, I had problems with the HC800 beyond fast wear, the friction material delaminated from the backing plate.
I've never seen that with the Hawks. Im on my 4th set of DTC-60, and you can wear them right until the backing plate and they stay in one piece. In fact, the ones I took off after my last track day had less than 1mm left, and they still were good regarding their shape and attachment to the plate.

Mind you tho, I run brake ducts, and a heavy aero car with little power (NA bolt-ons, and not great ones at that). So I dont brake that much, most of the time, my braking distance is barely enough to complete downshifting, sometimes not even enough.

But I did run the hawks before having ducts and more aero, and they still worked fine. They do wear faster without the ducting, lasting around 50% less (3-5 events max).
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
Dawan (08-24-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 03:37 PM   #157
csuzuki

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I had that happen to the same pads aswell.

I bought a set of project mu 999 and they were awesome, would highly recommend them.
csuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to csuzuki For This Useful Post:
Dawan (08-24-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 04:01 PM   #158
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Do they squeal like crazy? I have friends on that type of caliber of pad, Endless ME22/20 and the ME20s squeal like crazy on the street basically no matter how much brakes have been applied. I can handle minor squeal at low to medium brake pressure like the HC800s on the street.
Throwing Gloc/Carbotech in the ring, R10/XP10 gets recommended a lot as an entry level full track pad for 86-sized cars. I have a set and they were way overkill for my newb ass on track (but I roasted OE pads/fluid on my 2nd track day so not totally useless), DD'd them for a little while and it was good if they were bedded in (for a few days after a track session or a day after autox), but got louder with light pressure as the transfer layer wore off, harder brake pressure lessened the noise. I believe if you can keep them bedded in they would be totally reasonable to DD, I just didn't track enough nor do I feel comfortable bedding them in on the street.

I would think HC800 is somewhere around the R6/AX6 lineup which is manageable on the street but not up to full track duty unless you're not pushing hard. Lots of options out there like Ferodo and Winmax that have been tested on 86's.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23680
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Dawan (08-24-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 09:31 PM   #159
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quote:
I have only tried Hawk pads well enough (easy, cheap and fast to get around here). The DTC-60, while its a race pad, can be used daily, it will be a bit harder on rotors, but rotors should still last you as much as pads (cheap blanks, nothing fancy). My DTC-60s can do 5-8 track days depending on the tracks Im doing before they get too thin for my liking, then I keep them as "spare" pads. I just did another 2 days on a "spare" set before they got to the metal backing plate, so to be safe I'd say 6-9 track days, averaging 2 hours of track each day, + a couple of months of daily.

I wouldnt recommend hybrid pads (DTC-30 or Street/Race for example), because while they might work, they last a lot less than race pads when used on track.
HC+800 is an aggressive street pad and very entry level track pad at best. DTC-60 and DTC-70 are considered your standard track pad with very high coefficient of friction.

Quote:
I've never seen that with the Hawks. Im on my 4th set of DTC-60, and you can wear them right until the backing plate and they stay in one piece. In fact, the ones I took off after my last track day had less than 1mm left, and they still were good regarding their shape and attachment to the plate.

Mind you tho, I run brake ducts, and a heavy aero car with little power (NA bolt-ons, and not great ones at that). So I dont brake that much, most of the time, my braking distance is barely enough to complete downshifting, sometimes not even enough.

But I did run the hawks before having ducts and more aero, and they still worked fine. They do wear faster without the ducting, lasting around 50% less (3-5 events max).
With sufficient heat and overuse outside the optimal temperature range, you will see additional wear and possible delamination as the brake pad compound was never meant to be used in that fashion. Paired with brake fade and excessive ABS usage, you'll see these failures happen at a much more rapid rate. Ducting is a bandaid to issues. Motorsports usage attempts to reduce the use of brake ducting as much as possible. The reasons for brake ducting is actually much different from what most people thinking they are used for.
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CounterSpace Garage For This Useful Post:
Dawan (08-24-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 09:33 PM   #160
CounterSpace Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Throwing Gloc/Carbotech in the ring, R10/XP10 gets recommended a lot as an entry level full track pad for 86-sized cars. I have a set and they were way overkill for my newb ass on track (but I roasted OE pads/fluid on my 2nd track day so not totally useless), DD'd them for a little while and it was good if they were bedded in (for a few days after a track session or a day after autox), but got louder with light pressure as the transfer layer wore off, harder brake pressure lessened the noise. I believe if you can keep them bedded in they would be totally reasonable to DD, I just didn't track enough nor do I feel comfortable bedding them in on the street.

I would think HC800 is somewhere around the R6/AX6 lineup which is manageable on the street but not up to full track duty unless you're not pushing hard. Lots of options out there like Ferodo and Winmax that have been tested on 86's.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23680
G-LOC R10, Carbotech XP10, Project Mu CR, Hawk DTC-60/70, Winmax W5, etc. are all entry level track pads to work with. Anybody with significant pace will wear them faster due to higher heat generation from various factors including friction coefficient causing higher energy transfer, high grip tires forcing the brakes to work harder, and certain courses with very minimal time to reduce average brake temperature to the optimal temp region. There are brake pad compounds available that can survive much better, but few are willing to fork the proper funding to get them. However, with the proper pads, wonderful things can happen.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CounterSpace Garage For This Useful Post:
Dawan (08-24-2017), strat61caster (08-22-2017), Teseo (08-25-2017), wparsons (08-22-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 06:23 PM   #161
Dawan
Le Ingenieur

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Aozora
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterSpace Garage View Post
G-LOC R10, Carbotech XP10, Project Mu CR, Hawk DTC-60/70, Winmax W5, etc. are all entry level track pads to work with. Anybody with significant pace will wear them faster due to higher heat generation from various factors including friction coefficient causing higher energy transfer, high grip tires forcing the brakes to work harder, and certain courses with very minimal time to reduce average brake temperature to the optimal temp region. There are brake pad compounds available that can survive much better, but few are willing to fork the proper funding to get them. However, with the proper pads, wonderful things can happen.
What is something you guys at CSG would recommend, I have been looking at RSF01/02 and Endless ME20/22 to upgrade to. Keeping in mind that I am running MPSS at 245/35/18.
Dawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:28 PM   #162
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Quote:
What is something you guys at CSG would recommend, I have been looking at RSF01/02 and Endless ME20/22 to upgrade to. Keeping in mind that I am running MPSS at 245/35/18.
Those are very good brake pads, but the tires are going to be your limiting factor. MPSS cannot survive high pace usage for extended periods of time. Depending on your driving experience, you can either take advantage of the brake pad specialties, or really just keep the brakes from dying due to overusing the tires. You'll easily find more consistency with those pads on high grip street tire or R-Comp.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:53 PM   #163
AFRichZC6

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterSpace Garage View Post
Ducting is a bandaid to issues. Motorsports usage attempts to reduce the use of brake ducting as much as possible. The reasons for brake ducting is actually much different from what most people thinking they are used for.
What are the other reasons for brake ducting?
AFRichZC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:39 PM   #164
mabviper

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm also shopping for a new brake pad compound. I run DS2500 front and rear with Nankang NS2Rs 120 tires.

The pads lasted 6 or so track days. Last year, I wasn't too comfortable with the tires so the pads lasted longer. This year, 3 track days and I killed them due to more confidence with the tires. I even swapped brake fluid from ATE Super Blue to Motul 600 since I was boiling them a little.

I'm looking for something that would last maybe 10 track days. How's XP10 compare? Maybe there's an endurance pad that has less bite.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
mabviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:40 PM   #165
CounterSpace Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabviper View Post
I'm also shopping for a new brake pad compound. I run DS2500 front and rear with Nankang NS2Rs 120 tires.

The pads lasted 6 or so track days. Last year, I wasn't too comfortable with the tires so the pads lasted longer. This year, 3 track days and I killed them due to more confidence with the tires. I even swapped brake fluid from ATE Super Blue to Motul 600 since I was boiling them a little.

I'm looking for something that would last maybe 10 track days. How's XP10 compare? Maybe there's an endurance pad that has less bite.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
What track are you running? DS2500 is a hybrid pad, like Winmax W3, PMU HC+800, Hawk HP+. How pads are manufactured can also affect bite as friction coefficient is not going to be as consistent with compressibility. High end brake pads are more consistent for this reason. While tier 2-3 brake pad manufacturers have pads that can work for the track, grassroots, and privateer racing, they are not necessarily used in professional motorsports and definitely not used in the upper crust of the motorsports world.

With that said, XP10 may actually give you a few extra days, but not necessarily 10 days. This is affected by your car, your pace, the course, and the environment.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:07 AM   #166
sIowbrz

Drives: 2015 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Why is the hc+800 have a smaller footprint than OEM pads?
sIowbrz is offline   Reply With Quote