follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 07-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #701
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Weasel View Post
Also... it's been mentioned that the better comparison is to a 50 shot of nitrous, which is right on the money. So, having just seen this... here's an advantage that this kit has over that option...

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/pro...ium=socialflow
No pop-off valve?
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #702
Wild Weasel

Drives: 2001 Sunfire GT + 2007 Mazdaspeed3
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
No pop-off valve?
Apparently real men don't use pop-off valves.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #703
Robftss

Drives: VW
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
All things considered, it is a hybrid of Nitrous and traditional FI. It literally (edit: essentially ?) slots 1/2 way between both.

Last edited by Robftss; 07-08-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Robftss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #704
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robftss View Post
All things considered, it is a hybrid of Nitrous and traditional FI. It literally slots 1/2 way between both.
It "literally" does not. No nitrous is involved, this is just an alternative non-parasitic FI option.

I apologize for my tone, but the overuse of "literally" is fast becoming a pet peeve of mine.
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #705
Wild Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robftss... Probably
DAMMIT! I'm an engineer, not an English major!!
Old 07-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #706
WolfsFang
Scrape Master

Drives: Goal: Oldest FRS State Side
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
is this something that will be produced? Depending on price I would 100% get this.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #707
Pete

Drives: 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
It "literally" does not. No nitrous is involved, this is just an alternative non-parasitic FI option.

I apologize for my tone, but the overuse of "literally" is fast becoming a pet peeve of mine.
I think he was just referring to the fact that you can only use it in very short bursts, but it recharges its own "nitrous". I know what you mean about "literally" though.

I agree that this doesn't compare well to regular FI, since it can only be used in such short "bursts" its not really an "always on" power solution like a turbo or supercharger. Since it only engages at full throttle that means throttle modulation for any sort of precision driving is unlikely to work well. I would guess that the most common use for this will be stop light drag racing, which it should do just fine with, if that is what you are looking for.

I can see a device like this being the #1 choice when battery technology reaches the point that you can use full boost for say 60+ seconds without a need to recharge, and modulating the throttle is possible without losing boost.
HunterGreene (07-08-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #708
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I think he was just referring to the fact that you can only use it in very short bursts, but it recharges its own "nitrous". I know what you mean about "literally" though.
You're correct, I left that part out of my reply. A good term for this (besides e-charger) would be "burst-charger."
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HunterGreene For This Useful Post:
Pete (07-08-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #709
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Fenton seems to not be ashamed to admit that his car is in serious need of a driver mod. The point being that a talented driver might find that with the latest modification that is intended to eliminate restriction when not at full throttle, the responsiveness might be improved enough to make a sufficient improvement over stock to reduce lap times.
What I'm trying to say is that it might be good for more than just straight lines.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #710
Wild Weasel

Quote:
I agree that this doesn't compare well to regular FI, since it can only be used in such short "bursts" its not really an "always on" power solution like a turbo or supercharger. Since it only engages at full throttle that means throttle modulation for any sort of precision driving is unlikely to work well. I would guess that the most common use for this will be stop light drag racing, which it should do just fine with, if that is what you are looking for.
I understand what you're saying with regard to precision driving, but I don't want people to misunderstand how this thing is useful. You say it's not really "always on" by which I'm sure you mean that it's not increasing the overall consumption of the engine like a regular turbo. So the engine does not behave as though it were simply a bigger engine.

But from all testing so far, it IS always available when you want it, and it's definitely useful for more than just hooning. The power is immediately available any time you want full acceleration whether that means running up an on-ramp or pulling out to pass someone.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #711
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Translation please.
"Hooning"?

I feel like Data when they took the country star on board. "Pit woofie?"
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #712
Pete

Drives: 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Weasel View Post
...But from all testing so far, it IS always available when you want it...
It's not available if you have just used it. You have to wait for it to recharge. Thus not always on.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #713
Wild Weasel

Quote:
It's not available if you have just used it. You have to wait for it to recharge. Thus not always on.
This is not true. Nobody who has tested one has yet to be able to run it out.

And that's exactly the misunderstanding I expect a lot of people might have when reading about this. I did everything I could to actively try to run down the battery and simply couldn't do it. The blower was available any time I wanted it. Unless you're on the Autobahn and can hold the throttle wide open for long periods of time, the system will charge faster than you can run it down.

The only opportunity on this side of the sea to run it down might be over a few laps at a track event. I don't think anyone has tried this yet.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #714
Wild Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
Translation please.
"Hooning"?

I feel like Data when they took the country star on board. "Pit woofie?"
Sorry... driving like a maniac. I'm just making the point that this is useful to people who aren't idiots too. This isn't just a red-light-racer toy.

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive