follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 03-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #15
Midship Runabout
formerly Dixie Normous

Drives: The ladies wild!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
^ speaking of magazines, the new DSport mag has a shit ton of good information in it. Its the all tech issue. If anyone cares.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #16
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
The #1 thing to keep in mind is don't be a douchebag!! I've seen quite a few tuning shops in Southern CA lose business only because the owner burnt a customer or didn't know how to run a shop correctly. All it takes is one bad move customers will move on.

If you are going to open up a shop, start small and don't skip on college. As others mentioned, get your GED, take some business and shop classes at a J/C to help you learn a trade.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:39 PM   #17
LexusFman

Drives: None
Thanks everyone for the advice. And yeah the DSport issue is pretty cool. I know a bit about eingine tuning but barley know anything about suspention tuning lol. When the FT86 comes out are they gonna rename the fourm?
LexusFman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:33 PM   #18
1GoZoom
Mazda and Ecotec Owner

Drives: 2004 Mazda 6S
While technically you don't NEED an education to do anything (don't believe the school Guidance Counselors...most are dumber than you), it certainly does help you get in the door. Do an apprenticeship somewhere. Like someone said, community college for welding, maybe a bachelors later on in computer science at a school with an automotive program so you could focus your studies.

I got my job DJing not because of my music degree (which I did not consider at the time.). I made contacts and learned the trade form the best I knew and honed my skills. Now I'm about to finish a music performance/education degree and start a masters program in audio production/sound engineering to compliment the job and help me move farther in. Doing things such as designing MIDI soundboard and working in car audio.

In essence, just work hard, be respectful, and always be willing to learn. get an education after the fact, once you know what it is you will be doing so you can build on it. This whole go to college for four years, waste 100k+ and not even use the degree is dumb. Idk why people do it. /rant

2004 Mazda6S MTX
2006 Saturn Ion 2.4L "Sport" MTX
1GoZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #19
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GoZoom View Post
While technically you don't NEED an education to do anything (don't believe the school Guidance Counselors...most are dumber than you), it certainly does help you get in the door. Do an apprenticeship somewhere. Like someone said, community college for welding, maybe a bachelors later on in computer science at a school with an automotive program so you could focus your studies.

I got my job DJing not because of my music degree (which I did not consider at the time.). I made contacts and learned the trade form the best I knew and honed my skills. Now I'm about to finish a music performance/education degree and start a masters program in audio production/sound engineering to compliment the job and help me move farther in. Doing things such as designing MIDI soundboard and working in car audio.

In essence, just work hard, be respectful, and always be willing to learn. get an education after the fact, once you know what it is you will be doing so you can build on it. This whole go to college for four years, waste 100k+ and not even use the degree is dumb. Idk why people do it. /rant
Getting a degree gets your foot in the door. Just because you know why things work doesn't mean you know how it works.

Only thing I find completely useless is why get a "GE" (ie. English, math, history) when you're not really going to be using it for your major unless it is absolutely necessary.

As for the OP.
Many others have said it and that is to get an internship/apprenticeship from someone who is willing to take you under their wing, but remember, they're not going to baby you through the whole process (like oh this works because this combusts with this and makes the atoms do this therefore causing that which makes it move and the harms the air).

I'm not going to really tell you how to take your life as I can only give you advice. Since I grew up in a family full of people who take education very seriously I'm not going to throw the "GET AN EDUCATION LOSER" talk at you.

Like said, you decide what you want to do. People around you can only give you advice.
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #20
aliphian
Dreamer

Drives: Nutless Grocery Getter
I think higher education is a joke for some people. In my personal experience, it wasn't worth the $$$ or the time investment.

Want to know how I got into accounting? I got a job at a real estate firm doing random office work for $10/hr. After a few weeks, my manager asked me if I knew accounting. I told him "Of course I do." (I had no clue). So I faked my way through it, reverse engineering everything I saw him do. I read a lot about accounting in my off time. About 6 months after my start date with the company, I took my managers job and his salary. LOL

What I am saying is that all it really takes is determination.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
aliphian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #21
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
higher education is very important in some circumstances. many companies won't even give you an interview if you don't have a bachelor's degree.

LexusFman - when you say you know something about engine tuning, what do you mean? are you talking about mechanical parts such as cams and valves? or do you mean setting up and tuning an EMS?
2008 Civic Si Sedan
NESW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #22
Midship Runabout
formerly Dixie Normous

Drives: The ladies wild!
Sell drugs. Those dudes make bank!
Old 04-20-2022, 02:13 AM   #23
Michael_Lym

Drives: Toyota GT-86
Thanks to your all. Just found this topic;

Quote:
Books are your friends...

I highly recommend these two books:

http://www.amazon.com/Engine-Managem.../dp/1932494421

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CE4Q8wIwAA#
Excellent books! I am a self-learner, so it is very important to have recommendations like yours because, in the beginning, you will feel like you are in smog and uncertainty.
Cuisine editor at PhdEssayhttps://phdessay.com/free-essays-on/bread-and-pastry/ where I produce papers and essays on bread and pastry. I am an educated cook that passionate about his professional activity. I drive Toyota GT-86 and would love to tune it by myself.

Last edited by Michael_Lym; 04-22-2022 at 02:42 PM.
Michael_Lym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 07:31 AM   #24
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Reported