follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 08-04-2014, 03:37 PM   #7001
KAOS

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 10 Series
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
So using compressed air to push the turbine converting the energy to then compress air into the engine?
I honestly think he needs to sound out his idea with more technical people before wasting time on it considering his previous suggestions.
Oh how I wish I could just spell it out for everyone. Unfortunately, unless you guys want to make an investment or get your hands dirty and help me build it, I can't. I'm up for pm's. Btw, I haven't the first clue how the phantom logic works so my idea was just an example of how I might do it more than anything else. And no, compressed air as you guys have mentioned will not work.
KAOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:41 PM   #7002
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAOS View Post
Oh how I wish I could just spell it out for everyone. Unfortunately, unless you guys want to make an investment or get your hands dirty and help me build it, I can't. I'm up for pm's. Btw, I haven't the first clue how the phantom logic works so my idea was just an example of how I might do it more than anything else. And no, compressed air as you guys have mentioned will not work.
I won't be quick to judge but I have to see the hardware and performance before I'm a believer. Being vague doesn't help to build any excitement.

The Phantom system had 1000s of non believers...it took me going to the dyno and posting it up before people really started believing.

I am happily surprised the progress Rob has made in 1 quick year on this platform.
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:06 PM   #7003
robwbright

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited WRB Phantom ESC 1.5
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmHamSandwich View Post
Your description of its similarity to vtec touches on somewhat familiar ground, as my previous car was a K20 Si. Even so the power added by the vtec transition doesn't seem nearly on par with this system.

Is this a valid concern for this system? Are my concerns totally misplaced, somewhat of an issue in practice, or are folks brushing it under the rug?
I understand your concern and I don't think it's really an issue (your mileage may vary, as each person is different). It's not a shot of nitrous. While lag is minimal, it comes on smooth - similar to the original VTEC - just more of it. As I noted, I haven't had an issue with the rear breaking loose or coming around in corners unless I specifically wanted it to - and that was low speed 1st/2nd gear stuff... and one could do that in the stock car (to a lesser extent) if one wanted to (See Jeremy Clarkson's Top Gear review of the GT86 - he drifts it at like 25 mph).

I'm not saying the system is ideal for what you are trying to accomplish... and I'm not saying it isn't. But I don't think there's a hard enough "hit" at engagement to cause the issues you're concerned about - especially once you've driven it 50 miles on curves and gotten used to it. If I put Pilot Super Sports on the car, I'd probably have a much more difficult time breaking it loose at all - even with the ESC. But these stock tires are really not grippy at all.

It really just feels like you've replaced the 2.0l 4 cylinder with a 3.0l 6 cyl (or something like that...). To me, the stock motor had a little bit of VTEC "feel" to it at around 4500 rpm - it pulled and then pulled harder. Now it PROGRESSIVELY pulls even harder. Again, it's not a NOS shot.

Before I went with the ESC, I wanted more hp/tq... but not enough to require other mods like an upgraded clutch. I didn't want to drag race the new Z28 or Corvettes, but I wanted to lower the 0-60 down into the mid to high 5s and just have a more fun car to drive.

I've told this story on here before, but you probably haven't read all of the thread... When I was initially talking going full time (relatively low boost) FI (again, I didn't want to do other related mods), my shifter kart racing, late model racing, 25 year transmission mechanic father in law said, "what you really need is a 50 shot of NOS and I can set it up for you to be used safely." Of course, he didn't realize that NOS is illegal to use on the street here in Ohio... so I wasn't going that route. When I told him about this ESC system, he was somewhat skeptical (as was I) and then interested... Once I got it, he couldn't believe I installed it in less than 3 hours actual install time by myself (I'm not really an auto mechanic - dirt bikes, I can do. Cars, not so much - oil changes, brake pads and tire rotations are about as far as I go). Then I let him drive it and he was duly impressed with the system's usability, hp/tq gains for $2500 (with OFT) and improved gas mileage. Everyone I've had in the car has been impressed with the gains compared to stock - included in that is my brother in law who has a 6cyl Genesis Coupe. "That's just what your car needed! Now you've got a great handling car that's also pretty quick".

It is what it is - a lot of bang for the buck that's fun, controllable and easily converted back to stock.
1997 Honda Accord Coupe
1995 Honda Prelude VTEC
robwbright is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to robwbright For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-04-2014), enwave (08-04-2014), fenton (08-04-2014), Gums (08-04-2014), Sojhinn (08-04-2014), Winjr (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 04:27 PM   #7004
enwave
That headunit though...

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited SSM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
1000x agree with Rob here. I've called it similar to a NOS shot a few pages back, but I only meant that as a power comparison. Because it comes in with that 0.5-1.0s spool, it is very manageable. Rob did say it is like driving a V6. That's a good comparison -- only its like being able to turn your four cylinder into a V6 when you want, since it is on demand.

I do have PSS on my car, and have not broken the end loose thanks to the charger anywhere but the first lap on the track with it, and it's entirely possible that I would have done the same stock.

It really is something you have to drive or ride to understand completely, in my opinion.
enwave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to enwave For This Useful Post:
robwbright (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #7005
shif7i7down
Erected Member

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
Got any vids rolling on the power in first and going through a couple gears?
Sadly no not at the moment, had to take it back to the shop for reshimming.
It was whining under load and at high speed. They're going to try to move the backlash from .006 to .0085 to see if that'll help.
shif7i7down is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shif7i7down For This Useful Post:
fenton (08-04-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 01:20 AM   #7006
murselyfe

Drives: It's black.
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Gave a demo Phantom ESC ride to @murselyfe

I'd say he was impressed, but maybe he can post his own impressions. Dude is building a killer car.
It's safe to say that yes, I was impressed.

DAEMANO (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 03:59 AM   #7007
KAOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
I won't be quick to judge but I have to see the hardware and performance before I'm a believer. Being vague doesn't help to build any excitement.

The Phantom system had 1000s of non believers...it took me going to the dyno and posting it up before people really started believing.

I am happily surprised the progress Rob has made in 1 quick year on this platform.
Ok, one last post and I'll stop interfering with this thread. I originally popped in just to see how things were going for the ESC guys and saw that I may be of some use to a fellow twin driver so I offered up a possible solution. Then I messed up and told everyone that I was building a supercharger knowing I can't really go into detail with a patent in process. That wasn't my only mistake, I probably did it in the wrong place as well. My intention was not to generate excitement but more to inform those pondering the idea of alternative FI that soon there would be more options. Again, wrong place, wrong time. My bad. I'm just a guy with too many ideas. Some work and some don't. I keep the ones that don't to myself. Guess I put the cart before the horse in a dog race. That's a fairly honest explanation of what happened here and now I have zero reason to return and gum up the works. Any speculation about my system is just that, speculation. Feel free to continue. Although, I will respond when I am quoted 99.9% of the time.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:19 AM   #7008
KAOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
Yeap, hence I would be interested in this new stored/readily available power source for curiosity sake. Your suggestion of a pneumatic system makes sense so I ran with it for the point of discussion.
It is always best to ask all the critical questions first then to have wasted time/money on it though. There is just way too much to consider and his previous suggestion just lacked the practicality in actual implementation, actually the starting point was inaccurate to begin with. It did sound smart for the average Joe but yeah, that's about it.
Btw, lol. Ok, now I'm done.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:43 AM   #7009
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAOS View Post
Ok, one last post and I'll stop interfering with this thread. I originally popped in just to see how things were going for the ESC guys and saw that I may be of some use to a fellow twin driver so I offered up a possible solution. Then I messed up and told everyone that I was building a supercharger knowing I can't really go into detail with a patent in process. That wasn't my only mistake, I probably did it in the wrong place as well. My intention was not to generate excitement but more to inform those pondering the idea of alternative FI that soon there would be more options. Again, wrong place, wrong time. My bad. I'm just a guy with too many ideas. Some work and some don't. I keep the ones that don't to myself. Guess I put the cart before the horse in a dog race. That's a fairly honest explanation of what happened here and now I have zero reason to return and gum up the works. Any speculation about my system is just that, speculation. Feel free to continue. Although, I will respond when I am quoted 99.9% of the time.

You know there is an open source electric supercharger thread don't you?
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41148
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:46 AM   #7010
enwave
That headunit though...

Reporting back after a dealer visit. I decided this time to leave the controller and batteries intact (removed compressor and throttle position lever/voltmeter) and leave tucked/zip tied cables just out of curiosity for what the dealer would say. If they asked, I would be forthcoming and tell them about the ESC -- not trying to hide anything here.

Surprisingly, they didn't ask a single question. Part of the maintenance was a battery test, and they didn't even make a note about a wacky battery setup.

Of course, your mileage may vary, as usual. But I thought that was interesting...

Next time maybe I'll leave the compressor in the passenger seat, just for fun
The Following User Says Thank You to enwave For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #7011
SloS14

Drives: 2013 FR-S whiteout
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enwave View Post
Next time maybe I'll leave the compressor in the passenger seat, just for fun
Don't poke the bear
SloS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SloS14 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-05-2014), DC2R (08-06-2014), enwave (08-05-2014), hybrid35 (08-05-2014), MagicBobert (08-05-2014), TM (08-06-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 01:34 PM   #7012
shif7i7down
Erected Member

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
They probably be like, lol this ricer bought a electric supercharger, those things dont work. Than leave a link to the YouTube might car mod video.
shif7i7down is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shif7i7down For This Useful Post:
DC2R (08-06-2014), enwave (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #7013
enwave
That headunit though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloS14 View Post
Don't poke the bear

True, though if the ESC causes any issues (which I doubt it will) I'd own up to it and pay for the repairs even if they didn't know about the ESC. So really I am just testing the waters. I almost decided this morning that I wouldn't even bother taking it off.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:24 PM   #7014
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Took a video today

Hey guys,

I took a video today to hopefully show how smooth and seamless this thing works on the road. Unfortunately the video does not show the Volt meter so you will have to guess when i go WOT, this should be pretty good testament to how smooth it is
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
enwave (08-05-2014)

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive